mindfuck. . was more funny stuff at ,. The answer is B. If you were to to close your eyes and randomly point to an answer on the board you would have a 25% chance of selecting B. There are two option
x
Click to expand

Comments(253):

[ 253 comments ]
What do you think? Give us your opinion. Anonymous comments allowed.
#22 - fauxshores (10/20/2012) [-]
The answer is B.

If you were to to close your eyes and randomly point to an answer on the board you would have a 25% chance of selecting B. There are two options for 25% on the board, which means there is a 50% chance of randomly choosing A or D. Both A and D accurately describe the odds of selecting B.

The question in itself is a paradox. You can flip flop between A/D and B, but the real trick is choosing an answer which can be defined (IE, is just one answer, not two like "A and D") and also is true. So...

The correct answer is B, because there is a 50% of guessing A or D. And and D both represent the statistical chance of guessing B.
User avatar #29 to #22 - CRONIK (10/20/2012) [-]
Thought the exact same but couldnt put it into words
-3
#31 to #22 - mammalology has deleted their comment [-]
#72 to #22 - nahingerii ONLINE (10/20/2012) [-]
I tried to say this last time, then I was told I was a faggot and that there was no answer. Thank you for avenging my spirit
User avatar #107 to #22 - ComicBookGuy (10/20/2012) [-]
I think i love you
User avatar #119 to #22 - lolmaister (10/20/2012) [-]
They should have changed the alternative c 60% with 33%, would have been more confusing
0
#122 to #22 - nengcaste **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #226 to #22 - comicallotus (10/20/2012) [-]
but in choosing as the correct answer 50% that would then make the correct answer 25%, since there is only a 25% chance of randomly picking 50%. so a definitive answer seems impossible to me.
User avatar #280 to #22 - severepwner ONLINE (10/26/2012) [-]
I can die in peace now.
User avatar #57 to #22 - asmodeu ONLINE (10/20/2012) [-]
What if it's a trick question and doesn't have any correct answers .. ?
#134 to #22 - theangrydoodle (10/20/2012) [-]
Good Lordy, I'm not even smart enough to comprehend what you just said, but I'm sure it makes sense.
Good Lordy, I'm not even smart enough to comprehend what you just said, but I'm sure it makes sense.
#248 to #22 - benk (10/20/2012) [-]
hate to break it to u but ur wrong, this is y.

It's a multiple choice question with 4 choices, stripping the choices A,B,C, & D of their values to choose one at random gives you a 25% chance of choosing correctly in any multiple choice question. There are two choices for 25%, you would have a 50% chance of choosing the right answer. So the answer is B.
You can't argue this, B is only one choice of 4, so you still have a 25% chance of choosing it at random. "So wouldn't that make the right answer 25%? That's why it's a paradox?" If the answer were 25%, you would have a 50% chance of choosing it at random. B is still the right answer.
The trick is that the question isn't asking you to actually choose on at random, in order to break out of the circle of fallacies you put yourself into you have to split your imagined situation into two dimensions so that you are a spectator watching another person answer the question at random. What is the chance they will answer correctly? Since it is initially 25% by default for any multiple choice, they have two choices for 25%, you now know that they have a 50% chance of answering correctly, thus YOUR answer is 50% while THEIRS is 25%. Any other speculation beyond this is redundant and will lead you to the same conclusion, answer B and continue with the test.

(credit for this answer goes to SilentRaver i took it from an old post here www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/3582142/A+paradox/)
User avatar #268 to #248 - SilentRaver (10/20/2012) [-]
But he's not wrong, in that answer I gave essentially the same explanation but with more jumbled words, which in my opinion only made mine more confusing. Still the same answer though.
User avatar #49 to #22 - siridontcare (10/20/2012) [-]
TLDR FAGGAT
User avatar #129 to #22 - slyve ONLINE (10/20/2012) [-]
I won't pretend i understand this 100%, but i still think this riddle is not solvable. See comment number 47 for details. Whatever you chose changes the answer.

Also, since A and D are the same, your chance of choosing any value randomly is 33,3% which isn't listed at all, and even if it were, it would be turned wrong once you pick it. (since then there would be 4 different values listed, which would make 25 correct, since it wouldn't be a paradox anymore.)
#26 to #22 - vanhoutte (10/20/2012) [-]
If everyone in the world were to be as intelligent as you are my friend, I am quite sure we will have succeeded in exploring the galaxy by now.
#27 to #26 - fauxshores (10/20/2012) [-]
I was expecting someone to be like "TLDR FAGGAT"   
   
Lol, thanks for not being that guy.
I was expecting someone to be like "TLDR FAGGAT"

Lol, thanks for not being that guy.
User avatar #28 to #27 - vanhoutte (10/20/2012) [-]
You're most welcome my friend.
#109 - theacor (10/20/2012) [-]
Comment Picture
+22
#169 - rosacee **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #120 - StewieGGriffin (10/20/2012) [-]
Why are people trying to answer a question when none of the answer could be correct.
-4
#126 to #120 - thimmie **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
#44 - madeyegubbins (10/20/2012) [-]
Comment Picture
#59 - amil (10/20/2012) [-]
#198 - colehaffner (10/20/2012) [-]
nothing better than people trying to rationalize a solution to a paradox
#86 - KungFuZerO (10/20/2012) [-]
Let me save you some time, newcomer

ITT half the people think they know the answer and are wrong
and the other half call them idiots and are right

you're welcome. carry on.
User avatar #84 - commanderbunbun (10/20/2012) [-]
**** it, i'll be a stripper
User avatar #47 - kgs (10/20/2012) [-]
0% It's a paradox. No matter what answer you choose, it's always wrong.
Correct answer will change with the answer you choose; It's either A/D or B, but when you choose A/D, correct answer becomes B & when you chose B, the correct answer becomes A/D.
User avatar #48 to #47 - VincentKing ONLINE (10/20/2012) [-]
C was meant to say 0%, but choosing it would still be wrong as it is 1 in 4 chance. However for this question, the answer I would choose would be C, mainly cause its the odd one out
#53 to #47 - ulysse (10/20/2012) [-]
Quod demonstrandum erat, well done sir.
Quod demonstrandum erat, well done sir.
#56 to #47 - raltz (10/20/2012) [-]
The answer is B) 50%, this is because the question states that the selection is chosen at random, therefore we can disregard the actual answers and treat them as A, B, C and D. Out of these four, one of them would be correct, hence the correct answer would be 25%. Now if we look at the question with the given answers, we see that there are 2 options that are 25%, hence, the chance or randomly selecting the right answer would be P(A)+P(B), hence the correct answer would be B) 50%
User avatar #211 to #56 - kgs (10/20/2012) [-]
This isn't a question of probability as much as it is logic. Pure probability cannot be paradoxical.
User avatar #62 to #56 - TheMonopolyGuy (10/20/2012) [-]
no matter how you look at it it will disprove itself in one way or another, it cant be b beucase theres a 1 in 4 chance of randomly picking b, cant be a or d because theres 2 25% options making it so the chances of picking 25% (a or d) are 50%
User avatar #65 to #62 - TheMonopolyGuy (10/20/2012) [-]
you cant just look at the answers because there is 4 choices that can be made, having 2 of them the same doesnt change that
User avatar #75 - dxninjaxo (10/20/2012) [-]
imo, 75% because you could justify 3 of the answers there.
#99 - XThatGuy (10/20/2012) [-]
E) 100%

Go ahead..tell me I'm wrong...
#42 - John Cena (10/20/2012) [-]
First, we must ask, what is the correct answer? If we were to randomly choose an answer from 4 different answers, we would have a 25% chance of getting the answer correct, BUT the 25% option is two choices, therefor, the correct answer is 50%. This would leave us with answer "B" being the correct answer. Now the probability of our guessing 'B' (the correct answer) is 25%
At this point, our brains like to tell us, that this now makes 25% the correct answer, and we get stuck in an infinite loop,
But all we have to do, is simply pull down our pants and **** logic in the ass.
#241 - comicallotus (10/20/2012) [-]
25% chance of choosing the correct answer randomly; picking one answer out of 4.   
1/4 = 25%. but as we know, a & d are both 25% (2/4), so i guess that then means we have a 50% chance of choosing the correct answer. So the answer is D. 50%   
   
but in choosing as the correct answer as 50% that would then make the REAL correct answer 25%, since there is only a 25% chance of randomly picking 50%.    
   
I dont see anyway around it
25% chance of choosing the correct answer randomly; picking one answer out of 4.
1/4 = 25%. but as we know, a & d are both 25% (2/4), so i guess that then means we have a 50% chance of choosing the correct answer. So the answer is D. 50%

but in choosing as the correct answer as 50% that would then make the REAL correct answer 25%, since there is only a 25% chance of randomly picking 50%.

I dont see anyway around it
User avatar #247 to #241 - crahdol (10/20/2012) [-]
Your reasoning is correct but incomplete. The problem is that your reasoning continues like this forever, making it a paradox. Every correct answer also changes the conditions for the initial question and , thus, changing the answer.

Like this
chance of picking ONE correct answer out of FOUR: 1/4 = 25% chance
chance of picking an answer that says 25%: 2/4 = 50%
chance of picking an answer that says 50%: 1/4 = 25%
chance of picking an answer that says 25%: 2/4 = 50%
chance of picking an answer that says 50%: 1/4 = 25%
chance of picking an answer that says 25%: 2/4 = 50%
chance of picking an answer that says 50%: 1/4 = 25%
etc.
User avatar #251 to #247 - comicallotus (10/20/2012) [-]
ye thank you, thats the point i was trying to make. --when you you've made the correct answer it changes the correct answer completely.
#227 - John Cena (10/20/2012) [-]
They're asking what the probability of picking the correct answer is. They're not asking what the correct answer is. This fact makes it a paradox.
> If you pick 1 answer randomly out of 4 there 1/4 thet it's correct 1/4 = 25%
> However, 2 of the answers say 25 %, so the probability of being correct is 2/4 = 50%
So the correct answer is 50%, well, no. Because theres ony 1/4 answers that say 50% so the answer would be 25%, which there are 2/4 answers of so now the answer is 50% etc. etc. etc.

It goes on linke that forever, you can't answer correctly on that question,
User avatar #230 to #227 - crahdol (10/20/2012) [-]
Forgot to sign in... -.-
#212 - jamath (10/20/2012) [-]
mfw i took a first, and then a second glance
mfw i took a first, and then a second glance
User avatar #143 - mondamini (10/20/2012) [-]
So it's basically a 1/3 chance within a 1/4 chance...

CHANCECEPTION
User avatar #110 - misfitsftw (10/20/2012) [-]
if you answer 50%, 25% chance you're right. if you answer 25%, it's a 50% chance.
#61 - John Cena (10/20/2012) [-]
The thing is that the fourth option shouldn't exist, since it is not a real option, it's just A. Asking the reader to "choose an answer" (only one) would imply that the other options are not correct. Its like: What colour is the sky? A) Blue B) Blue. Whoa! Should I choose A? but B is also correct... hurrrdurr that's a paradox! Its happens kinda the same here. You cant **** with people giving them unreal options. In the sky example you would need to disregard the options and say "both". Similarly, the chances of choosing at random the correct OPTION (only one) between four options is 25% BUT the chances of choosing at random the correct ANSWER (which is "25%", and its written twice) between four options is 50%. So in order to solve the problem, we would have to disregard the options and elaborate a little. Sorry if extra ******** , I hope you get my point.
[ 253 comments ]
Leave a comment
 Friends (0)