anime. . anrt aliimg tans cretin‘ ? I." the out of me. > Be 2 years ago > Talking with friend in high school at lunch time > "Anime is cool, but the fans are all creepfests" he says > "C'm Anime fans creepy
x
Click to expand

Comments(399):

[ 399 comments ]
What do you think? Give us your opinion. Anonymous comments allowed.
#6 - shishiko **User deleted account** (04/01/2013) [-]
Weeaboo's. That part of the anime community everyone hates.
User avatar #66 to #6 - redstonealchemist (04/01/2013) [-]
weeaboo is like an otaku in the same way a clopper is like a brony
#109 to #66 - anon (04/01/2013) [-]
no.
#63 - Yojimbo (04/01/2013) [-]
> Be 2 years ago
> Talking with friend in high school at lunch time
> "Anime is cool, but the fans are all creepfests" he says
> "C'mon, they can't all be weirdos!" I say
> "Oh yeah? Look at the anime club eating lunch against those lockers"
> See some small girl wearing fishnet and bear claws, animal ears and buttons all over. Has shaved her eyebrows to resemble an anime character
> Is being cuddled by large emo looking boy with eyeshadow and a fedora that makes his neckbeard really stand out. They are excitedly discussing Full Metal Alchemist
> Next member is possible Colombian transexual, in fact half the members of the anime club also moonlight in the LGTB Club
> Several of them have on tails
> MFW upon seeing this motley collection of misfits
> It should be noted that over the course of my high school career, I met several rather normal closeted anime fans (Fans of anime who were to embarrassed to be fans for fear that they would be lumped in with the club), who were very cool
User avatar #263 to #63 - iamgriffman (04/01/2013) [-]
ive seen afew anime's and know some people that watch them and they are as normal as me. but i do understand its probably a bigger thing in america to have those groups as in england there really arent that many in my school that when looked at can determine the group
#326 to #63 - lieutenantderp (04/01/2013) [-]
It's actually called Fullmetal Alchemists. Two words.
It's actually called Fullmetal Alchemists. Two words.
#353 to #63 - gavinchase (04/01/2013) [-]
I rather be friends with them than eat lunch alone...
#153 to #63 - tenmillionbears (04/01/2013) [-]
"motley collection of misfits"
#189 to #63 - ctrlfreak (04/01/2013) [-]
I read that as "be 2 years old"
I read that as "be 2 years old"
#190 to #63 - darkdragonswrath (04/01/2013) [-]
Full Metal Alchemist?
User avatar #214 to #190 - Yojimbo (04/01/2013) [-]
Yes, from my very limited knowledge of it, it is a pretty acclaimed/popular anime series
#5 - nunubot (03/31/2013) [-]
*******		 weeboos.
******* weeboos.
#267 to #5 - bulbakip (04/01/2013) [-]
My favorite weeaboo
My favorite weeaboo
User avatar #384 to #267 - darrensankari (04/01/2013) [-]
Has anyone been able to find nudes of here that aren't fake shops, yet?
User avatar #338 to #267 - oishiine (04/01/2013) [-]
I thought she lived in Japan
User avatar #342 to #338 - bulbakip (04/01/2013) [-]
donno'
#118 - GeeTeeEffOhh (04/01/2013) [-]
This is literally what I'm like at every anime expo.
#119 to #118 - vangoz (04/01/2013) [-]
Not all cosplay is awful
#120 to #119 - darthjangopwnz (04/01/2013) [-]
Favorite Joker.
#121 to #120 - vangoz (04/01/2013) [-]
Let's face it every Joker is good in their own way.
User avatar #122 to #121 - darthjangopwnz (04/01/2013) [-]
Touche. I do want to see a Niel Patrick Harris Riddler though...
User avatar #124 to #122 - vangoz (04/01/2013) [-]
I'm begging for red thumbs for saying this, but I don't see what the big deal about NPH is. Then again anything is better then Jim Carry, he wasn't serious enough to play Edward Nigma.
User avatar #126 to #124 - darthjangopwnz (04/01/2013) [-]
I kind-of wonder what actor's would play the best characters though... I think Keanu Reeves would play a great Hush.
#127 to #126 - vangoz (04/01/2013) [-]
Ben Stein as Mr.Freeze
Ben Stein as Mr.Freeze
User avatar #135 to #127 - darthjangopwnz (04/01/2013) [-]
Bruce Willis Killer Croc
#136 to #135 - vangoz (04/01/2013) [-]
Helen Bonham Carter as Harley Quin... not very original but a good choice
User avatar #139 to #136 - darthjangopwnz (04/01/2013) [-]
Sean Connery would be a nice Hugo Strange...
User avatar #142 to #139 - vangoz (04/01/2013) [-]
Hugo Weaving would Also make an epic Hugo Strange
User avatar #145 to #142 - darthjangopwnz (04/01/2013) [-]
Yeah, but then he would have to die. It's kind of a rule with his characters.
User avatar #146 to #145 - vangoz (04/01/2013) [-]
He doesn't die in all of the movies he is in just a lot of them hahaha.
User avatar #140 to #139 - vangoz (04/01/2013) [-]
Mike Myers as the Calender Man
User avatar #141 to #140 - darthjangopwnz (04/01/2013) [-]
Excellent!
User avatar #143 to #141 - vangoz (04/01/2013) [-]
Edward Norton as Victor Zsasz and Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin
User avatar #144 to #143 - darthjangopwnz (04/01/2013) [-]
Why don't the exec's take not of this kind of stuff!
User avatar #147 to #144 - vangoz (04/01/2013) [-]
They'd rather cast unknowns or hot at that time actors to play the rolls to pull in more revenue at the box office.
This will also be my last villain Andy Serkis (Golum) as Mad Hatter
User avatar #148 to #147 - darthjangopwnz (04/01/2013) [-]
Here's my last. Christopher Lloyd as The Ventriloquist.
#235 - geeta (04/01/2013) [-]
>Go to anime con   
>people with signs "WILL DO YAOI FOR F00D" "FREE HUGS" "WILL PAY MONEYZ FOR YAOI"   
>What the 			****		 			******		   
>avoid people like that   
>Hot girl with free hugs sign.   
>Well,what's wrong with a little hug?   
>Go up to her and ask if I can hug her   
>She says Sure with a cute voice   
>Hugs   
>feel a lump in her pants   
>mfw
>Go to anime con
>people with signs "WILL DO YAOI FOR F00D" "FREE HUGS" "WILL PAY MONEYZ FOR YAOI"
>What the **** ******
>avoid people like that
>Hot girl with free hugs sign.
>Well,what's wrong with a little hug?
>Go up to her and ask if I can hug her
>She says Sure with a cute voice
>Hugs
>feel a lump in her pants
>mfw
#363 to #235 - anon (04/01/2013) [-]
It seems like every gif of an attractive asian woman is now of girls' generation. I'm ok with this.
#403 to #363 - geeta (04/02/2013) [-]
It probably because there is almost always a SNSD thread on the /wsg/ on 4chan.
It probably because there is almost always a SNSD thread on the /wsg/ on 4chan.
User avatar #365 to #235 - darknesincontrol (04/01/2013) [-]
sounds like a keeper to me
0
#244 to #235 - shrinemaiden **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #251 to #235 - Nihatclodra (04/01/2013) [-]
What's wrong with a trap or 20?
#243 to #235 - anon (04/01/2013) [-]
You should've pulled it.
#41 - haseotakaeda ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
I like watching anime,   
but the weaboo's straight up piss me off.   
Example   
I'm watching a youtube video and the commentator tells a story   
some 			******		 says in the comments   
"YOU SHOULD TOTALLY MAKE AN ANIME OUT OF THIS XD LE LOL"   
I ask him why it has to be an anime   
"because anime is cooler"   
   
it...   
i just.   
			****		,   
   
mfw
I like watching anime,
but the weaboo's straight up piss me off.
Example
I'm watching a youtube video and the commentator tells a story
some ****** says in the comments
"YOU SHOULD TOTALLY MAKE AN ANIME OUT OF THIS XD LE LOL"
I ask him why it has to be an anime
"because anime is cooler"

it...
i just.
**** ,

mfw
User avatar #286 to #41 - admiralen (04/01/2013) [-]
thats not a weeaboo, thats a faggot
User avatar #295 to #286 - haseotakaeda ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
A square is a rectangle,
a weeaboo is a faggot!

themoreyouknow.jpg
User avatar #318 to #295 - admiralen (04/01/2013) [-]
i think that comment made me dumber, i know less now, thank you for that
User avatar #337 to #318 - haseotakaeda ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
:(
I mean that though a square is a rectangle, a rectangle is certainly not a square
likewise a weeaboo is a faggot but not all faggots are weeaboos
User avatar #399 to #337 - admiralen (04/02/2013) [-]
i meant it the other way around though, he met a faggot, not all weeaboos are faggots
User avatar #402 to #399 - haseotakaeda ONLINE (04/02/2013) [-]
interesting
perhaps
#113 to #41 - anon (04/01/2013) [-]
YOU SHOULD TOTALLY MAKE AN ANIME OUT OF THIS XD LE LOL
#115 - NinjaHermit (04/01/2013) [-]
Not to split hairs here, but if one "likes watching anime", does that not make them an anime fan?

Heh, in any case, anime has it's good and bad fans, just like any other fandom.
#232 to #115 - anon (04/01/2013) [-]
Weaboo's aren't rapist. They don't touch inappropriately.
0
#368 to #115 - swiftykidd **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
#229 to #115 - samxdaxman (04/01/2013) [-]
Whst the hell is glomping?
User avatar #245 to #229 - NinjaHermit (04/01/2013) [-]
It's like a combination between a tackle and a hug.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheGlomp
#212 to #115 - awesomanium (04/01/2013) [-]
So...
You have to like Japanese culture and language to be a good anime fan?
User avatar #257 to #212 - NinjaHermit (04/01/2013) [-]
Of course you don't. But you gotta admit, a lot of anime fans in the West tend to have at least a passing interest in the culture.
#11 - anon (04/01/2013) [-]
still feel the same way about ponys
#116 to #11 - killo ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
bronies*
#213 to #116 - anon (04/01/2013) [-]
you like watching bronies, but the fans of bronies creep you out?
#299 - hauntzor (04/01/2013) [-]
I can't enjoy anime because people flip their **** on me when I tell them I prefer to watch dubs.

What if some of us don't like to ******* read subtitles all the time? I like being able to multitask and do other **** while I watch TV and I hate feeling obligated to keep my eyes on the screen in case I miss some important plot development because I don't understand the language.

And all to avoid what? Bad voice acting? Misconstrued plots/dialogue? Who the **** cares? Just let me enjoy my ******* anime the way I like viewing it. Purist assholes.

pic unrelated
User avatar #309 to #299 - horriblefishboy (04/01/2013) [-]
I don't give a **** either way. I know what you mean by multitasking or missing plot, I don't judge you broseph. Do your thing.
#332 to #299 - dachief (04/01/2013) [-]
Wo kann ich beschaffen dieses Spiel?
User avatar #340 to #332 - ljxjlos ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
" Woher kriege ich dieses Spiel? / Wo kann ich dieses Spiel bekommen?" would be better. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help.
User avatar #343 to #299 - ljxjlos ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
Yeah, it can get kinda annoying. I prefer dubs, too. Helps perfectly with increasing my english skills.
User avatar #383 to #299 - angelmatvey (04/01/2013) [-]
I like dubs and subs both. I usually pick subs just because they're often more readily available than dubs and may have more episodes, but I also like dubs because I'm better at picking out voice actors.
#311 - moustachefingers (04/01/2013) [-]
MFW I both lift, shower, have a social life, and watch anime.
User avatar #393 to #311 - eaglejizz (04/01/2013) [-]
Showers? Ain't nobody got time fo dat
#347 to #311 - lolsrsslybro (04/01/2013) [-]
i really like how you added in "shower". +1 for that.
User avatar #315 to #311 - ctrlfreak (04/01/2013) [-]
Implying normal people shower
#258 - notandytags (04/01/2013) [-]
There's this kid at my school. He's fat, short, parades around his "Soul by Ludacris" headphones, and is a huge macfag. I also believe he's a furry. I once saw that he had a pony background on his phone, and I thought "Oh neat, there are other people who watch MLP in my school". The more I saw of him, the more out of control it got. He parades around the fact that he's a brony, not only by wearing pony merchandise, but by showing it countless times on Facebook. One time my friend walked by him at lunch and saw him drawing a picture of his OC pony (who also wears headphones too, what a surprise) making out with Twilight Sparkle. One time we found his notebook in a classroom and it had countless drawings similar to said photo.

There are also these ugly, small twin girls. I'm pretty sure both of them watch the show. One's a lesbian with this girl who I actually thought was a guy for a couple of years. One wears a derpy sweatshirt and other pony crap from Hot Topic. One came in wearing a rarity hat for ****** sake, and that's just when I gave up.

MFW all of this
User avatar #289 to #258 - AnimalChupicabra ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
Do we go to the same school?
User avatar #335 to #289 - poniesareghey (04/01/2013) [-]
Well
If you're being realistic
New York?
User avatar #290 to #289 - notandytags (04/01/2013) [-]
probably
#209 - wowqueen (04/01/2013) [-]
I was just wondering, in my Japanese class we are learning to speak Japanese and about Japanese culture, we learned that "Desu" means "Well", as in " Genki Desu Ka" or "How are you" , so why do anime fans use the term " Desu" after a sentence, I just started the class about 2 weeks ago and I'm not very good at this kind of stuff. (I'm a big anime fan to but not a weeaboo)
0
#217 to #209 - kaoknight **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
#231 to #217 - wowqueen (04/01/2013) [-]
Ya, I like most anime from Shonen like Soul Eater, Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, Bakuman, Full Metal Alchemist, but I like other anime like Ouran Host Club and Fruits basket. I also read the manga, but only the ones I'm wicked into because those books add up and I can't buy everything, I know Otaku is an insult because in Full Metal Alchemist Edward called Winry an "Automail Otaku," but I still call me and my friends Otaku as a joke, I get a little upset at my weeaboo friend Harper because she is like the pure definition of weeaboo. My friend Michele and I are currently making a manga of our own, I'm the writer ( because I'm a really horrible artist) and she's the drawer ( her drawings are better than most professional manga artists. www.funnyjunk.com/channel/animemanga/You+know+who+you+are/aLunGnY/211#211
+2
#237 to #231 - kaoknight **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #247 to #237 - wowqueen (04/01/2013) [-]
If the story I'm currently writing gets denied I'm planning another, one a bit more original, it's going to be about a boy named Takeshi ( I really like that name) and his sister and they live in the time of WW3, they live in Osaka Japan, they have to leave Japan because of the bombing that's about to happen ( it will not be for kids), the bombing is being caused by what I call " The Faceless Government" because whenever I think of the government I can't think of a face, just a very well dressed man. They have to leave everything behind, they go to NY because it's one of the places that is not being bombed, so far most of Europe, the major countries in Asia, South America is almost gone, and the survivors live in bomb shelters. When Takeshi and his sister are leaving, his sister gets kidnapped ( it's a theme in my storys) and he is forced to leave her, he goes to NY and meats a girl named Helena, she wants to help him get his sister, she is the leader of a rebel group made up of teens and children. Everyone must be taken to the battle field when they reach the age of 18, and must fight. Helena and Takeshi leave to go to Egypt where they think his sister is being held, there they meet a small rebel group that want to escape Egypt because of the harsh laws and horrible conditions. The leader is named Sid, he is an Italian Artist who was studying in Alexandria, they don't find his sister, but he helps the rebels escape. While they are escaping they get to know Sid and his life, He tells them to go meet a wise old man named Adnan Khalifa who is a writer, he was famous before the war, he helped many Japs escape to Guinea. Helena, Takeshi, Sid, and Adnan go to Guinea and meet a small army called the " Freedom Phantoms" and they all go to America and try to reason with the government, but they find something odd when they get there.
User avatar #270 to #247 - Nihatclodra (04/01/2013) [-]
Sounds like a common rebellion story. It needs something there, something to make it more your story, rather than your take on another story.
User avatar #273 to #270 - wowqueen (04/01/2013) [-]
I was planning on later in the series he see's his sister killed right in front of him and he goes insane, the leader of the faceless government kells her, he wants him to be like him, he says he has potentiol and is very clever, he says he can rule the world, but the insanity starts off slow, like in Death Note, he starts off grieving and sad, but slowly he has outbursts and starts doing everything in his power to get revenge, he first wants the man to not only feel pain, he wants it to hurt and him to suffer, he first kills the mans family and then when he confronts the man the man tells him that he has become just like him, evil and crazy, he denies it, he would never do something evil, he kills the man, he is covered in blood and in a crazy rampage, in his anger he hurts Helana, he realises, yes, he is evil. He has seen the horror of the world and wants the world to pay for what it has done to him and his sister. He will become the god of the new world, he will lead the world out of the darkness and into the light.
User avatar #278 to #273 - Nihatclodra (04/01/2013) [-]
Unfortunately, still sounds like a common rebellion story...
User avatar #280 to #278 - wowqueen (04/01/2013) [-]
Okay, sorry, I'm not very good at original stories, what if he accidentally kills Helena in his rampage, and he takes in his true nature, an evil nature. He decides to be evil and do as the man said and take his place, he will become an evil ruler, a god . But I would love suggestions.
User avatar #404 to #280 - Nihatclodra (04/02/2013) [-]
You focusing too much on the main character. You need to put more depth into all of your characters. Not to mention all the suggestions you've made so far have been done countless times before. What you need is something unique the the world your story takes place in. Something that makes what happens in the story take on different meaning. I would give you direct suggestions, but that would just be you running with my idea: and that would not help in the long-run. As an author: you need to find your own style, create your own world, and define what needs defining. To be a great author: you must be more insane than the craziest of your characters, more evil than the darkest of your characters, more justice-driven than the purest of your characters, more bad-ass than the the most godly of your characters. You are not writing a story: you are a god recording the events that take place in the world you created.

TL;DL Find your own style as an author, create a world unique to you: and base your story upon that world.
User avatar #228 to #217 - postie (04/01/2013) [-]
Yeah, people in the west seem to think calling themselves Otaku is a good thing, whereas in Japan it's an insult
User avatar #246 to #209 - Nihatclodra (04/01/2013) [-]
I'm taken 3 semesters of Japanese, and never heard anything about Desu having an actual meaning. It's more of a word to put at the end of a sentence to make it a statement: or combined with a particle to determine what type of sentence it is. For example: "Desu ka" being a question, "Desu ne" being equivelent to putting ", huh?" or ", eh?" at the end of a sentence, etc.

The reason why Weeaboos use "desu" so much is due to it being VERY commonly spoken in most Japanese sentences.
User avatar #252 to #246 - wowqueen (04/01/2013) [-]
Oh, thanks, I'm still not very good at Japanese yet. I don't know much about it. I'm trying to learn all I can so I can move to Japan with my friend and we will write manga, it's a dream of ours.
#276 to #252 - ainise (04/01/2013) [-]
Oh don't let him scare you away. Kanji isn't that hard to learn if you learn radicals, meanings, and understand the spoken language. :p

I HIGHLY suggest avoid learning Kanji all together until you have at least a firm enough understanding to watch T-Young Adult animes without subtitles. Once you reach that point, THEN focus on the writing. No one learned to write before talking. ;)
#265 to #252 - Nihatclodra (04/01/2013) [-]
I wish you good luck. Japanese is a bitch of a language to learn (especially the written language... 			****		 Kanji... and written language would be essential for a mangaka), and Japan itself is a fair bit different to English countries. If your dream does come true, and you get your manga serialized: I would like to read it.
I wish you good luck. Japanese is a bitch of a language to learn (especially the written language... **** Kanji... and written language would be essential for a mangaka), and Japan itself is a fair bit different to English countries. If your dream does come true, and you get your manga serialized: I would like to read it.
#323 to #209 - mirrorsmirrors (04/01/2013) [-]
In response to your picture:

I still feel like if you're calling yourself "Otaku" you're far enough into anime-fagdom that you're probably still overweight, unbathed, and own at least 3 articles of clothing from Hot Topic.

I don't think there's a way to spot a functioning human being who also likes anime. You'll probably find out in a conversation like this: "Hey, what did you do today?" "Oh, I watched some anime."

Also, grammar*
#274 to #209 - ainise (04/01/2013) [-]
To explain Desu, i think it's easier to explain other Copula's.

Da means something is "being". pen da means the pen exists. It'd be translated as the sentence fragment "is a pen". This could mean I am a pen as well. Otoko da is literally "boy exists", but would be translated as "(I) am (a) boy", parenthesis marking assumptions.

Ja nai is the opposite of Da, meaning something is not, or more accurately isn't being. pen ja nai is (that/ I / it) is not pen. Otoko ja nail, "(I) am not (a) boy".

Desu, or Da (da is the less formal versoin of desu, which is the less formal version of DEgozaimaSU capitals to point out where desu came from) are very confusing words. They can be verbs, or simply meaningless words. Desu can be placed on the end of almost any sentence to make it more polite. "Otoko ja nai, desu" is still correct and the meaning of teh sentence is not changed in any way.

However, there are conjunctions like other verbs, which can be used to change the meaning of the sentence. Pen ******* ( ******* is past tense of desu) means "was pen", so in this sense desu would have been translated as desu. Pen ja nakkata ******* is the past negative tense. This would be "pen wasn't", or more commonly translated as "That pen wasn't". If you wanted to make it more polite, you could use arimasen, making it "pen ja arimasen ******* ", still meaning "pen wasn't".

Desu is a very confusing word, and between that and verb conjugation, probably the hardest thing to teach when it comes to Japanese.
User avatar #279 to #274 - wowqueen (04/01/2013) [-]
Are there any kind of video classes to help me study? I'm kind of hopeless at this, my friend is already fluent in Vietnamese and will probably have an easy time at learning another language.
#282 to #279 - ainise (04/01/2013) [-]
If you want to be more worldly in general, Chinese is actually a very VERY good place to start. It's one of the top 3 spoken languages in the world anyways, so it's not like it'd go to waste. It'd teach you Kanji, and more importantly how to recognize new kanji - something many japanese teaching methods put off for YEARS.
#281 to #279 - ainise (04/01/2013) [-]
I learned most of the language through books(basic school books), anime(watching the same episodes 5-10 times each until I could understand them without subtitles), music(translating myself), and researching anything I didn't know. I started on books, but almost immediately found their teaching methods to be awful. If you try to learn kanji, YOU WILL be in over your head, I can almost guarantee it. It's why so many people fail at trying to learn Japanese, because 90% of teaching methods toss you into kanji by day 3 or 4.

I can't really help you directly on where to start. =/ Sorry. Best of luck to you!
#216 to #193 - aerius (04/01/2013) [-]
Comment Picture
User avatar #330 - AnimalChupicabra ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
The thing about anime fans is that they are really divided. There are Otaku, Weeaboos and casuals.
Casuals are people who watch it on occasion and don't really go deep into anime or other forms of media like Manga and light novels.
Otaku are people who are avid anime fans and also enjoy reading light novels and manga. They enjoy talking about anime/manga and usually are very informal and are intellectual on the subject. They aren't completely obsessive and annoying, and are usually more open about their tastes and opinions on shows.
Weeaboos are the scum of the anime community as a whole. They give otakus and casuals a bad rep because of the way they conduct themselves. Otaku will keep their hobby to themselves unless the conversation is about said topic or they are talking to people who are fellow otaku. Weeaboo blatantly attempt to show the fact that they watch anime. While some people ( including myself) may read manga in school, these people buy shirts and objects that they can flaunt around. They constantly spout their knowledge of anime and the japanese culture as a whole based on what they see in anime. They use jagged japanese words like "kawaii" and "baka" because they think it makes them sound clever. Weeaboos are truly the worst kind of anime fan, and who you should be afraid of.
#391 to #330 - drainbramage ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
I would come under the "otaku" category, but I hate that as a label, since to me, it automatically becomes a part of the "weeaboo" label, since "otaku" is a Japanese term, at least to my knowledge, Weeaboos use broken Japanese, you label yourself in Japanese...You can see where I'm going with this.   
   
   
So are you a hypocrite or am I horribly misinformed?
I would come under the "otaku" category, but I hate that as a label, since to me, it automatically becomes a part of the "weeaboo" label, since "otaku" is a Japanese term, at least to my knowledge, Weeaboos use broken Japanese, you label yourself in Japanese...You can see where I'm going with this.


So are you a hypocrite or am I horribly misinformed?
User avatar #397 to #391 - AnimalChupicabra ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
Not really. While I understand your point, calling myself an otaku and blatantly overusing broken Japanese are two different things. I only use the word otaku when it is actually relevant, like in the conversation we are having now. However, weeaboos use the words "kawaii" and "sugoi" as if they were regular words for English conversation, and use them in sentences regardless if the sentence has anything to do with things like anime/manga. Otakus use the word to categorize themselves while weeaboos use words to try and make themselves seem knowledgeable about the Japanese language when they really are just annoying.
#398 to #397 - drainbramage ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
You. I like you. I won't call myself an otaku because of my earlier point, but some I now understand why people call them selves otaku, if asked, I won't deny it, but I won't flat out say I am.    
   
This is the first time in a while that I've seen someone talking about fandom labels with at least a slither of intelligence and decency. Good job.
You. I like you. I won't call myself an otaku because of my earlier point, but some I now understand why people call them selves otaku, if asked, I won't deny it, but I won't flat out say I am.

This is the first time in a while that I've seen someone talking about fandom labels with at least a slither of intelligence and decency. Good job.
User avatar #336 to #330 - thedarkestrogue (04/01/2013) [-]
according to your explanation I am an otaku. I don't know how I feel about this.
I'm just thankful I'm not a weeaboo. *shudders*
User avatar #344 to #336 - AnimalChupicabra ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
Being an otaku is not a bad thing. It is perceived as "wrong" in Japanese culture because they base alot of things around being an otaku. While my definition of otaku is correct, the Japanese will call people otaku despite them not being included. For example, some criminals are considered otaku despite the fact that they may not actually be otaku. Also, otakus in japan are thought of as people who sit inside and play games and watch anime. So in some cases in Japan, shut-ins=otaku. However, nowadays, the term is becoming much less negative.
User avatar #351 to #344 - thedarkestrogue (04/01/2013) [-]
I always thought the most direct translation of otaku was "huge fan" meaning otakus could be fans of literally anything such as sports or movies, not just anime or video games.
#349 to #344 - lolsrsslybro (04/01/2013) [-]
are you sure about your definition of otaku? i thought they were much worse than that.
User avatar #360 to #349 - AnimalChupicabra ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
No, my definition is correct. The term otaku means someone who is very intrigued in anime and manga, and does not necessarily mean that someone is a shut in or in some understandings a pervert. Otakus simply have hobbies that include anime and manga. Some people in Japan however use the word Otaku to describe socially awkward people and people who are considered, how we describe it, "nerds". The term otaku really has no negative meaning in the West, but in Japan it can be considered an insult. But like I said, the term is slowly becoming more positive over in Japan.
User avatar #376 to #360 - angelmatvey (04/01/2013) [-]
An otaku doesn't have to be interested in just anime/manga. It can be an interest in anything (like a gun otaku, for example). But otherwise I agree, that's what I'd think of as an otaku as well.
#305 - horriblefishboy (04/01/2013) [-]
I love watching anime, so I thought it would be cool to go work security at a small anime convention near my home in Florida with some friends. The horrors I witnessed are only barely repressed by some of the coolest people I've ever met, and free stuff.
I love watching anime, so I thought it would be cool to go work security at a small anime convention near my home in Florida with some friends. The horrors I witnessed are only barely repressed by some of the coolest people I've ever met, and free stuff.
#313 to #305 - cdula (04/01/2013) [-]
Yeah, those anime fans are a bunch of ******* freaks.
User avatar #333 to #313 - carneymaster (04/01/2013) [-]
Anime otakus are ******* freaks. There are fans of anime and then there are otakus. Otakus foam at the mouth if you insult their anime. Fans of anime go meh, lets go make fun of otakus.
User avatar #380 to #333 - angelmatvey (04/01/2013) [-]
Otakus frown and shrug it off because it's actually no big deal. It's the weaboos that foam at the mouth and get all upset when you insult them.
#392 to #380 - thebigcountry (04/01/2013) [-]
OTAKU is the derogatory term both here and in Japan, not Weaboo. Weaboo is a word made up in a 4chan thread to describe people who watch anime a lot and wish they were Japanese because of their interest in anime. BUT, weaboos are nowhere close to otaku. Otaku are overly obsessed freaks who are infatuated with whatever fits their fancy. The definition of the word states this, not just my own opinion. OTAKU are the ******* creepy ones. Weaboos, like I said, are just wannabe Japanese anime lovers. We can reference a lot of Otaku behavior from the bad category in this image, although, speaking broken Japanese and pretending to be Japanese is also a weaboo thing, depending on who it is we're talking about. I will repeat once more, Otaku is a derogatory term in Japan. Americans seem to have adopted the use of it to mean "anime fan" when in actuality it is far far worse in definition.

TL;DR Otaku is a derogatory term that you should never use to refer to yourself, while weaboo is more of an anime fan/Japanese wannabe person. Have a good day
User avatar #394 to #392 - angelmatvey (04/01/2013) [-]
Difference in definition, I suppose. Good day to you as well!
#253 - strifethethird (04/01/2013) [-]
>My friends go to anime expo every year
>they find a pass on the floor
>gives it to me so i can go with them
>first time going to an anime expo
>people cosplaying i think its awesome
>i have my pokewalker so random people wanna link with me
>they all act like they're in an anime
>"kawaii" expressions
>MFW
#293 - viewtifulbro (04/01/2013) [-]
I don't give a **** . I love watching anime & going to cons. If I love something, I ain't gonna stop or be afraid to tell people cause of a minority of people who I don't even associate with.
User avatar #310 to #293 - icecreamonnips (04/01/2013) [-]
serious question
why do people watch anime? not being a dick, just want to know. growing up, the closet thing to anime was pokemon
#390 to #310 - viewtifulbro (04/01/2013) [-]
I like anime mostly because of the art style. I think that animation provides a bigger outlet for artistic direction than other mediums.
I like anime mostly because of the art style. I think that animation provides a bigger outlet for artistic direction than other mediums.
User avatar #348 to #310 - ljxjlos ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
Out of the same reasons you watch western cartoons, normal series, read books, listen to music. I don´t really get the question:D It´s entertainment.
User avatar #352 to #348 - icecreamonnips (04/01/2013) [-]
oh, ok. i don't have a problem with it or the people who watch it. its only the people who will take your head off if you don't like it is the kind of people i don't talk too
User avatar #355 to #352 - ljxjlos ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
Ah, okay. But be ensured, those are hated by most casual Anime/Manga-fans, too
#358 to #355 - icecreamonnips (04/01/2013) [-]
thanks kind internet bro for informing me
thanks kind internet bro for informing me
#362 to #358 - ljxjlos ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
No problem. I just hate being lumped into one category. It´s always the same thing, I say I like Anime and Manga, they see me as a weeaboo (the kind of anime-fan you described), I say I listen to Rap, they see me a a swagfag, I say I listen to punk, they see me as a unwashed homeless, I say I listen to metal, they see me as a satanist, I say, I write fantasy, they see me as a nerd who´ll never get a job. I could go on for pages and pages. It just annoys me, so I tend to try getting some prejeduced clear, at least in the internet.
User avatar #371 to #362 - icecreamonnips (04/01/2013) [-]
same here, i have friends that feel like they must conform to one culture or "clique", i just do my own thing and don't conform to anybody. i have at least 10 different kinds of music on my spotify
User avatar #374 to #371 - ljxjlos ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
Yeah, it´s even worse with musical styles. Most of my friends get pissed when we talk about music ´cause I listen to everything.D Never understood the problem:D
User avatar #377 to #374 - icecreamonnips (04/01/2013) [-]
if its good music, its good music is my philosophy
listening to Taco- puttin' on the ritz right now :D
User avatar #378 to #377 - ljxjlos ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
Good Philosophy.
Doesn´t really ring a bell, to me, what kind of music is it?
User avatar #379 to #378 - icecreamonnips (04/01/2013) [-]
really weird 80's electronic music with vocals, was his one hit wonder
User avatar #381 to #379 - ljxjlos ONLINE (04/01/2013) [-]
Ah, okay. Never really got into touch with electronic music too much, always wanted to try some, but the other genres kinda took all my time up.
User avatar #382 to #381 - icecreamonnips (04/01/2013) [-]
its not like todays, its like synthesizers and **** like that. its really underrated i think. im not the best in describing music, lol
[ 399 comments ]
Leave a comment
 Friends (0)