x
Click to expand

nightmaren

Last status update:
-
Personal Info
Gender: male
Consoles Owned: Xbox 360, DSi, PS2, Wii, Laptop
Video Games Played: Skyrim, Halo Reach, Pokemon Ruby,
X-box Gamertag: NiGHTMARREN
Date Signed Up:12/25/2010
Last Login:7/26/2015
Location:Ontario
Funnyjunk Career Stats
Content Thumbs: 728 total,  1082 ,  354
Comment Thumbs: 25782 total,  32105 ,  6323
Content Level Progress: 70% (7/10)
Level 72 Content: FJ Cultist → Level 73 Content: FJ Cultist
Comment Level Progress: 30% (300/1000)
Level 325 Comments: Covered In Thumbs → Level 326 Comments: Covered In Thumbs
Subscribers:5
Content Views:53442
Times Content Favorited:105 times
Total Comments Made:8000
FJ Points:2938

latest user's comments

#28 - 'still here' 05/02/2015 on Some people should learn this 0
#95 - I'm not trying to twist things to make it look like he did som… 04/29/2015 on Go green 0
#2 - This is what I think when I see all the racist content on this…  [+] (2 new replies) 04/28/2015 on Some people should learn this -1
#5 - anon (04/29/2015) [-]
Your comment begs the question of why you're still here
User avatar #28 - nightmaren (05/02/2015) [-]
'still here'
#69 - Because that's literally not the point of the comic. I can pro…  [+] (2 new replies) 04/28/2015 on Go green 0
User avatar #70 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
So to you, it's unfair for him to try and save money? It's evil for him to not spend money he doesn't have to? Because he didn't do anything wrong, despite you wanting to try and find some way of twisting him being smart into being bad. The same as the artist, who really just didn't think it through.

Paying people = using people
getting people to do things without paying them = smart, not evil
not spending money you don't have to = smart, not evil
not working had when you don't have to = smart, not evil

And he's helping the community, because that park is a part of the environment.

If he wasn't wearing a suit, would you still label him as evil?
User avatar #95 - nightmaren (04/29/2015) [-]
I'm not trying to twist things to make it look like he did something wrong. I'm saying he did something wrong. It's pretty widely agreed upon that exploiting people = bad.
I don't know what makes you think that paying someone to do something is using them, that's pretty stupid. Paying people to do things for you is only 'using them' in a literal sense. When you pay someone to do something they know what they're doing, and they know why you want them to do it. When you trick people into doing something because you don't want to pay someone to do it, or you don't want to do it yourself, and your cards aren't all on the table, and youu don't give any money back to the people who helped clean it: you are exploiting them. It's not even up for debate.
It is a smart move though, and I do admire what he did, the same way I admire Petyr Baelish. Petyr's one of my favourite characters, but that doesn't mean he's not a dick.
Again, we shouldn't admire the guy in this comic for "helping the community" because he didn't set out to improve the community; he set out to use people for his personal gain. To help explain this to you, I've revised your chart.

Paying people = Giving people money to complete a task they set out to do. Helps them put food on the table and pay their bills. Helps the economy. You said early that giving people "good feelings" is worth more than money. That's not even mildly true.
getting people to do things without paying them = Smart, although it doesn't help the economy, it doesn't help feed anybody, it doesn't help pay anybody's bills. Is only morally okay if the people you're getting to do the things know why you're doing it and all your cards are on the table and they agree to it.
not spending money you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
not working had when you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
#67 - No, hiring someone to do something is consensual for lac…  [+] (4 new replies) 04/28/2015 on Go green +2
User avatar #68 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
He's not lying about anything. He's just not telling the people he owns the land - and I don't think that matters at all. He wants his land clean, that's the important thing, and so he's getting it done. He's not making the people believe anything they wouldn't otherwise believe. He's not saying he doesn't own the land. And even though he's not paying the people, they're still getting a more important reward than cash. Feelings. All cash does is give people a way to go get good feelings - he's just giving them the good feelings. Is it such a bad thing that it happens to benefit him as well? I don't think so.
User avatar #69 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
Because that's literally not the point of the comic. I can promise you that the author did not intend for that to be representative of him at all. As I've already stated, this comic is clearly about how the rich exploit the poor; you're not meant to assume that all he wants is to make people happy. And I would think that if he did, he would also have some kind of sense of fairness, and would at least donate something to the community, or give the organizers some money.
It's honestly not debatable that he used and exploited people for his own profit; as he could have just hired and payed people to clean the land for him, which would still have been a good thing, similar to "letting people feel good about it". It would have had the same result, and some people would have gotten money, which goes a lot farther than feeling good about yourself. He motivated the people to do it so he wouldn't have to pay anybody. End of the story. Just because good things happened because of it doesn't excuse the fact that he manipulated a group of people for his own selfish profit.
User avatar #70 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
So to you, it's unfair for him to try and save money? It's evil for him to not spend money he doesn't have to? Because he didn't do anything wrong, despite you wanting to try and find some way of twisting him being smart into being bad. The same as the artist, who really just didn't think it through.

Paying people = using people
getting people to do things without paying them = smart, not evil
not spending money you don't have to = smart, not evil
not working had when you don't have to = smart, not evil

And he's helping the community, because that park is a part of the environment.

If he wasn't wearing a suit, would you still label him as evil?
User avatar #95 - nightmaren (04/29/2015) [-]
I'm not trying to twist things to make it look like he did something wrong. I'm saying he did something wrong. It's pretty widely agreed upon that exploiting people = bad.
I don't know what makes you think that paying someone to do something is using them, that's pretty stupid. Paying people to do things for you is only 'using them' in a literal sense. When you pay someone to do something they know what they're doing, and they know why you want them to do it. When you trick people into doing something because you don't want to pay someone to do it, or you don't want to do it yourself, and your cards aren't all on the table, and youu don't give any money back to the people who helped clean it: you are exploiting them. It's not even up for debate.
It is a smart move though, and I do admire what he did, the same way I admire Petyr Baelish. Petyr's one of my favourite characters, but that doesn't mean he's not a dick.
Again, we shouldn't admire the guy in this comic for "helping the community" because he didn't set out to improve the community; he set out to use people for his personal gain. To help explain this to you, I've revised your chart.

Paying people = Giving people money to complete a task they set out to do. Helps them put food on the table and pay their bills. Helps the economy. You said early that giving people "good feelings" is worth more than money. That's not even mildly true.
getting people to do things without paying them = Smart, although it doesn't help the economy, it doesn't help feed anybody, it doesn't help pay anybody's bills. Is only morally okay if the people you're getting to do the things know why you're doing it and all your cards are on the table and they agree to it.
not spending money you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
not working had when you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
#64 - That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm not saying not doing go…  [+] (7 new replies) 04/28/2015 on Go green -1
User avatar #66 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
And if we could agree to keep our responses short now, I'm tired and this isn't fun.
User avatar #65 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
You manipulate people all the time! Hiring someone is manipulation. Asking someone to do something is manipulation. And it's no more cheap for him to do that instead of hiring someone than it's cheap for you to eat leftovers instead of buying more food. He's just finding a different way to do something. Tom fucking Sawyer does it and he's a goddamn literary hero with his white fence.

And those people aren't being abused. They're being shown a problem and they chose to care about that problem, and they chose to fix that problem. And the guy is definitely passionate about the problem. He's passionate because he'll get more money for clean land than shitty land, and there's nothing wrong with that.
User avatar #67 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
No, hiring someone to do something is consensual for lack of a better word , with all cards on the table. It's an agreement. Same thing when you ask someone to do something for you. They are agreeing to do something for you for your benefit. When someone gets a job, they are agreeing to do something to get paid.

When you run a campaign to motivate people into doing something, regardless of if it's a good thing or not, to get them to do something for free, that's exploitation. If the people really cared about the lake, they would have cleaned it themselves. If the guy said in his initial presentation "This is a job I could be simply paying other people to do, I'm going to pretend to give a shit about this thing and make it seem really important, so you think it's important enough to fix even though it probably isn't, and then I'll sell the land and take all the profit for myself and not give you any. Being passionate about something happening is different from being passionate about the issue itself. If someone wants to get good grades to go to a good school, that doesn't mean they're passionate about doing their homework.
User avatar #68 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
He's not lying about anything. He's just not telling the people he owns the land - and I don't think that matters at all. He wants his land clean, that's the important thing, and so he's getting it done. He's not making the people believe anything they wouldn't otherwise believe. He's not saying he doesn't own the land. And even though he's not paying the people, they're still getting a more important reward than cash. Feelings. All cash does is give people a way to go get good feelings - he's just giving them the good feelings. Is it such a bad thing that it happens to benefit him as well? I don't think so.
User avatar #69 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
Because that's literally not the point of the comic. I can promise you that the author did not intend for that to be representative of him at all. As I've already stated, this comic is clearly about how the rich exploit the poor; you're not meant to assume that all he wants is to make people happy. And I would think that if he did, he would also have some kind of sense of fairness, and would at least donate something to the community, or give the organizers some money.
It's honestly not debatable that he used and exploited people for his own profit; as he could have just hired and payed people to clean the land for him, which would still have been a good thing, similar to "letting people feel good about it". It would have had the same result, and some people would have gotten money, which goes a lot farther than feeling good about yourself. He motivated the people to do it so he wouldn't have to pay anybody. End of the story. Just because good things happened because of it doesn't excuse the fact that he manipulated a group of people for his own selfish profit.
User avatar #70 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
So to you, it's unfair for him to try and save money? It's evil for him to not spend money he doesn't have to? Because he didn't do anything wrong, despite you wanting to try and find some way of twisting him being smart into being bad. The same as the artist, who really just didn't think it through.

Paying people = using people
getting people to do things without paying them = smart, not evil
not spending money you don't have to = smart, not evil
not working had when you don't have to = smart, not evil

And he's helping the community, because that park is a part of the environment.

If he wasn't wearing a suit, would you still label him as evil?
User avatar #95 - nightmaren (04/29/2015) [-]
I'm not trying to twist things to make it look like he did something wrong. I'm saying he did something wrong. It's pretty widely agreed upon that exploiting people = bad.
I don't know what makes you think that paying someone to do something is using them, that's pretty stupid. Paying people to do things for you is only 'using them' in a literal sense. When you pay someone to do something they know what they're doing, and they know why you want them to do it. When you trick people into doing something because you don't want to pay someone to do it, or you don't want to do it yourself, and your cards aren't all on the table, and youu don't give any money back to the people who helped clean it: you are exploiting them. It's not even up for debate.
It is a smart move though, and I do admire what he did, the same way I admire Petyr Baelish. Petyr's one of my favourite characters, but that doesn't mean he's not a dick.
Again, we shouldn't admire the guy in this comic for "helping the community" because he didn't set out to improve the community; he set out to use people for his personal gain. To help explain this to you, I've revised your chart.

Paying people = Giving people money to complete a task they set out to do. Helps them put food on the table and pay their bills. Helps the economy. You said early that giving people "good feelings" is worth more than money. That's not even mildly true.
getting people to do things without paying them = Smart, although it doesn't help the economy, it doesn't help feed anybody, it doesn't help pay anybody's bills. Is only morally okay if the people you're getting to do the things know why you're doing it and all your cards are on the table and they agree to it.
not spending money you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
not working had when you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
#62 - If he didn't help then I would say he did a bad thing, persona…  [+] (9 new replies) 04/28/2015 on Go green 0
User avatar #63 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
I disagree. You're literally saying that if you have an opportunity do a good thing, and you don't, that you do a bad thing. You literally have every chance to do good things every day, but you don't, so by your logic everything you do is bad. And who says he's pretending to be passionate? He wants his land to be clean, and went through the trouble of getting the people on his side - he's clearly passionate.

And you can't assume bad about him that wasn't stated in the comic - I could say "what if he's a pedophile?". It changes the rules. If he was a pedophile, and the lake was where he rapes children, I'd say he's definitely doing something wrong in having the people clean up the evidence.
User avatar #64 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm not saying not doing good things is a bad thing. I'm saying exploiting people is a bad thing. I'm saying that actively manipulating people into doing shit for you for free because you're too cheap and lazy to do it yourself, or even fucking hire someone.

You're also assuming things about him that aren't mentioned in the comic. The reason this comic exists is to explain some of the faults of capitalism, or at least to show how the rich can abuse the poor, so I don't think your assessment that 'he's always owned the land and he wants to move but he wants to clean it up before he leaves because he's just so passionate about it and so he gathers the community together to clean it up before he sells it' is a fair one.
Yes, theoretically somebody could go through the four stages of this comic and be passionate about the lake and genuinely want the lake to be in a good condition before they sell it, and if that were the case I wouldn't think they were doing a bad thing, but that's not what this comic is about. This comic is about the people who do this without giving a shit, this is about the people who exploit others for their own profit.
User avatar #66 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
And if we could agree to keep our responses short now, I'm tired and this isn't fun.
User avatar #65 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
You manipulate people all the time! Hiring someone is manipulation. Asking someone to do something is manipulation. And it's no more cheap for him to do that instead of hiring someone than it's cheap for you to eat leftovers instead of buying more food. He's just finding a different way to do something. Tom fucking Sawyer does it and he's a goddamn literary hero with his white fence.

And those people aren't being abused. They're being shown a problem and they chose to care about that problem, and they chose to fix that problem. And the guy is definitely passionate about the problem. He's passionate because he'll get more money for clean land than shitty land, and there's nothing wrong with that.
User avatar #67 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
No, hiring someone to do something is consensual for lack of a better word , with all cards on the table. It's an agreement. Same thing when you ask someone to do something for you. They are agreeing to do something for you for your benefit. When someone gets a job, they are agreeing to do something to get paid.

When you run a campaign to motivate people into doing something, regardless of if it's a good thing or not, to get them to do something for free, that's exploitation. If the people really cared about the lake, they would have cleaned it themselves. If the guy said in his initial presentation "This is a job I could be simply paying other people to do, I'm going to pretend to give a shit about this thing and make it seem really important, so you think it's important enough to fix even though it probably isn't, and then I'll sell the land and take all the profit for myself and not give you any. Being passionate about something happening is different from being passionate about the issue itself. If someone wants to get good grades to go to a good school, that doesn't mean they're passionate about doing their homework.
User avatar #68 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
He's not lying about anything. He's just not telling the people he owns the land - and I don't think that matters at all. He wants his land clean, that's the important thing, and so he's getting it done. He's not making the people believe anything they wouldn't otherwise believe. He's not saying he doesn't own the land. And even though he's not paying the people, they're still getting a more important reward than cash. Feelings. All cash does is give people a way to go get good feelings - he's just giving them the good feelings. Is it such a bad thing that it happens to benefit him as well? I don't think so.
User avatar #69 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
Because that's literally not the point of the comic. I can promise you that the author did not intend for that to be representative of him at all. As I've already stated, this comic is clearly about how the rich exploit the poor; you're not meant to assume that all he wants is to make people happy. And I would think that if he did, he would also have some kind of sense of fairness, and would at least donate something to the community, or give the organizers some money.
It's honestly not debatable that he used and exploited people for his own profit; as he could have just hired and payed people to clean the land for him, which would still have been a good thing, similar to "letting people feel good about it". It would have had the same result, and some people would have gotten money, which goes a lot farther than feeling good about yourself. He motivated the people to do it so he wouldn't have to pay anybody. End of the story. Just because good things happened because of it doesn't excuse the fact that he manipulated a group of people for his own selfish profit.
User avatar #70 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
So to you, it's unfair for him to try and save money? It's evil for him to not spend money he doesn't have to? Because he didn't do anything wrong, despite you wanting to try and find some way of twisting him being smart into being bad. The same as the artist, who really just didn't think it through.

Paying people = using people
getting people to do things without paying them = smart, not evil
not spending money you don't have to = smart, not evil
not working had when you don't have to = smart, not evil

And he's helping the community, because that park is a part of the environment.

If he wasn't wearing a suit, would you still label him as evil?
User avatar #95 - nightmaren (04/29/2015) [-]
I'm not trying to twist things to make it look like he did something wrong. I'm saying he did something wrong. It's pretty widely agreed upon that exploiting people = bad.
I don't know what makes you think that paying someone to do something is using them, that's pretty stupid. Paying people to do things for you is only 'using them' in a literal sense. When you pay someone to do something they know what they're doing, and they know why you want them to do it. When you trick people into doing something because you don't want to pay someone to do it, or you don't want to do it yourself, and your cards aren't all on the table, and youu don't give any money back to the people who helped clean it: you are exploiting them. It's not even up for debate.
It is a smart move though, and I do admire what he did, the same way I admire Petyr Baelish. Petyr's one of my favourite characters, but that doesn't mean he's not a dick.
Again, we shouldn't admire the guy in this comic for "helping the community" because he didn't set out to improve the community; he set out to use people for his personal gain. To help explain this to you, I've revised your chart.

Paying people = Giving people money to complete a task they set out to do. Helps them put food on the table and pay their bills. Helps the economy. You said early that giving people "good feelings" is worth more than money. That's not even mildly true.
getting people to do things without paying them = Smart, although it doesn't help the economy, it doesn't help feed anybody, it doesn't help pay anybody's bills. Is only morally okay if the people you're getting to do the things know why you're doing it and all your cards are on the table and they agree to it.
not spending money you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
not working had when you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
#59 - Okay but he wouldn't have been delegating anything. The implic…  [+] (11 new replies) 04/28/2015 on Go green 0
User avatar #60 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
That's still not him doing anything bad. You're just saying he failed to do a good thing when given the opportunity, but he never did anything bad. We don't do a million good things every day.
User avatar #62 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
If he didn't help then I would say he did a bad thing, personally. Pretending to give a shit about something and speaking about it only to motivate others to do it for you so that you can make is a dick move imo unless he were to give some of the money from selling the place to the people who helped clean . Pretending to be passionate about something in order to exploit people are actually passionate about it to serve you is an asshole move, regardless of if it has a good effect or not.

Also whose not to say he's not planning on selling the figurative pond or lake to a resort or a hotel or a gas station or some shit like that and just tear up all the work the people did in the first place anyways?
User avatar #63 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
I disagree. You're literally saying that if you have an opportunity do a good thing, and you don't, that you do a bad thing. You literally have every chance to do good things every day, but you don't, so by your logic everything you do is bad. And who says he's pretending to be passionate? He wants his land to be clean, and went through the trouble of getting the people on his side - he's clearly passionate.

And you can't assume bad about him that wasn't stated in the comic - I could say "what if he's a pedophile?". It changes the rules. If he was a pedophile, and the lake was where he rapes children, I'd say he's definitely doing something wrong in having the people clean up the evidence.
User avatar #64 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm not saying not doing good things is a bad thing. I'm saying exploiting people is a bad thing. I'm saying that actively manipulating people into doing shit for you for free because you're too cheap and lazy to do it yourself, or even fucking hire someone.

You're also assuming things about him that aren't mentioned in the comic. The reason this comic exists is to explain some of the faults of capitalism, or at least to show how the rich can abuse the poor, so I don't think your assessment that 'he's always owned the land and he wants to move but he wants to clean it up before he leaves because he's just so passionate about it and so he gathers the community together to clean it up before he sells it' is a fair one.
Yes, theoretically somebody could go through the four stages of this comic and be passionate about the lake and genuinely want the lake to be in a good condition before they sell it, and if that were the case I wouldn't think they were doing a bad thing, but that's not what this comic is about. This comic is about the people who do this without giving a shit, this is about the people who exploit others for their own profit.
User avatar #66 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
And if we could agree to keep our responses short now, I'm tired and this isn't fun.
User avatar #65 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
You manipulate people all the time! Hiring someone is manipulation. Asking someone to do something is manipulation. And it's no more cheap for him to do that instead of hiring someone than it's cheap for you to eat leftovers instead of buying more food. He's just finding a different way to do something. Tom fucking Sawyer does it and he's a goddamn literary hero with his white fence.

And those people aren't being abused. They're being shown a problem and they chose to care about that problem, and they chose to fix that problem. And the guy is definitely passionate about the problem. He's passionate because he'll get more money for clean land than shitty land, and there's nothing wrong with that.
User avatar #67 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
No, hiring someone to do something is consensual for lack of a better word , with all cards on the table. It's an agreement. Same thing when you ask someone to do something for you. They are agreeing to do something for you for your benefit. When someone gets a job, they are agreeing to do something to get paid.

When you run a campaign to motivate people into doing something, regardless of if it's a good thing or not, to get them to do something for free, that's exploitation. If the people really cared about the lake, they would have cleaned it themselves. If the guy said in his initial presentation "This is a job I could be simply paying other people to do, I'm going to pretend to give a shit about this thing and make it seem really important, so you think it's important enough to fix even though it probably isn't, and then I'll sell the land and take all the profit for myself and not give you any. Being passionate about something happening is different from being passionate about the issue itself. If someone wants to get good grades to go to a good school, that doesn't mean they're passionate about doing their homework.
User avatar #68 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
He's not lying about anything. He's just not telling the people he owns the land - and I don't think that matters at all. He wants his land clean, that's the important thing, and so he's getting it done. He's not making the people believe anything they wouldn't otherwise believe. He's not saying he doesn't own the land. And even though he's not paying the people, they're still getting a more important reward than cash. Feelings. All cash does is give people a way to go get good feelings - he's just giving them the good feelings. Is it such a bad thing that it happens to benefit him as well? I don't think so.
User avatar #69 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
Because that's literally not the point of the comic. I can promise you that the author did not intend for that to be representative of him at all. As I've already stated, this comic is clearly about how the rich exploit the poor; you're not meant to assume that all he wants is to make people happy. And I would think that if he did, he would also have some kind of sense of fairness, and would at least donate something to the community, or give the organizers some money.
It's honestly not debatable that he used and exploited people for his own profit; as he could have just hired and payed people to clean the land for him, which would still have been a good thing, similar to "letting people feel good about it". It would have had the same result, and some people would have gotten money, which goes a lot farther than feeling good about yourself. He motivated the people to do it so he wouldn't have to pay anybody. End of the story. Just because good things happened because of it doesn't excuse the fact that he manipulated a group of people for his own selfish profit.
User avatar #70 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
So to you, it's unfair for him to try and save money? It's evil for him to not spend money he doesn't have to? Because he didn't do anything wrong, despite you wanting to try and find some way of twisting him being smart into being bad. The same as the artist, who really just didn't think it through.

Paying people = using people
getting people to do things without paying them = smart, not evil
not spending money you don't have to = smart, not evil
not working had when you don't have to = smart, not evil

And he's helping the community, because that park is a part of the environment.

If he wasn't wearing a suit, would you still label him as evil?
User avatar #95 - nightmaren (04/29/2015) [-]
I'm not trying to twist things to make it look like he did something wrong. I'm saying he did something wrong. It's pretty widely agreed upon that exploiting people = bad.
I don't know what makes you think that paying someone to do something is using them, that's pretty stupid. Paying people to do things for you is only 'using them' in a literal sense. When you pay someone to do something they know what they're doing, and they know why you want them to do it. When you trick people into doing something because you don't want to pay someone to do it, or you don't want to do it yourself, and your cards aren't all on the table, and youu don't give any money back to the people who helped clean it: you are exploiting them. It's not even up for debate.
It is a smart move though, and I do admire what he did, the same way I admire Petyr Baelish. Petyr's one of my favourite characters, but that doesn't mean he's not a dick.
Again, we shouldn't admire the guy in this comic for "helping the community" because he didn't set out to improve the community; he set out to use people for his personal gain. To help explain this to you, I've revised your chart.

Paying people = Giving people money to complete a task they set out to do. Helps them put food on the table and pay their bills. Helps the economy. You said early that giving people "good feelings" is worth more than money. That's not even mildly true.
getting people to do things without paying them = Smart, although it doesn't help the economy, it doesn't help feed anybody, it doesn't help pay anybody's bills. Is only morally okay if the people you're getting to do the things know why you're doing it and all your cards are on the table and they agree to it.
not spending money you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
not working had when you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
#57 - That doesn't exempt them from feeling obligated to help.  [+] (13 new replies) 04/28/2015 on Go green 0
User avatar #58 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
Unless he was too busy delegating to physically help. It's why a director doesn't handle the lights or cameras.
User avatar #59 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
Okay but he wouldn't have been delegating anything. The implication of the post is that he runs a campaign to motivate people to clean some lake or pond or whatever, and the people go and do it before he sells it. It doesn't show him "overseeing" or "delegating" the clean up itself; all it shows him doing is telling people they should want to do it.
User avatar #60 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
That's still not him doing anything bad. You're just saying he failed to do a good thing when given the opportunity, but he never did anything bad. We don't do a million good things every day.
User avatar #62 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
If he didn't help then I would say he did a bad thing, personally. Pretending to give a shit about something and speaking about it only to motivate others to do it for you so that you can make is a dick move imo unless he were to give some of the money from selling the place to the people who helped clean . Pretending to be passionate about something in order to exploit people are actually passionate about it to serve you is an asshole move, regardless of if it has a good effect or not.

Also whose not to say he's not planning on selling the figurative pond or lake to a resort or a hotel or a gas station or some shit like that and just tear up all the work the people did in the first place anyways?
User avatar #63 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
I disagree. You're literally saying that if you have an opportunity do a good thing, and you don't, that you do a bad thing. You literally have every chance to do good things every day, but you don't, so by your logic everything you do is bad. And who says he's pretending to be passionate? He wants his land to be clean, and went through the trouble of getting the people on his side - he's clearly passionate.

And you can't assume bad about him that wasn't stated in the comic - I could say "what if he's a pedophile?". It changes the rules. If he was a pedophile, and the lake was where he rapes children, I'd say he's definitely doing something wrong in having the people clean up the evidence.
User avatar #64 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm not saying not doing good things is a bad thing. I'm saying exploiting people is a bad thing. I'm saying that actively manipulating people into doing shit for you for free because you're too cheap and lazy to do it yourself, or even fucking hire someone.

You're also assuming things about him that aren't mentioned in the comic. The reason this comic exists is to explain some of the faults of capitalism, or at least to show how the rich can abuse the poor, so I don't think your assessment that 'he's always owned the land and he wants to move but he wants to clean it up before he leaves because he's just so passionate about it and so he gathers the community together to clean it up before he sells it' is a fair one.
Yes, theoretically somebody could go through the four stages of this comic and be passionate about the lake and genuinely want the lake to be in a good condition before they sell it, and if that were the case I wouldn't think they were doing a bad thing, but that's not what this comic is about. This comic is about the people who do this without giving a shit, this is about the people who exploit others for their own profit.
User avatar #66 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
And if we could agree to keep our responses short now, I'm tired and this isn't fun.
User avatar #65 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
You manipulate people all the time! Hiring someone is manipulation. Asking someone to do something is manipulation. And it's no more cheap for him to do that instead of hiring someone than it's cheap for you to eat leftovers instead of buying more food. He's just finding a different way to do something. Tom fucking Sawyer does it and he's a goddamn literary hero with his white fence.

And those people aren't being abused. They're being shown a problem and they chose to care about that problem, and they chose to fix that problem. And the guy is definitely passionate about the problem. He's passionate because he'll get more money for clean land than shitty land, and there's nothing wrong with that.
User avatar #67 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
No, hiring someone to do something is consensual for lack of a better word , with all cards on the table. It's an agreement. Same thing when you ask someone to do something for you. They are agreeing to do something for you for your benefit. When someone gets a job, they are agreeing to do something to get paid.

When you run a campaign to motivate people into doing something, regardless of if it's a good thing or not, to get them to do something for free, that's exploitation. If the people really cared about the lake, they would have cleaned it themselves. If the guy said in his initial presentation "This is a job I could be simply paying other people to do, I'm going to pretend to give a shit about this thing and make it seem really important, so you think it's important enough to fix even though it probably isn't, and then I'll sell the land and take all the profit for myself and not give you any. Being passionate about something happening is different from being passionate about the issue itself. If someone wants to get good grades to go to a good school, that doesn't mean they're passionate about doing their homework.
User avatar #68 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
He's not lying about anything. He's just not telling the people he owns the land - and I don't think that matters at all. He wants his land clean, that's the important thing, and so he's getting it done. He's not making the people believe anything they wouldn't otherwise believe. He's not saying he doesn't own the land. And even though he's not paying the people, they're still getting a more important reward than cash. Feelings. All cash does is give people a way to go get good feelings - he's just giving them the good feelings. Is it such a bad thing that it happens to benefit him as well? I don't think so.
User avatar #69 - nightmaren (04/28/2015) [-]
Because that's literally not the point of the comic. I can promise you that the author did not intend for that to be representative of him at all. As I've already stated, this comic is clearly about how the rich exploit the poor; you're not meant to assume that all he wants is to make people happy. And I would think that if he did, he would also have some kind of sense of fairness, and would at least donate something to the community, or give the organizers some money.
It's honestly not debatable that he used and exploited people for his own profit; as he could have just hired and payed people to clean the land for him, which would still have been a good thing, similar to "letting people feel good about it". It would have had the same result, and some people would have gotten money, which goes a lot farther than feeling good about yourself. He motivated the people to do it so he wouldn't have to pay anybody. End of the story. Just because good things happened because of it doesn't excuse the fact that he manipulated a group of people for his own selfish profit.
User avatar #70 - demandsgayversion (04/28/2015) [-]
So to you, it's unfair for him to try and save money? It's evil for him to not spend money he doesn't have to? Because he didn't do anything wrong, despite you wanting to try and find some way of twisting him being smart into being bad. The same as the artist, who really just didn't think it through.

Paying people = using people
getting people to do things without paying them = smart, not evil
not spending money you don't have to = smart, not evil
not working had when you don't have to = smart, not evil

And he's helping the community, because that park is a part of the environment.

If he wasn't wearing a suit, would you still label him as evil?
User avatar #95 - nightmaren (04/29/2015) [-]
I'm not trying to twist things to make it look like he did something wrong. I'm saying he did something wrong. It's pretty widely agreed upon that exploiting people = bad.
I don't know what makes you think that paying someone to do something is using them, that's pretty stupid. Paying people to do things for you is only 'using them' in a literal sense. When you pay someone to do something they know what they're doing, and they know why you want them to do it. When you trick people into doing something because you don't want to pay someone to do it, or you don't want to do it yourself, and your cards aren't all on the table, and youu don't give any money back to the people who helped clean it: you are exploiting them. It's not even up for debate.
It is a smart move though, and I do admire what he did, the same way I admire Petyr Baelish. Petyr's one of my favourite characters, but that doesn't mean he's not a dick.
Again, we shouldn't admire the guy in this comic for "helping the community" because he didn't set out to improve the community; he set out to use people for his personal gain. To help explain this to you, I've revised your chart.

Paying people = Giving people money to complete a task they set out to do. Helps them put food on the table and pay their bills. Helps the economy. You said early that giving people "good feelings" is worth more than money. That's not even mildly true.
getting people to do things without paying them = Smart, although it doesn't help the economy, it doesn't help feed anybody, it doesn't help pay anybody's bills. Is only morally okay if the people you're getting to do the things know why you're doing it and all your cards are on the table and they agree to it.
not spending money you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
not working had when you don't have to = Is a bad thing to do when you trick people into doing things for you when you could be paying people who specialize in it to do it for you
#383723 - They're based off of dinosaurs, specifically Ornithiscian dino…  [+] (1 new reply) 04/20/2015 on Hating - file complaints,... 0
User avatar #383725 - tvfreakuk (04/20/2015) [-]
I assume it's just due to the misconception that they are actually frogs - not just thinking "It couldn't possibly be this, so I'll draw it this way instead"

I mean - like I said, I never really thought about it much, but looking back I can tell that if I had thought about it I would've just automatically assumed frog.

items

Total unique items point value: 725 / Total items point value: 825
What do you think? Give us your opinion. Anonymous comments allowed.
User avatar #115 - nightmaren (07/19/2014) [-]
rokkarokkaali thecentenniallibary.webs.com/

Updated. Added Volume II of the Varen Galus biography, and edited the first one a bit. I added a new story called "Ney's Hunting Trip", which touches on the Bommeii/Ganava relationship from the perspective of a Bommeii hunter.
The Plateus Riccaro section is still outdated, and both of the pages in his section still need to be updated.
#97 - anon (04/18/2014) [-]
Hello
#99 to #98 - anon (04/18/2014) [-]
Me? I'd never.
#102 to #100 - anon (04/18/2014) [-]
Do you actually have the catfish phobia? If not, then I just look silly.
User avatar #103 to #102 - nightmaren (04/18/2014) [-]
I don't know if I'd call it a full on phobia, I don't start like hyperventilating or get a ******** of anxiety when I see them, but I really, really don't like looking at them. I pulled my comment box over the pictures on comments #101 and #102 because they look absolutely terrifying. If I saw #101 coming out of a lake in real life I'd probably jump back and yell and **** , because that looks absolutely terrifying.
User avatar #105 to #103 - revengeforfreeze (04/27/2014) [-]
It's probably the tendrils that scare you. I can agree with that the tendrils do indeed look terrifying
Anyway I had a question. Do you still hate me? 'Cause I've made a conscious effort lately not to do stuff like what happened a while ago
User avatar #106 to #105 - nightmaren (04/27/2014) [-]
Nah, I don't hold grudges unless it's about something that was done to me personally
You're alright
#104 to #103 - anon (04/18/2014) [-]
Yeah, to be honest, the #101 scares the **** even out of me...
#101 to #100 - anon (04/18/2014) [-]
Yeah, we're coming for you.
User avatar #94 - revengeforfreeze (04/12/2014) [-]
avatar gif from where? maple story?
User avatar #95 to #94 - nightmaren (04/12/2014) [-]
Nah, it's supposed to be an argonian in shrouded armour, form Oblivion. It's not from any game itself, I just found it on deviantart.
User avatar #107 to #95 - rokkarokkaali (05/10/2014) [-]
Do you know where? I like pixel art stuff and i like skyrim stuff
User avatar #108 to #107 - nightmaren (05/10/2014) [-]
I can't seem to find the exact image on deviantart anymore, but on the left hand side of deviantart's main page you can narrow down your search results by category to find pixel art, by going digital art > pixel art
User avatar #109 to #108 - rokkarokkaali (05/10/2014) [-]
I found some neat looking stuff from that.
How's your story-making thing going? I forgot what the name for it was.
User avatar #110 to #109 - nightmaren (05/10/2014) [-]
Not bad. I got my tablet working on my laptop so I've been drawing **** related to it mostly. I'm working on a map for the realistic fantasy one, and wrote a small "essay" about a group of warriors for one of the races in the world. I haven't gotten around to putting any of it online yet; I might do some of that tonight.
User avatar #111 to #110 - rokkarokkaali (05/10/2014) [-]
do you have a link to that site you had your stuff on again?
User avatar #113 to #111 - nightmaren (05/11/2014) [-]
I just updated it a bit, not much. Out of the three new pages I added, only one has any content on it. The other two I have written up in word, but they're kind of outdated so I'll need to rewrite them before I post em.
User avatar #112 to #111 - nightmaren (05/11/2014) [-]
thecentenniallibary.webs.com/
This one's just for my fairly realistic fantasy universe. I have a decent amount written for that one. I'll update it soon.
User avatar #96 to #95 - revengeforfreeze (04/12/2014) [-]
Oh, okay.
User avatar #85 - dildoes (07/15/2013) [-]
ahoy
User avatar #86 to #85 - nightmaren (07/15/2013) [-]
Hello friend
User avatar #87 to #86 - dildoes (07/15/2013) [-]
so, how's it been?
User avatar #88 to #87 - nightmaren (07/15/2013) [-]
pretty mint, how about yourself
User avatar #89 to #88 - dildoes (07/15/2013) [-]
extreme.
Have you ever watched the movie snakes on a plane?
User avatar #90 to #89 - nightmaren (07/15/2013) [-]
never
User avatar #91 to #90 - dildoes (07/15/2013) [-]
Well, the main reason to watch it is just a single scene.
So, here, have this.
www.dailymotion.com/video/x8nq67_samantha-mcleod-snakes-on-a-plane-s_shortfilms#.UeQq5VH-mqU
It's **** , by the way.
User avatar #92 to #91 - nightmaren (07/15/2013) [-]
oh ok cool
User avatar #83 - rokkarokkaali (06/13/2013) [-]
>attempt to be funny on newest uploads
>that content gets front page
>your comment gets booty ravaged with green thumbs
And now you have the urge to do it to.
User avatar #84 to #83 - nightmaren (06/13/2013) [-]
Yeah, I pull that old maneuver sometimes, I don't do it enough, or consistently for it to be effective though. I'll go give it a shot tonight.
Thanks mate.
User avatar #81 - GabeAsher (05/06/2013) [-]
Thank you :D
User avatar #82 to #81 - nightmaren (05/06/2013) [-]
No problem man, take it easy
User avatar #78 - GabeAsher (05/06/2013) [-]
Hey, I was wondering if I could get one item from you? I just need it to get my unique count to a clean 888, and it would help a lot :) (if you dont still play items of course)
I understand if you say no, just figured I would ask :P
User avatar #79 to #78 - nightmaren (05/06/2013) [-]
Sure, what item?
User avatar #80 to #79 - GabeAsher (05/06/2013) [-]
Kim jong Il painting or minotaur throne, I dont have either of those :)
#71 - scramf ONLINE (02/02/2013) [-]
Hey man, saw your comment you made on my comment bout HU. I can't see the rest of the comment since the content was deleted, but going by the fact you saw them live, I can only guess you are a fan. So how was it? Their live tracks are pretty terrible IMO, but it may be different in person.
Hey man, saw your comment you made on my comment bout HU. I can't see the rest of the comment since the content was deleted, but going by the fact you saw them live, I can only guess you are a fan. So how was it? Their live tracks are pretty terrible IMO, but it may be different in person.
User avatar #72 to #71 - nightmaren (02/02/2013) [-]
It's definitely better in person. That, and they've improved in actual singing talent since Swan Songs, when they were just **** live. Danny is unreal, and everyone else actually sounds comparable to how they do on their albums.
User avatar #73 to #72 - scramf ONLINE (02/02/2013) [-]
Wow, that is ******* awesome. What songs did they preform?
User avatar #74 to #73 - nightmaren (02/02/2013) [-]
I can't remember all of them, but they opened with Undead like always, then I think they did Dead Bite and California, and then they took off their masks, then I think they played Sell Your Soul and City. They played Tendencies at some point, they finished with Young, and then for Encore they did Everywhere I go and We Are. There were a lot more, I can't remember what they were though.
User avatar #75 to #74 - scramf ONLINE (02/02/2013) [-]
Any of their slower songs, like Coming Back Down, or The Diary?
User avatar #76 to #75 - nightmaren (02/02/2013) [-]
Nope, I don't think they even play the slow songs live. I could be wrong, though.
User avatar #68 - sleep (06/18/2012) [-]
#67 - electricsheep **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
#66 - sundip (06/18/2012) [-]
you're a ******
#42 - deathsoldier **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #43 to #43 - nightmaren (01/30/2012) [-]
Hey
#44 to #44 - deathsoldier **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #45 to #45 - nightmaren (01/30/2012) [-]
Yeah, I don't even know what he was talking about.
#46 to #46 - deathsoldier **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #47 to #47 - nightmaren (01/30/2012) [-]
He'd probably make a post about how big of a Lamar Smith you are, and since he has like infinite subscribers you'd get a ******** of flame.
#48 to #48 - deathsoldier **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #49 to #49 - nightmaren (01/30/2012) [-]
lolol, k.
#50 to #50 - deathsoldier **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #51 to #51 - nightmaren (01/30/2012) [-]
lolol.
#26 - diamondhead (01/22/2012) [-]
Because its stolen from me. Just like everything that fa­ggot posts....
youre not very smart are you? oh well....
User avatar #27 to #26 - nightmaren (01/22/2012) [-]
What?
User avatar #28 to #27 - diamondhead (01/22/2012) [-]
Your comment asking why that comic has -16....

I cant reply there because Im blocked by that fa­g
User avatar #29 to #28 - nightmaren (01/22/2012) [-]
Ah, gotcha. retoastingretoaster used to steal all my OC and then block me.

Why would you call me an idiot, how was I supposed to know that it's your OC?
User avatar #30 to #29 - diamondhead (01/22/2012) [-]
....because youre asking why it has - 16 pinkies when you have seen in on front page...
and youre warning that fa­ggot and now he will delete it.
#31 to #30 - nightmaren (01/22/2012) [-]
I asked if it was on the front page, I didn't say I saw it on the front page.
#32 to #31 - diamondhead (01/22/2012) [-]
You actually thought it was the same post???   
   
Oh lawd. what are you?  12?'   
   
........
You actually thought it was the same post???

Oh lawd. what are you? 12?'

........

#34 to #33 - diamondhead (01/22/2012) [-]
you're 12 or you have a severe lack of intelligence...

anyway its hopeless....

Lrn2internetz.
#35 to #34 - nightmaren (01/22/2012) [-]
> I see content with -14 pinkies
> I ask ifOH PEEstole it off the front page, because I don't understand why it has so many pinkies down, because it was kind of funny
> You call me an idiot because he stole it from you
> I had no way of knowing that he stole it from you
> You give me **** for asking why it has so many pinkies down if I've seen it on the front page, and then say some other **** that makes no sense to me
>I haven't seen it on the front page
> You give me **** and call me retarded for you not making any sense

<mfw
User avatar #36 to #35 - diamondhead (01/22/2012) [-]
"I haven't seen it on the front page"

comment:"Is this on the front page right now or something? I don't see why it has -14 pinkies, it was actually kind of funny IMO. "

ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME?????

Seriously, stop talking...
User avatar #70 to #36 - mapleknight (08/31/2012) [-]
>Seriously, stop talking
>on his ******* profile
what are you, 12?
User avatar #37 to #36 - nightmaren (01/22/2012) [-]
If I haven't seen it on the front page, and I ask if it's on the front page, that's not unreasonable.


If you could just chill the **** out and explain to me what the **** you're talking about, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
User avatar #38 to #37 - diamondhead (01/22/2012) [-]
Forget it....

I'll not even try
#41 to #38 - nightmaren (01/22/2012) [-]
I'm missing something here, I don't get what I did that was so stupid
User avatar #39 to #38 - nightmaren (01/22/2012) [-]
No, seriously, explain to me what I did wrong.
#24 - deathsoldier **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
#16 - deathsoldier **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #17 to #16 - nightmaren (12/12/2011) [-]
Hello
#18 to #17 - deathsoldier **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #19 to #18 - nightmaren (12/12/2011) [-]
Canadian
#20 to #19 - deathsoldier **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #21 to #20 - nightmaren (12/12/2011) [-]
I know, I saw you get butthurt on my friend's content about it.
#22 to #21 - deathsoldier **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #23 to #22 - nightmaren (12/16/2011) [-]
No worries
User avatar #3 - repostingreposter (06/25/2011) [-]
make as many accounts as you want
Ill keep stealing your OC
#6 to #3 - nightmaren (06/27/2011) [-]
Looks like you're sort of unliked by funnyjunk. Maybe you should make a new account, quit stealing people's **** , and stop being a douchebag?
User avatar #4 to #3 - nightmaren (06/25/2011) [-]
Lol, good idea, comment what you're doing on my page, that can't be proof for anything at all.
User avatar #5 to #4 - repostingreposter (06/25/2011) [-]
why you gonna screenshot it? like I give a ****
User avatar #2 - repostingreposter (06/25/2011) [-]
thanks for the oc faggot
#1 - saintjames **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
 Friends (0)