After much procrastination, and work, I have finally completed my first black smithing project. Did all the woodworking and steel working by hand. The only power tool used was a stand grinder.
I first started off using an old ball peen hammer head as my steel. Figured I would start off with something easy. Found it at a resale place for 3 bucks.
I worked the steel and got a rough shape I was semi happy with. I wanted to make sure i could still grind and also make a spike for the back of the axe head.
I didnt heat treat it, because Im still experimenting with how to get proper hardness down. (Ha)
I wish i had taken more progress pictures of the handle construction. I started out with a log of cherry wood which I split, quartered, staved, whittled, chiseled, filled, and sanded.
I cut myself plenty of times on it, but all good projects take a bit of blood to complete.
Handled sanded and to size, next I would go on to apply a few coats of linseed oil and polyurethane for a nice finish.
Pictured is the raw wood.
A better view of the spike on the head. Overall the axe has several flaws but for a first ever wood working and black smith project, Im happy with it.