20 Of The Weirdest Things About
America That Americans Don' t
Realize Are Weird
L Portion Sizes.
2. Flags everywhere. EVERYWHERE.
B. Price tags without tax included. How do you
know how much you' re spending until you
get to the cashier?
4. Tipping: It was incredibly hard for me to
wrap my head about how much is
appropriate for the service.
5. Advertising prescription drugs. That was the
weirdest one for me. "ask your doctor for
brand x antidepressants" type commercials
on TV. In the UK, your doctor tells you what
drugs you should take, not the other way
6. Everything being designed around cars.
7. The sheer amount of commercials on the
television, and their lack of quality.
8. Aerosol cheese. Like seriously I would try it
at least once, but that shit looks like cancer.
s. a visiting Italian friend was very puzzled at
Americans' use of the phrase, "Oh, really?" in
group conversations. Somehow he took that
as a person challenging his opinion, when in
reality, it' s just some habit a lot of us have
that basically means, "Interesting. Can you
elaborate?" The guy was red in the face after
an hour because he literally thought
everyone in our group was challenging every
single thing he said.
10. Your toilets are too low down and the stalls
have massive gaps around the door so that
people can see in. You can put a man on the
moon but can' t design a setup whereby I can
have a dump in comfortable privacy. Sort it
11. Pickles. Your hidden love for pickles. I have
been in the states for like 8 years and you
guys give a pickle with everything.
12. I find it really weird how college football
players are kind of celebrities. They' re
scrutinized and have fans and do TV
interviews, and it Just boggles my mind so
much. They' re just students that do an extra-
curricular activity! I don' t understand.
13. Jaywalking is a crime? I did this a lot in the
us without realizing it was supposed to be
14. Why is bread in the USA so sweet? Sandwich
bread, hamburger buns, taste like cake but
Americans have no idea what you' re talking
about because they' re used to it.
15. Soft drink is free flowing, everywhere.
Mcdonalds you get a gigantic cup for a dollar
it comes with unlimited refills. Even at a
restaurant if you half finish your coke the
waitress will bring you another one. The first
time you' re like "hey I didn' t order this" but
then you realize it' s free.
16. You are all so loud! But friendly.
17. There is so much water in your toilet bowls!
Seriously, why so much?
18. A very blaser approach to credit card security.
Signatures don' t matter and no one uses a
19. The pledge of allegiance is creepy. I know
most Americans just say it because they have
to in school but if you listen to the words it
sounds strange to have children just chanting
20. Lawyer adverts, everywhere. Saul Goodman