This ring above is made for my girlfriend. Below is an image of the ring where I got the stone from. The ring that she had became more and more thin. A result of mass producing silver in a cast model. Or even from just using very thin material.
The goal was to use this rings beautiful stone and make something sturdy yet feminine in appearance. As my girlfriend is a person who values nature and plants I knew what I had to do. I was going to sculpt a flower that buds into this moonstone. Forever symbolizing my love for her by making something that won't wear. Like my feelings for her (hopefully fam hahaha).
In this image you can clearly see the glue that was used to keep the stone in place. If there is anything a goldsmith is proudful of is setting a stone without the use of adhesives like this. A proper setting is made of metal unless otherwise impossible or not practical. For example some opals are secured with a drop of glue so it won't shatter when it gets a hit or nudge because glue will absorb a bit of the force. Even then we avoid it as much as possible because glue will fade away eventually.
The starting band made of pretty thick sterling silver.
The band is hammered out for structural integrity and to get the ring to the right size
I drew some lines and got to sawing the rough shapes and forms.
I took measurements of the stone and made a pretty thick fitting which I ******* regretted later on. You live you learn hahaha.
I took out the part with the seam in the ring for the stone with the fitting. This way I won't have a seam at the bottom of the ring further making the ring as sturdy as possible. This is a close up of the root system i filed and sawed which eventually follows up into leaves.
A few images of me setting the stone
Checking if there is no space between the stone and the silver fitting
The finished product!