This week in science. IFLS Test tube baby: www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/36454/title/Next-Gen-Test-Tube-Baby-Born/ Artificial heart: nyti.ms/18 IFLS
Upload
Login or register

This week in science

Tags: IFLS
LLS,
Irate was born after bang
screened he genetic:
fun ? heart was
declared ready fer
human tamale.
Scientists succesfuly
trp. satrted Pin) rare ditch' assis
using gene therapy.
A decapitated planer's
entire head. its
memories
This Week In Science
Artron emmure delici; aed
thegam: tullut of an
azure blue
the
birth If trite krumpin
else in the Mosy ‘Way
...
+1215
Views: 54772 Submitted: 07/14/2013
Leave a comment Refresh Comments (180)
[ 180 comments ]
Anonymous comments allowed.
95 comments displayed.
#19 - grandtheftkoala **User deleted account**
Reply +163
(07/15/2013) [-]
this week in islam
#24 to #19 - doodogger
Reply -2
(07/15/2013) [-]
******* lol
#32 to #19 - anon
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
I'm a Muslim


And I'm okay with this.
#68 to #19 - anon
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
I'm not a Muslim, but I live in a Muslim country and my best friend is also a Muslim. The Quran states that Christians and Jews are "People of the book" and are to be treated as equally as Muslims.

Just pointing it out
#134 to #68 - anon
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
dude you are arguing with people who watch television. basically they know **** about other cultures except what they get to hear. plus this people here are acting like they are the biggest supporters of science and **** but in fact they are just praising it in front of their screens
#88 to #68 - meganinja
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
shhh, don't try to reason with them. Bad things will happen.
#123 to #19 - anon
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
**** doesn't blow itself up.
#70 to #19 - stijnverheye
Reply +4
(07/15/2013) [-]
#27 to #19 - quantumloli
Reply +9
(07/15/2013) [-]
groundbreaking bomb
lel
#41 to #19 - konradkurze
Reply +14
(07/15/2013) [-]
#60 to #41 - Fgner
Reply +22
(07/15/2013) [-]
How about we stop demeaning either side?

Palestine started this ******** - they can deal with what they get.
On the other hand, they do have it pretty bad relative to Israel.

But in the end, both countries are having innocent people die for absolutely no reason. How about we stop playing toward either side, sympathizing about whose dying more brutally or in more mass, and start trying to reach a middle ground where nobody will die.
#154 to #60 - alltimetens
Reply +2
(07/15/2013) [-]
I'm 100% pro-Palestinian. The Pali's were there first, and with the help of the UK, Pali's were kicked out of their own homeland. When they decided that they weren't going to abide by the Zionist demands, Palestinian women and children are being blown into pieces as a part of Israeli war crimes.
#166 to #154 - Fgner
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
> It was British territory after WWI.
> Palestine's started the attack.
> Both sides are participating.
> Everybody's just needs to calm down and have a good chat instead of resorting to bombs.
#132 to #60 - konradkurze
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
im sorry, britain stealing 60% of palestine and giving it to the jews is palestines' fault?

this was the brits fault for putting jews and palestinians at odds in the first place
#148 to #132 - Fgner
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
Jesus Christ - it's you again. Sorry, I didn't see your username at first, so I didn't realize there's just no hope trying to rationalize.

And, buddy, hate to break it to you - but even if what you say is true (which it is most definitely not, see PopKornKing's comment), are you honestly justifying mindless war and innocent people dying because "oh someone else stole my stuff so I might as well cause as much collateral as possible until I get my way!"
#152 to #148 - konradkurze
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
cant rationalize.....because only by bowing down and accepting americans opinion can be a sign of rationality...right

**** the lies the media tell you, the palestinians are a dominated people, they dont have a country of their own because israel has their army in it 24/7 and shoot people at random under suspicions
you cannot possibly tell me they have no reason to feel upset by that,....and since israel wont let them have any real means to fight, all they can do is blow things up and hope israel gets tired of the casualties and leaves
#158 to #152 - Fgner
Reply -2
(07/15/2013) [-]
> The opinion that stressing the relationships of halve the world, teetering the world on WWIII, and murdering countless innocent people who have nothing to do with any of this is not the rational option here? Please, sir, tell me how the Hell you can possibly rationalize this kind of behavior. Just because of a little land that was taken from a country that wasn't real by people who are probably dead by now and that has been been largely given back to try and stop the mindless fighting.

> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You ignorant twat, none of what you said is even remotely true. Israel doesn't occupy other countries, Israel aren't war-mongerers, modern armies have strict conventions they must follow - and killing a civilian (or even an enemy) is grounds for heavy investigation by a third party, Israel didn't start the murdering - Palestinians did.

> What kind of logic is that? Again, "I can't get my way, so I'll cause all the collateral possible until somebody pays attention to my screaming". You do realize that if it comes down to it and war gets declared, the middle east will be left in smolders and the biggest and deadliest war humanity has ever seen can possibly be initiated? Again, are you seriously justifying that over some stupid land. Who cares if you're "Israeli domain", they're a modern and free country and you can believe and do whatever the Hell you want as long as you don't hurt or strip the rights of others.
#165 to #158 - konradkurze
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
talking with you is painful.......   
   
there wont be a WW3 because the rothschild family already control all but 2 of the countries of the world   
they all put on a big act of not getting along but in truth theyre all together in it, and the 2 remaining countries dont have any power to begin a world war   
   
the so-called 'wars' we have now are just acts to keep the people in a state of fear that someone actually might threaten them.....because scared citizens are willing to surrender their rights in the name of 'freedom' - ahem patriot act   
   
you prove how ignorant you are by not knowing whats actually going on in palestine, its israel doing what the nazis did to poland, just in this case they have usa promoting only the 'poor little israelis point of view
talking with you is painful.......

there wont be a WW3 because the rothschild family already control all but 2 of the countries of the world
they all put on a big act of not getting along but in truth theyre all together in it, and the 2 remaining countries dont have any power to begin a world war

the so-called 'wars' we have now are just acts to keep the people in a state of fear that someone actually might threaten them.....because scared citizens are willing to surrender their rights in the name of 'freedom' - ahem patriot act

you prove how ignorant you are by not knowing whats actually going on in palestine, its israel doing what the nazis did to poland, just in this case they have usa promoting only the 'poor little israelis point of view
#169 to #165 - Fgner
Reply -2
(07/15/2013) [-]
And a conspiracy nut to boot.

I'm sorry, I'll leave you alone. I literally can't argue with someone who... just... ****.

I CAN'T ******* IGNORE IT.
> Rothschild doesn't control the world you stupid ******* twat. No evidence supports that other than them being rich. Until someone has chipped and mind controlled 51% of the world, the Illimanti ******** doesn't work.

> In reality, if someone controlled the world already, they would have caused many wars, released plagues, and generally slaughtered every stupid human being on the face of the Earth - reducing the need of resources dramatically, increasing the rate of technological growth, increasing the quality of the species in general, etc. Also, no science would go unfunded and military wouldn't be funded.

> And why the **** would the rulers of the world ******* hide? They rule the world, they're untouchable - just make it official and nobody will really give two twats because it already doesn't do anything to their daily lives to begin with. So might as well just tell them so, you know, they can actually have some form of power or control at all.

> Do you know what the Patriot Act even is? It surrenders absolutely no freedom at all. We've signed those bills for 40 years and it only matter this time because people wanted to make Obama/Busch look bad. And without it, it would be pretty much ******* impossible to fight against terrorists or spies. Almost every country in the world has that because it's ******* necessary.

> Jesus. *******. Christ. Did you just compare Israelis to Nazis. Okay - I'm just ******* out.

The USA doesn't promote ****. Nobody in the entire world gives a ****. You think their problems are on the mind of even .0001% of the American populace at least once a month? No ******* way. And that's why I say how about we stop the kicking and screaming and tell the two ******* kids to play God damn nice or before everyone gets a spanking.
#194 to #169 - konradkurze
0
has deleted their comment [-]
#196 to #169 - konradkurze
Reply -1
(07/16/2013) [-]
.....continued

america HEAVILY promotes a media bias against everyone it doesnt like

hell just a couple years back i was in new zealand and people there were convinced of americans ideal that "all arabs are terrorists"

america doesnt want people to play nice, america wants everyone at each others throats so that everyones too busy opposing each other instead of uniting as human beings and trying to bring actual peace to the world
#195 to #169 - konradkurze
Reply -1
(07/16/2013) [-]
id pity your stupidity if you didnt defend it so violently

politicians and the media have been spewing **** for decades and you just opened your head and let it flush right in there

you prove your ignorance by bleating the "ERMEGERD ILLUMINATI" crap like everyone else does when they dont want to listen,

have you even read a history book ever, there have been more wars in the last 100 years than in any other century, they HAVE released diseases, and 'conveniently' have the cures all ready to go for a price......they dont slaughter the number of stupid people, they send them off to fight these bogus wars so both reducing the resources needed to keep them alive at the same time they pillage the world for more resources.....technology is increased faster through wars, hence why usa keeps going into them....

there is no increases in quality for the species, they are just making themselves better overall and making the people only better in regards to being better labor workers to make the money for them

the secret leaders of the world hide so they can deny responsibility for whats going on andalso protect themselves from assassination attempts
once again, read a book, all the fascist leaders in history who came out in the open were the targets for people trying to kill them, the new world order leaders prefer to hide and live

the american presidents already make themselves look bad, every terrorist group has been funded by the CIA to stage attacks where they want them and justify usa taking action to make themselves look like the good guy
and if you want to say obama is 'such a nice guy' then why did he just recently sign an EXECUTIVE ORDER for the security agencies to spy on anyone anytime 'to protect national security'

yes its not all of israel doing what the nazis did, its the zionists who are the neo-nazis and the rest of israel just sits back and watches while the m9inority bring a bad name to the whole people
#140 to #132 - popkornking
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
Well seeing as Palestine was never even an actual country rather than an area between Isreal and Egypt, it's tough to see how it was stolen.
#150 to #140 - konradkurze
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
after WW1, the british got their hands on the lands of palestine and made it 'the british mandate of palestine, then after WW2, took 60% of that palestine to make israel

before that there was no israel, so its by using stolen land they created it, then after the first war of outrage between palestine and israel, israel stole about half of what was left of palestine, then after the 2nd war, palestine pretty much doesnt exist, its just territory occupied by israel

so between strike one and two of having land stolen and strike 3 being watched over all day every day by armed israelis spoiling for reasons to open fire on them, i think the paloestinians have good reason to be hostile
#157 to #150 - popkornking
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
Oh okay, I thought it was essentially unclaimed before WWII. By any means I don't really sympathize with the either side, but the Palestinians give a worse impression to me by far
#164 to #157 - Fgner
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
Please don't listen to Konrad over here. He spews this kind of ******** all the time.

> It was British land. They owned it, and it was their right to do with what they will.

> When Israel was created it included a bunch of land - Israel didn't settle it until later - when they did, the Palestine bitched about how it was their land even though the documents say otherwise - they bombed the **** out of Israel when Israel didn't care about the bitching - Israel said "**** - fine take it back. We don't want it. Just promise you won't attack us anymore!" and Palestine agreed - Palestine then started bombing the **** out of Israel because they wanted more of "their land" back.

> "Watched over all day every day" is ********. The Israelis left them alone, why the Hell do they care? The only things they did were counter-terrorism and standard martial law while things get set up. Palestinians in the area just bitched about it.

>> Palestine is at fault for starting this.
>> Israel is at fault for letting this continue
>> The rest of the world is at fault for not putting our damn foot down and bitch slapping both our kids.
#160 to #157 - konradkurze
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
well thats what the media give you,...israel/americans version that 'Palestine is bad mmmkay"

in truth the israelis are pretty much doing to palestine what hitler did to poland....occupation, enslavement, ethnic cleansing, and colonizing migrants from the homeland into the occupied zones

only difference was the nazis were trying to assimilate some poles into the greater german bloodline....while israelis are just cleansing all palestinians
#161 to #160 - popkornking
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
Hold on I knew both sides were launching missiles like there was no tomorrow but what's this ethnic cleansing business?
#172 to #161 - Fgner
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
For the love of God - He's saying that Israel has concentration camps and is slaughtering anyone who isn't Jewish, the reverse of Nazi-ism essentially. He's saying Israelis are taking Palestinian people as slaves, and then forcing the rest to move and breaking up families and eating babies - oh sorry, I got carried away.

He's a ******* loon, PopKornKing. He's an extremist anti-westernist (mostly against USA and Britain, though). I would go through his comments and show you the ******** he spouts, but (a) he blocked me and (b) he deletes the ones nobody likes. For instance that one the other day where he got -342 for talking about how Britain deserves to burn for what they did to India hundreds of years ago.
#170 to #161 - konradkurze
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
well palestine fires less missiles than the media claims and israel is firing more than they let on, but yeah

as for the cleansing, its been on a few interviews with outsiders who have visited palestine and even a few interviews with palestinians, including one who was born outside palestine but moved in, that the israelis have put the palestinian peoples in isolated fenced-off areas, not that it matters because any time israel wants land theyll just move the people to another area

they are keeping the palestinians largely without real food or clean water, no real toilets or sewer systems, and israelis randomly fire on anyone based on suspicion, hell even that migrant palestinian who went in there, she was up late to study for college, and just because her bedroom light was on past 9pm some israeli hald a mile off opened fire on her bedroom

#193 to #60 - anon
Reply 0
(07/16/2013) [-]
GOOD GOY
#79 to #60 - anon
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
Why you get thumb down? I think you say good words
#5 - blakhawk
Reply +102
(07/15/2013) [-]
This is why I like science.
#20 to #5 - redstag
Reply -5
(07/15/2013) [-]
Cept for a few thousand dead.
#87 to #5 - funnyjunkforlife
Reply -5
(07/15/2013) [-]
this just in
#173 to #87 - swagloon
Reply +2
(07/15/2013) [-]
4edgy8me
#80 to #5 - yunoacceptnumbers
Reply -4
(07/15/2013) [-]
you will post this as content or i will steal it and do it myself!
#55 to #5 - ComradeBritish
Reply -3
(07/15/2013) [-]
Here take this.
#45 to #5 - anon
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
Does this REALLY need to be ******* posted on every weekly science post?
#57 to #45 - yunablade
Reply -10
(07/15/2013) [-]
I don't know, do they plan on doing any update any week at all?
#64 to #45 - prominant
Reply -11
(07/15/2013) [-]
First time I've seen it
#47 to #5 - anon
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
They have no need to correct themselves every week.
#63 to #47 - maxismahname
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
discoveries=/=corrections
#81 to #5 - anon
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
#146 to #81 - popkornking
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
That was hilarious
#156 to #5 - alltimetens
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
Hurr durr, sience is de best ting in de wurld.


Why don't you stop being a pretentious faggot and realize that you're no better than those religious nuts you criticize every day, seeing how you contributed as much to society as them.
#177 to #5 - swagloon
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
Comparing science and religion? Really?
Comparing science and religion? Really?
#17 to #5 - happygoyim
Reply +2
(07/15/2013) [-]
*tips fedora in agreement* well said, good sir! Have my thumb!
#76 to #5 - demha
Reply +3
(07/15/2013) [-]
like science =/= know science
#51 to #5 - downtoabsolutezero **User deleted account**
+15
has deleted their comment [-]
#56 to #5 - llpanic
Reply +24
(07/15/2013) [-]
here have this
#35 to #5 - icameheretotroll ONLINE
Reply +25
(07/15/2013) [-]
Science is not the opposite of religion, you douche
#143 to #35 - popkornking
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
Shhhh... Leave him his euphoria
#14 to #5 - BoredAgain
Reply +32
(07/15/2013) [-]
Do you have a neck beard? Given that around 40% of American scientists are outright theists, I think it's VERY likely that some of these discoveries had religious scientists behind them.
#15 to #14 - thewaronbeingcool
Reply +3
(07/15/2013) [-]
I don't have a problem with a religion myself, but I don't think that's a valid point.

I mean did them being religious contribute to their scientific discoveries?
#16 to #15 - BoredAgain
Reply +8
(07/15/2013) [-]
I can't possibly say, but for many people religion defines much of the self, the character; man religious people go into medicine, for instance, it's down to the individuals. But even Dawkins concedes the fact that the scientific method emerge out of a religious tradition.
#43 to #16 - toosexyforyou
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
Dawkins also said that religion had its role in human society and now we're past that.
#142 to #43 - popkornking
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
That's ironically conservative thinking for an atheist, just because "intelligent" people believe that they can be happy without religion (which is perfectly okay) to say that religion has passed it's time with humanity is close to the concept of social darwinism that conservative capitalists like to spew. There will always be people for whom putting their trust in something other than themselves is a good thing, to say we're past that now is ridiculous.
#192 to #142 - toosexyforyou
Reply -1
(07/15/2013) [-]
By "we're past that," I/he meant that we're past the NEED for it that we once had. We're obviously not past seeing it in society.
#89 to #43 - sylvan
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
You talking about his movie? I remember in the same scene he said religion would eventually destroy mankind. Talk what people say with a grain of salt.
#141 to #15 - popkornking
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
Because normal religious people actually get alot of determination and drive out of their religious practices.
#95 to #15 - nasesse
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
A few scientific discoveries have been found from religion, more specifically Islam.
The early stages of development of the embryo were discovered from verses of the Quran
"He makes you in the wombs of your mothers in stages, one after another, in three veils of darkness."
This is a translation from Arabic obviously, but before this verse was revealed we did not know the foetus developed in the womb.
in three veils of darkness."
may refer to: (l) the anterior abdominal wall; (2) the uterine wall; and (3) the amniochorionic membrane.

"Then We made the drop into a leech-like structure."
The word "alaqah" directly translates to leach or bloodsucker which is an appropriate description of the human embryo from days 7-24 when it clings to the uterus.

Also a lot of mathematics originated from Islam and the Arabs in particular, while Europe was still in the Dark ages.

Not sure about other religions myself but Islam has given contributed a lot for modern science to be where it is now, and it has done more than it is given credit for.

If you want links:
You need to login to view this link
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7810846.stm
www.storyofmathematics.com/islamic.html
#11 to #5 - usernameerror
Reply +48
(07/15/2013) [-]
Guess you missed the memo.
#2 - outlastgaming
Reply +67
(07/14/2013) [-]
"Oh wow they saw the color of another planet." NO, this is really serious. Up until now exoplanets (earth-like planets) have only been visible to us through looking for abnormalities in starlight to see when one passes in front of a star. This is inefficient is getting a grasp of how many are out there, and what they are primarily composed of. Now that we can view them more independently we can start to mare accurately gauge the chances that one of them will contain life (or even be able to support life). This means that the discovery of a planet outside of our solar system that shows signs of life is becoming a great possibility in the near future.
#183 to #2 - anon
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
Actually, what they did is compare the light waves we detect when the planet passes in front of the star as opposed to the star on its own, and calculate the range in the electromagnetic spectrum of the color of the planet.
#34 to #2 - harleycurnow
Reply +7
(07/15/2013) [-]
Exoplanets aren't earth-like planets, they are planets outside of the solar system.
#53 to #34 - outlastgaming
Reply +3
(07/15/2013) [-]
Sorry, I was mistaken. My example is false but the breakthrough still has pertinence to my statement. I apologize.
#7 - jokeface
Reply +2
(07/15/2013) [-]
When I was 13 years old, we decapitated planarians in Biology class and watched their heads grow back. I'm 22 now, which makes that piece of information at least 9 years old, if not older. Why is it being featured "this week"?
#9 to #7 - ftsfts
Reply +53
(07/15/2013) [-]
Maybe they didn't have knowledge that its memories were also retained back when you did this?
#10 to #9 - jokeface
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
Possibly.
#26 to #10 - anon
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
likely
#136 to #9 - anon
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
I was not aware that we knew that planarians are capable of storing memories.
#1 - ubercookieboy ONLINE
Reply +36
(07/14/2013) [-]
MFW OP cites his sources
#58 - qwerasdfghjklzxc ONLINE
Reply +28
(07/15/2013) [-]
> Regrow head and memories
#187 to #58 - wtfduud
0
has deleted their comment [-]
#188 to #58 - wtfduud
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
That was exactly what came to my head too.
#145 to #58 - fbiagent
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
**** yeah, tony shalhoub
#44 - SuperJesus
Reply +12
(07/15/2013) [-]
This little ****** is genius.
#125 to #44 - tabarzins
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
yea it must have done lots of research to get to the point it is now
#48 to #44 - malkotay
Reply +8
(07/15/2013) [-]
Imagine you are this little ****** and you can remember how you got your head cut off
#86 to #48 - herosoldier
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
#77 - mynameiskeanu
Reply +9
(07/15/2013) [-]
I read on CNN that the Azure Blue planet rains glass. Just imagine what its like there
#82 to #77 - atzgee ONLINE
Reply +2
(07/15/2013) [-]
and on top of that sideways over 2000m/s

could be pretty crazy to be there
#96 to #77 - biggrand
Reply +4
(07/15/2013) [-]
could you image the hard ass skin of the animals that might evolve to that **** though?
#153 to #96 - cyanskater
Reply +2
(07/15/2013) [-]
Or perhaps even a semi-liquid body! Like gelatinous. With organs that re-grow such as with annelids.    
******* science-fiction is the best lol
Or perhaps even a semi-liquid body! Like gelatinous. With organs that re-grow such as with annelids.
******* science-fiction is the best lol
#155 to #153 - biggrand
Reply +2
(07/15/2013) [-]
gas people would be cool too as well
#174 to #77 - swagloon
Reply +4
(07/15/2013) [-]
painful
#65 - EdwardNigma
Reply +9
(07/15/2013) [-]
Every time theres something about artifical body parts or bionic ****, I get slightly excited.

One step closer to being a cyborg.
#66 to #65 - Zeigh
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
The singularity cometh brother.
#144 to #65 - bookyle
Reply +1
(07/15/2013) [-]
how about one step close to building the girl of your dreams
#147 to #144 - EdwardNigma
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
I'd rather be a cyborg.
#75 to #65 - beffen
Reply +7
(07/15/2013) [-]
And also one step closer to Repo Men
#6 - trisketthebiskit
Reply +9
(07/15/2013) [-]
the first fact reminds me of the movie GATACA
#8 to #6 - masdercheef
Reply +2
(07/15/2013) [-]
my god, I remember watching that in Biology class. Good example of good intentions gone wrong.
#31 to #8 - kasperscar
Reply 0
(07/15/2013) [-]
Yep, I remember in Biology, The Essay on the movie was pretty good to write also, Because it would question morality of messing with a natural process.
It was a al-right movie i guess.