After over a year in the making, the suit is finally finished. This is the ref sheet used, which is a recolouring of the freely available ref sheet by Mick39. I've lost count of the total amount of hours used on this project by now, but damn was it worth it!
If seeing a fursuit gives you existential dread, escape now while you still have the chance!
First off I will be making a new pair of feet based on the old sergal design, as I figured these will work better on a suit - and they look cool. (There's no protruding toe that screams "trip on me!", which was a problem with my first pair of feet.)
A sock was sewn on to a pair of unused underwear pants as the base for the digitigrade legs and feet. I went overkill with three seams, but triple redundancy is fine here as fixing a tear hiding behind so much foam is a headache I want to avoid.
The calfs and thighs were made by making a paper template, which was traced onto 3cm foam. The foam was glued on using hot glue. A total of 3 layers was used, trimmed to shape to imitate the digitigrade leg structure.
The feet was carved from a single 10cm thick foam pillow. It makes them both more comfortable and ensures that there's less places where water can get stuck (between solidified hotglue and layers) when washing them. Padding was also added to the lower leg to smooth the transition between leg and foot.
The tail was drawn on a bunch of A4 sheets, which was then cut out and marked on the foam. This foam was 5cm thick.
Due to the way this foam is stored, vacuum packed in a roll, it has a slight curve to it, even after some days in the open. The two tail halves were glued such that they curved into eachother, making the adhesion more secure.
All the foam was trimmed with scissors. Messy work, not as bad as styrofoam, but still a bitch to deal with.
The tail was covered in a sock to prevent wear and tear on the foam, and also to make it easier to handle without the fur (the tail is designed to be separated from it's fur cover to make it easier to wash and transport).
Spikes were added to the tail tip and filled with polyfill.
The polyfill was covered by fabric to ensure it stays put. I did end up removing two of the spikes at they didn't look as good.
The tail couldn't be supported by a belt hoop alone as the foam compressed under it's own weight. A little bit of engineering work gave me this design that worked surprisingly well. The central nylon strip in green tightens as the tail starts to sag, such that it doesn't sag to the floor. The various other nylon straps are just additional support such that it hugs my hip firmly.
Nearly finished tail, once again, the two spikes furthest from the tip ended up being removed.
The feet were made by using a thicker elastic fabric for the beans, sewn directly to the fur backing. Both fabrics can allow water and air to pass through, making washing and drying easier than say larger pieces of vinyl.
Vinyl claws were attached, and then the fur was glued onto the foam feet.
I then made a tape dummy of my right leg, and transferred this design flat to the fur. Larger pieces was cut in two such that both pieces could lay flat.
Finishing up the right leg.
The legs were sewn to the feet by hand, as it was impossible to reach it by machine.
The legs are beginning to take shape.
I then realized that they were way too baggy. A piece that was 5-7cm wide was cut out length wise on both legs, the wound was sewn together by machine.
Cutting out the material for the torso.
Sewing together the torso from a whole lot of pieces. Mostly by machine, but the ends were sewn by hand.
Attaching the zipper on the left part of the torso.
Spent way too much figuring out how the arm was supposed to attach to the shoulder.
The neck was kinda loose, so I had to tighten this one up as well. Really shows the importance of having a proper ducttape dummy (DTD), not something quickly slapped together as I had.
As I made a half DTD for my left torso and mirrored it, it ended up being too wide (to no ones surprise)... and I had to do the same procedure as I did on the legs.
Attaching the rim on the neck of the suit. Note: This one is stretchy. Do not use a stretchy neck as it will elongate a tad under the weight of the suit. This will be fixed when I get the time. The hole where the pencil is, is there so I can secure the upper part of the zipper more securely for longtime wear.
Elastic bands are added to the arms. Note that the fur is trimmed where the band will overlap the fur to reduce the bulkyness.
I attached a 75cm zipper to the end of the tail, and did the same for the suit. The double parallel pins marks where I felt the tail should sit when I did some test fitting. I ended up changing the position a little bit as you can see.
Here lies a lifeless husk.. About time to make this bad boy come to life!
To everyone who has followed this project, thank you. It has been a large and time consuming undertaking, but at long last it is finished.
Now it's onto new projects, I might have something coming up by the first half of 2020. I'm also drooling over a 3D printer, and I'm kinda pumped to do some scifi stuff, so who knows what the future brings!