2spooky. but worth the read. Russian Sleep Experiment Russian researchers in the late kept five people awake for fifteen days using an experimental gas based st 2spooky but worth the read Russian Sleep Experiment researchers in late kept five people awake for fifteen days using an experimental gas based st
Login or register


Russian Sleep Experiment
Russian researchers in the late kept five people awake for fifteen days using an experimental gas based stimulant. They were kept in a sealed
environment to carefully monitor their oxygen intake so the gas didn' t kill them, since it was toxic in high concentrations. This was before closed circuit
cameras so they had only microphones and 5 inch thick glass porthole sized windows into the chamber to monitor them. The chamber was stocked with books,
cots to sleep on but no bedding, running water and toilet, and enough dried food to last all five tor over a month.
The test subjects were political prisoners deemed enemies of the state during World War II.
Everything was fine for the first five days; the subjects hardly complained having been promised (falsely) that
they would be freed if they submitted to the test and did not sleep for 30 days. Their conversations and activities were monitored and it was noted that they
continued to talk about increasingly traumatic incidents in their past, and the general tone of their conversations took on a darker aspect after the q day mark.
After five days they started to complain about the circumstances and events that lead them to where they were and started to demonstrate severe paranoia.
They stopped talking to each other and began alternately whispering to the microphones and one way mirrored portholes. oddly they all seemed to think they
could win the trust ofthe experimenters by turning over their comrades, the other subjects in captivity with them. At first the researchers suspected this was
an effect of the gas itself...
After nine days the first of them started screaming. He ran the length ofthe chamber repeatedly yelling at the top of his lungs for 3 hours straight, he
continued attempting to scream but was only able to produce occasional squeaks. The researchers postulated that he had physically torn his vocal cords. The
most surprising thing about this behavior is how the other captives reacted to it... or rather didn' t react to it, They continued whispering to the microphones
until the second of the captives started to scream. The 2 captives took the books apart, smeared page after page with their own feces and
pasted them calmly over the glass portholes. The screaming promptly stopped.
so did the whispering to the microphones.
After 3 more days passed. The researchers checked the microphones hourly to make sure they were working, since they thought it impossible that no sound
could be coming with 5 people inside. The oxygen consumption in the chamber indicated that all 5 must still be alive. In fact it was the amount of oxygen 5
people would consume at a very heavy level of strenuous exercise. on the morning of the 14th day the researchers did something they said they would not do
to get a reaction tram the captives, they used the intercom inside the chamber, hoping to provoke any response from the captives they were afraid were
either dead or vegetables.
They announced: "We are opening the chamber to test the microphones step away from the door and lie flat on the floor or you will be shot, Compliance will
earn one of you your immediate freedom."
To their surprise they heard a single phrase in a calm voice response: "we no longer want to be freed."
Debate broke out among the researchers and the military forces funding the research. Unable to provoke any more response using the intercom it was finally
decided to open the chamber at midnight on the fifteenth day.
The chamber was flushed of the stimulant gas and filled with fresh air and immediately voices from the microphones began to object. 3 different voices began
begging, as if pleading for the life of loved ones to turn the gas back on. The chamber was opened and soldiers sent in to retrieve the test subjects. They began
to scream louder than ever, and so did the soldiers when they saw what was inside. Four ofthe five subjects were still alive, although no one could rightly call
the state that any of them in 'life,'
The food rations past day 5 had not been so much as touched. There were chunks of meat from the dead test subject' s thighs and chest stuffed into the drain in
the center of the chamber, blocking the drain and allowing A inches of water to accumulate on the floor. Precisely how much of the water on the floor was
actually blood was never determined. All four ‘surviving test subjects also had large portions of muscle and skin torn away from their bodies. The destruction
of flesh and exposed bone on their finger tips indicated that the wounds were inflicted by hand, not with teeth as the researchers initially thought. closer
examination of the position and angles of the wounds indicated that most it not all of them were ,
The abdominal organs below the ribcage of all four test subjects had been removed, While the heart, lungs and diaphragm remained in place, the skin and
most of the muscles attached to the ribs had been ripped off, exposing the lungs through the ribcage. All the blood vessels and organs remained intact, they
had just been taken out and laid on the floor, fanning out around the eviscerated but still living bodies of the subjects, The digestive tract of all tour could be
seen to be working, digesting food. It quickly became apparent that what they were digesting was their own flesh that they had ripped oft and eaten over the
course of days.
Most of the soldiers were Russian special operatives at the facility, but still many refused to return to the chamber to remove the test subjects. They continued
to scream to be left in the chamber and alternately begged and demanded that the gas be turned back on, lest they fall asleep...
To everyone' s surprise the test subjects put up a fierce fight in the process of being removed from the chamber. one of the Russian soldiers died from having
his throat ripped out, another was gravely injured by having his testicles ripped off and an artery in his leg severed by one of the subject' s teeth. Another 5 of
the soldiers lost their lives if you count ones that committed suicide in the weeks following the incident.
In the struggle one of the four living subjects had his spleen ruptured and he bled out almost immediately. The medical researchers attempted to sedate him
but this proved impossible. He was injected with more than ten times the human dose of a morphine derivative and still fought like a cornered animal,
breaking the ribs and arm of one doctor. When heart was seen to beat for a full two minutes after he had bled out to the point there was more air in his
vascular system than blood. Even after it stopped he continued to scream and flail for another 3 minutes, struggling to attack anyone in reach and just
repeating the word "MORE" over and over, weaker and weaker, until he finally fell silent.
The surviving three test subjects were heavily restrained and moved to a medical facility, the two with intact vocal cords continuously begging for the gas
demanding to be kept awake...
The most injured of the three was taken to the only surgical operating room that the facility had. In the process of preparing the subject to have his organs
placed back within his body it was found that he was effectively immune to the sedative they had given him to prepare him for the surgery. He fought furiously
against his restraints when the anesthetic gas was brought out to put him under. He managed to tear most of the way through a 4 inch wide leather strap on
one wrist, even through the weight of a 200 pound soldier holding that wrist as well. It took only a little more anesthetic than normal to put him under, and the
instant his eyelids fluttered and closed, his heart stopped. In the autopsy of the test subject that died on the operating table it was found that his blood had
triple the normal level of oxygen. His muscles that were still attached to his skeleton were badly torn and he had broken 9 bones in his struggle to not be
subdued. Most of them were from the force his own muscles had exerted on them.
The second survivor had been the first ofthe group of five to start screaming. His vocal cords destroyed he was unable to beg or object to surgery, and he only
reacted by shaking his head violently in disapproval when the anesthetic gas was brought near him. He shook his head yes when someone suggested,
reluctantly, they try the surgery without anesthetic, and did not react for the entire 6 hour procedure of replacing his abdominal organs and attempting to
cover them with what remained of his skin. The surgeon presiding stated repeatedly that it should be medically possible for the patient to still be alive. one
terrified nurse assisting the surgery stated that she had seen the patients mouth curl into a smile several times, whenever his eyes met hers.
when the surgery ended the subject looked at the surgeon and began to wheeze loudly, attempting to talk while struggling. Assuming this must be something
of drastic importance the surgeon had a pen and pad fetched so the patient could write his message. was simple, "Keep cutting."
The other two test subjects were given the same surgery, both without anesthetic as well. Although they had to be injected with a paralytic for the duration of
the operation. The surgeon found it impossible to perform the operation while the patients laughed continuously. one paralyzed the subjects could only
follow the attending researchers with their eyes. The paralytic cleared their system in an abnormally short period of time and they were soon trying to escape
their bonds. The moment they could speak they were again asking for the stimulant gas. The researchers tried asking why they had injured themselves, why
they had ripped out their own guts and why they wanted to be given the gas again.
only one response was given: "l must remain awake."
All three subjects restraints were reinforced and they were placed back into the chamber awaiting determination as to what should be done with them. The
researchers, facing the wrath of their military '' for having failed the stated goals eitheir project considered euthanizing the surviving subjects, The
commanding officer, an instead saw potential, and wanted to see what would happen if they were put back on the gas, The researchers strongly
objected, but were overruled.
in preparation for being sealed in the chamber again the subjects were connected to an EEG monitor and had their restraints padded for long term
confinement. To everyone' s surprise all three stopped struggling the moment it was let slip that they were going back on the gas. it was obvious that at this
point all three were putting up a great struggle to stay awake. one of subjects that could speak was humming loudly and continuously; the mute subject was
straining his legs against the leather bonds with all his might, first left, then right, then left again for something to focus on. The remaining subject was holding
his head off his pillow and blinking rapidly. Having been the first to be wired for can most of the researchers were monitoring his brain waves in surprise. They
were normal most of the time but sometimes flat lined inexplicably. It looked as if he were repeatedly suffering brain death, before returning to normal. As
they focused on paper scrolling out of the brainwave monitor only one nurse saw his eyes slip shut at the same moment his head hit the pillow. His brainwave»
immediately changed to that of deep sleep, then flatlined for the last time as his heart simultaneously stopped.
The only remaining subject that could speak started screaming to be sealed in now. His brainwaves showed the same flatlines as one who had just died from
falling asleep. The commander gave the order to seal the chamber with both subjects inside, as well as 3 researchers. one of the named three immediately
drew his gun and shot the commander point blank between the eyes, then turned the gun on the mute subject and blew his brains out as well.
He pointed his gun at the remaining subject, still restrained to a bad as the remaining members of the medical and research team fled the room. "I won' t be
locked in here with these things! Nat with you!" he screamed at the man strapped to the table. "WHAT ARE YOU?" he demanded. "l must know!"
The subject smiled.
Have you forgotten so easily?" The subject asked. "We are you. We are the madness that lurks within you all, begging to be tree at every moment in your
deepest animal mind. We are what you hide from in your beds every night. We are what you sedate into silence and paralysis when you go to the nocturnal
haven where we cannot tread."
The researcher paused. Then aimed at the subject' s heart and fired. The EEG flatlined as the subject weakly choked out, "S
Views: 9685 Submitted: 08/05/2013
Hide Comments
Leave a comment Refresh Comments (12)
Anonymous comments allowed.
#6 - darthphyrexus
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(08/05/2013) [-]
So there was an ex-KGB officer there and this took place in the late 1940's?   
The KGB wasn't formed until 1954... -_-"
So there was an ex-KGB officer there and this took place in the late 1940's?

The KGB wasn't formed until 1954... -_-"
#7 to #6 - anisbanana [OP]
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(08/05/2013) [-]
Actually, the KGB may have been formed as far back as 1917. By 1954 it was involved in all aspects of life.
#8 to #7 - darthphyrexus
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(08/05/2013) [-]
What you're talking about was an organization called Cheka. Formed in December 1918. They were much more militaristic than the KGB. It was dissolved in 1922.
#9 to #8 - darthphyrexus
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(08/05/2013) [-]
I should actually say reorganized
#10 to #9 - darthphyrexus
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(08/05/2013) [-]
In other words they were just glorified rent-a-cop's running security for many sectors of the government.

While one can trace the KGB's origins back to Cheka, the amount of changes that occurred between their times of existing would make comparing the two similar to stating that the US is an excellent example of what the UK is like, because at some point it was under British control.
I know, it's a ****** example..
#14 - classlessfaggot
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(08/18/2013) [-]
three things I feel the urge to say,
1. I feel like I should try this without gas, just environmental stimulation,
2. this really gets to me, for some reason
3. I have no ******* idea which of my stats this increased, but I won't be sleeping to level up for a few days
User avatar #13 - zombiefeelings
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(08/09/2013) [-]
It was an enjoyable read (I normaly get bored with posts this long and don't finish them) but still, I call ********.
#11 - pulsedi **User deleted account**
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(08/06/2013) [-]
#5 - siathedragon **User deleted account**
+1 123456789123345869
has deleted their comment [-]
#12 - emperorx
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(08/08/2013) [-]
cool story, however, not something the russian KGB would ever slip out, EVER.
But still, awesome story, sleep and stuff
User avatar #4 - paintballgun
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(08/05/2013) [-]
No **** this i read this once and i ******* had night mares. **** this nope im out
User avatar #3 - niggastolemyname
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(08/05/2013) [-]
when not to use .jpg
What? the lightbulb didn't have a heart attack?
The part where they let them out was dumb they would've ended up shooting them