Paradox?. . If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance you will be correct. im here now so what thet do you wan?
x

Comments(192):

[ 192 comments ]
What do you think? Give us your opinion. Anonymous comments allowed.
#48 - memescomefromb (09/02/2012) [-]
DIDN'T WANT TO DO MATH ON SATURDAY, OP!    }:[
DIDN'T WANT TO DO MATH ON SATURDAY, OP! }:[
User avatar #14 - paradox (09/01/2012) [-]
im here now so what thet **** do you wan?
#120 - freefan (09/02/2012) [-]
False. I'm ganna go with false on that one. Not ganna lie, I may have heard it before.
User avatar #59 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
I haven't seen anyone get this right.

0% is not an option. You can't pick it.

the options are:
25% which is wrong because there is a 50% chance of picking it.
50% which is wrong because there is a 25% chance of picking it.
60% which is wrong because there is a 25% chance of picking it.

None of the answers are correct. The question therefore, is inherently flawed.
User avatar #136 to #59 - edalo (09/02/2012) [-]
So if no correct answer to the question exist,
The real answer is 0% and since it is not an option, so the chance to choose
at random is 0%, it is the correct answer
Paradox solved - there is an answer, only it is not listed
Is this a paradox?
10 - 2 =?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. ******
User avatar #140 to #136 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
I see your point, but the nature of the question does not allow you to use and answer that is not listed.

Because the correct answer is not listed, and because the question does not allow you to pick a non-listed answer, the question is flawed.
User avatar #144 to #140 - edalo (09/02/2012) [-]
I agree, it is flawed - but it is not a paradox
(not that you said it is)
User avatar #145 to #144 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
Actually if you scroll down you'll see that I explicitly stated that it isn't :p
User avatar #147 to #145 - edalo (09/02/2012) [-]
I SAID that you didn't say it is...
User avatar #151 to #147 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
You but you said that it isn't, and I'm just pointing out that I made that point before.

Also some faggot is thumbing you down, it's not me, so let me thumb you back up like i did nahingerii.
#153 to #151 - nahingerii (09/02/2012) [-]
Balance, is restored
User avatar #157 to #153 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
it's not. I'm gonna need someone to thumb that original comment down 23 times first.
User avatar #139 to #136 - edalo (09/02/2012) [-]
I just accidentally English.
Sorry everyone.
#123 to #59 - nahingerii (09/02/2012) [-]
But the answer is 50% because there is a 50% chance of picking 25% which is the right answer.
User avatar #124 to #123 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
There is a 50% percent chance of picking 25% and a 25% chance of picking 50 percent so both answers are wrong.
#126 to #124 - nahingerii (09/02/2012) [-]
But the chance of picking of picking 25% is 50% Which means that the answer to the question is 50% regardless of its value. You have to take it at face value before applying it to one of the options.
User avatar #132 to #126 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
You're saying that the one and only correct answer is B) 50%

Why? Because you have a 50% chance of picking either A) 25% or D) 25%. 25% being the one and only correct answer.
#135 to #132 - nahingerii (09/02/2012) [-]
Yes, I know its strange, but its a paradox remember? By picking 50% you ARE picking 25% you're simply picking them both
User avatar #137 to #135 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
No. You're picking a wrong answer.

There is no paradox here. There is a simple fallacy that voids all 4 answers.

Look at the question like this.

Is OP a faggot?
A)Possibly
B)Probably
C)No
D)Possibly

The correct answer to the question is yes, but since that's not one of the options you can't just settle for possibly or probably. Therefore the question is flawed.

This analogy is also SEVERELY flawed. But so is your logic so let's call it quits.
#141 to #137 - nahingerii (09/02/2012) [-]
Im using simple Logic, I cant imagine how much you must over think everything in life. Your love making must be...horrid or wonderful..........and have a lot of cogs and levers....
User avatar #149 to #141 - edalo (09/02/2012) [-]
Rule #1 of internet - If someones brings the other side's (or his mother's) sex life into an argument, he's probably wrong
User avatar #143 to #141 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
Rule #1 of sex -> Trust your instincts. Don't apply logic where it is not needed.

I save up all my logic for arguments on the internet about stupid questions that are made to trick stupid people into having stupid arguments like this.
#146 to #143 - nahingerii (09/02/2012) [-]
But there is no rule 34 about this argument or us, therefore none of it ever existed...
User avatar #148 to #146 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
There IS rule 34 of this argument.
#150 to #148 - nahingerii (09/02/2012) [-]
The arguement, but not of us having it. Therefore we dont exist
#199 to #150 - arguement (09/03/2012) [-]
*argument
User avatar #155 to #150 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
Dude you're just making **** up. Of course we exist, and of course there's porn of us.

You can't disprove any of that, stop making these wild claims.
#159 to #155 - nahingerii (09/02/2012) [-]
The moon is made of Cheese! your a nazi, Mars is all lies and propganda, gandi was satan (gets taken away and bundled into a van)


But but but, how is there porn of us? Ive grown afraid
User avatar #162 to #159 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
And so Godwin's law is applied once again.

Of course there is porn of us, and that's a good thing, otherwise we wouldn't exist.
#163 to #162 - nahingerii (09/02/2012) [-]
Find it find it find it
User avatar #170 to #163 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
I have plenty porn of me. I could find porn of you but I'd need enough personal information.

Like where you live, what time you sleep, when you usually get naked/fap/have sex, etc.
User avatar #171 to #170 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
and knowledge of any places that provide a good viewing angle into your bedroom when doiung the aforementioned activities.
#173 to #171 - nahingerii (09/02/2012) [-]
Top of the world trade centre, 8am, September 11th 2001, thats a great place for a vantage point
User avatar #185 to #173 - ewowo (09/02/2012) [-]
too bad I lost the keys to my TARDIS, though.
User avatar #19 - jetpistol (09/01/2012) [-]
E) 20%
#87 - robotekk ONLINE (09/02/2012) [-]
At lest mention you word-for-word reposted from this, faggot op
#178 - anon (09/02/2012) [-]
First, the task is to answer the question at random. You have 4 oppotunities that is 25% chance to be correct.

Second we observe that A and D are the same (25%) That leaves us with 3 possibol answers.
A-D 25%
B 50%
C 60%

When ever you have 3 oppotunities you have a 33,33% chance to be correct.

But the paradox is that the answer changes each time you choose an anser for exampel if you choose 60% you are 25% likely to be right. If you choose 25% you are 50% likely to be correct.

And it's impossibol to pick random when you allready have seen the numbers.
#183 to #178 - idkwhattonamethis (09/02/2012) [-]
Me being a math fag, you can't consider A and D the same choice, but rather different ones, because you're choosing at random. But you got your paradox part right =P
#179 to #178 - anon (09/02/2012) [-]
i just thumbed down this post for the sole reason that you put a lot of work into this. and i might as well post it as anon. u mad bro?
#193 to #179 - anon (09/02/2012) [-]
No you thumbed it down because you're sad, lonely and bored. Which funnily enough is all the world views you as; sad, lonely and boring. How does it feel knowing no one loves you?
User avatar #192 to #179 - jordoguy (09/02/2012) [-]
I don't think he is
User avatar #189 to #179 - sirxyloid (09/02/2012) [-]
You're just jelly 'cause he has more intelligence than you.
#187 to #179 - thebuzzer (09/02/2012) [-]
I thumbed it back up, because **** you. Plus not everyone is a dick:)
#180 to #179 - chubbylittlemonkey (09/02/2012) [-]
Come on you don't have to be such an asshole.
#56 to #6 - kingthatcrawls (09/02/2012) [-]
Portals can't be placed on moving surfaces.
#61 to #56 - alleksi (09/02/2012) [-]
THIS IS TRUE AND BEFORE  ANY ONE GIVES ME THAT 			********		 ABOUT MOVING PORTALS IN PORTAL 2...   
   
the portals that move in portal 2, are not moving to the direction that the portal is facing   
   
in portal 2 you shoot a portal at the ceiling so you could launch yourself up but the launch pad doesn't launch you high enough so glados helps you and lowers the ceiling. because the surface is now moving to the same direction that the portal is facing, your portal disappears and you have to place it again.   
   
in the level where you must use the lasers to cut the pipes, the surface is moving along the portals x-axis, not Y so the portal doesnt disappear
THIS IS TRUE AND BEFORE ANY ONE GIVES ME THAT ******** ABOUT MOVING PORTALS IN PORTAL 2...

the portals that move in portal 2, are not moving to the direction that the portal is facing

in portal 2 you shoot a portal at the ceiling so you could launch yourself up but the launch pad doesn't launch you high enough so glados helps you and lowers the ceiling. because the surface is now moving to the same direction that the portal is facing, your portal disappears and you have to place it again.

in the level where you must use the lasers to cut the pipes, the surface is moving along the portals x-axis, not Y so the portal doesnt disappear
#79 to #61 - klokpkik (09/02/2012) [-]
In the entire game, there is only one moment where portals can actually move, and you've already pointed that out. Don't you think it's unsubstantiated though to draw conclusions only from that? I'm 99% sure the portals were just scripted in that case.
User avatar #83 to #79 - alleksi (09/02/2012) [-]
there's no reason for us not to believe that portals have some "laws of movement"

there have been demonstrations where portals haven't been able to move
and there's been a demonstration whee a portal has been able to move

so we can quite easily draw a conclusion that a portal can move, but only when the surface isn't rotating, moving diagonally or moving towards/away from the direction the portal is facing.
#85 to #83 - klokpkik (09/02/2012) [-]
You're taking the game WAY too seriously. There have been exactly two demonstrations, and the chances are that they have just been scripted in without any deeper thought from the devs. Can you just please accept that this is a hypothethical scenario and that everyone knows that portals in the game cannot move.
There is no point getting pissed off over the internet over this.
#86 to #85 - alleksi (09/02/2012) [-]
sorry, I just like over analyzing things   
   
I just feel like the people over at valve are smart enough to actually plan these things out
sorry, I just like over analyzing things

I just feel like the people over at valve are smart enough to actually plan these things out
#88 to #86 - klokpkik (09/02/2012) [-]
I think they didn't expect someone to try and make exact rules for movement of portals.
User avatar #169 to #56 - jonluw (09/02/2012) [-]
Moving relative to what?
Every single surface on earth is a moving surface because of earth's movement through space.
#75 to #56 - klokpkik (09/02/2012) [-]
Don't do this, please. There's always ONE person who just has to misunderstand the situation and state what everyone already knows: Portals cannot be placed on moving surfaces. This is a hypothetical scenario. If you want to nitpick, you could also argue that portals aren't real.
#89 to #75 - kingthatcrawls (09/02/2012) [-]
Excuse me..?

No, you misunderstand me, sir. I understand the situation. It's troll physics(hence the troll picture above). It's just the situation of the "Closing portal walls" couldn't be, because of the way the game was designed for portals cannot be placed on moving surfaces. At least in the case of Portal One, I may add. Anytime a portal was placed on a surface, and said surface moved, the portal would vanish. Therefore, in the image above, "Will you survive? If yes, where will you go?" would not even matter. The answer is, "No you will not survive." Given that the portals would vanish, and you'd ultimately be squished between two platforms.

Sorry for seeming serious! I know it was a joke~

And also, picture very much unrelated.
User avatar #15 to #6 - herodan (09/01/2012) [-]
your right side will just get slammed into your right side and because there is no space without going through the other portal you will jjst slam into yourself until you are nothing more than particles, i think
#40 - ragingbrony ONLINE (09/02/2012) [-]
This image has expired
#101 - anon (09/02/2012) [-]
addictakilla helped me on this, but im gonna explain it better
ignore the fact that answers are percents
If you choose a random answer, what is the %?

A. Red
B. Red
C. Blue
D. Green

If i picked randomly, there is a 50% chance of me picking red, 25 of blue and 25 of green. Now if you replace red blue and green with 25 50 and 60, the answer is still 50%. the fact that option B is 50 has no meaning.
"dont judge by the content of each answer, just the quantity of the total answers."
-addictakilla
User avatar #160 - iHAXnoobs (09/02/2012) [-]
you're all looking at it wrong, it would be 25% but then there are two so it would be 50% but there is one so it would be 25% etc.. etc.. etc.. he never said "chose an answer at random what where your chances of getting it right" he said "IF" which means you do not have to choose the answer at random
TL;DR you don't have to choose a random answer that has nothing to do with it.
#182 - tornadoofanger (09/02/2012) [-]
**** your **** , I do what I want
#122 - anon (09/02/2012) [-]
everyone is incorrect it is c. 60 %
because it works everytime
User avatar #51 - Sambenmaggie (09/02/2012) [-]
If we assume that this is a standard multiple choice question, in which our options to select between are A, B, C, and D, then the odds of picking each answer are as follows:
50% chance of picking A or D (25%)
25% chance of picking B (50%)
25% chance of picking C (60%)

So, it's clear that none of the answers are correct. 25% can't be the right answer, since there's a 50% chance of picking it. Similarly, 50% can't be the right answer, since there's a 25% chance of picking it. And 60% isn't even superficially plausible.

Therefore, the chance that you'll be correct is 0%.
#28 - anon (09/02/2012) [-]
There are 4 choices. The answer is either A, B, C, or D, so the chances of you picking the correct one regardless of its answer is 25%.
User avatar #29 to #28 - dishesaredone (09/02/2012) [-]
but there are 2 choices with 25%
#58 to #29 - hunterhxc (09/02/2012) [-]
and so 50% is now the correct chocie. But there's only 1 answer for 50%, so now the correct answer is 25% ******* PARADOXES MAN
User avatar #190 - eaglepete (09/02/2012) [-]
B. Either you are right or you are wrong.. 50-50
User avatar #166 - TheSchwartz (09/02/2012) [-]
When in doubt, C
User avatar #121 - blueeyedpunk (09/02/2012) [-]
E. All of the above
User avatar #57 - kolimm **User deleted account** (09/02/2012) [-]
C!
because my parents never let me go to school
[ 192 comments ]
Leave a comment
 Friends (0)