A paradox. i'm not sure which to choose.. when in doubt... choose C
Home Original Content Funny Pictures Funny GIFs YouTube Funny Text Funny Movies Channels Search

hide menu

A paradox

i'm not sure which to choose

Tags: go hoos
+3062
Views: 65347
Favorited: 305
Submitted: 04/13/2012
Share On Facebook
Add to favorites Subscribe to coloredfolks E-mail to friend submit to reddit
Share image on facebook Share on StumbleUpon Share on Tumblr Share on Pinterest Share on Google Plus E-mail to friend

Comments(623):

[ 623 comments ]

Show All Replies Show Shortcuts
Show:   Top Rated Controversial Best Lowest Rated Newest Per page:
Order:
What do you think? Give us your opinion. Anonymous comments allowed.
#13 - xxxsonic fanxxx (04/13/2012) [-]
when in doubt...
choose C
#133 - SilentRaver (04/14/2012) [+] (14 replies)
It's a multiple choice question with 4 choices, stripping the choices A,B,C, & D of their values to choose one at random gives you a 25% chance of choosing correctly in any multiple choice question. There are two choices for 25%, you would have a 50% chance of choosing the right answer. So the answer is B.
You can't argue this, B is only one choice of 4, so you still have a 25% chance of choosing it at random. "So wouldn't that make the right answer 25%? That's why it's a paradox?" If the answer were 25%, you would have a 50% chance of choosing it at random. B is still the right answer.
The trick is that the question isn't asking you to actually choose on at random, in order to break out of the circle of fallacies you put yourself into you have to split your imagined situation into two dimensions so that you are a spectator watching another person answer the question at random. What is the chance they will answer correctly? Since it is initially 25% by default for any multiple choice, they have two choices for 25%, you now know that they have a 50% chance of answering correctly, thus YOUR answer is 50% while THEIRS is 25%. Any other speculation beyond this is redundant and will lead you to the same conclusion, answer B and continue with the test.

#38 - mrblues (04/13/2012) [-]
42?
#307 - dogfinder (04/14/2012) [-]
ITS B
BECAUSE EITHER YOU'RE RIGHT
OR YOU'RE WRONG
50%

#258 - fluffybunnyyellow (04/14/2012) [-]
<--- Everyone in the comments, discussing this paradox
#391 - ripperrapper (04/14/2012) [+] (1 reply)
#535 - starbuckfrappuccin (04/14/2012) [+] (3 replies)
MFW
#278 - xxxsonic fanxxx (04/14/2012) [+] (7 replies)
It's not a paradox at all, the answer is 50%, because its a 1/4th chance so 25%. Except that 25% is given twice. Therefor the answer is 50%. no paradox involved. Just some tricky word play
#280 to #278 - xxxsonic fanxxx (04/14/2012) [-]
no there's only one answer: 50%. so the answer is 25% percent. which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25% which is listed twice so the answer is 50%. which is listed once so the answer is 25%
User avatar #12 - DanR (04/13/2012) [+] (1 reply)
question cant be answered
if the correct answer would be A or D (25%) then your chances of guessing it are 50% so it's not A or D.

if the correct answer is B (50%) then your chances of guessing it are 25% so it's also wrong.
if the correct answer is C (60%), once again your chances of guessing it are 25%, wrong.
#14 to #12 - xxxsonic fanxxx (04/13/2012) [-]
#652 - lmaobutts (04/14/2012) [+] (1 reply)
#103 - magicalex (04/14/2012) [-]
Four answers

If there is one correct answer, 1/4 = 25%

However, there are two choices for 25%. Therefore, if 25% is right, and there are two options for 25%, 50% is right. Both 25% and 50% cannot be right, so 25% cannot be right.

If the answer is 50%, then there are two possible correct answers, meaning there is another answer besides 50% that is correct. There cannot be two correct answers at the same time that are different, so 60% is left.

60% = 2.4/4. This means 2.4 of the answers are correct, which makes no sense.

Therefore, **** all, there is no correct answer.
#569 - vulpixxx (04/14/2012) [+] (3 replies)
Okay so actually, it's like this: If we are allowed to make the assumption that the answers A) B) C) D) are the only responses to be picked in a random then the "chance" of picking the right answer is 0% because the correct answer would be 'does not exist' because there is no logical basis to make the assumption that one of the four answers is correct. In reality it's a question hidden behind a misleading question. Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky earned the Nobel prize in 2002 for their models showing that intuitive reasoning is flawed in predictable ways and this is a prime example.
#641 - gildemoono (04/14/2012) [-]
GUISE! I know it guise. im srs rite nao guise, srsly. its 60 percent!
#234 - psychosamm (04/14/2012) [-]
So if you skipped this question you would receive full credit?
User avatar #231 - plumphat (04/14/2012) [-]
Okay so here's the deal... Let's treat this question as a regular multiple choice question with 4 possible answers A, B, C, D. Then these are the odds of picking each answer:

-50% chance of picking A/D (25% each)
-25% chance of picking B (50%)
-25% chance of picking C (60%)

None of the answers are right. 25% cannot be correct, since there's a 50% chance of picking that answer. The same way, 50% can't be the right answer since there's only a 25% chance of picking it. 60% isn't possible in any regard, so it too can be thrown out.

So there is actually a 0% chance you will be correct. Since 0% isn't an answer, the question is a Paradox. Hopefully this clears some things up for some of you.
#174 - wisdomtooth (04/14/2012) [+] (2 replies)
The answer is C

Because **** everything
#555 - lolelollipop (04/14/2012) [-]
50%

either it's correct or not
#542 - alonelycliffjumper (04/14/2012) [+] (2 replies)
I know that every single person who has viewed this post wants to try and figure it out, but that really is not the point. The whole point is that it is something funny for someone to enjoy. If the person figures this question out then that takes the fun away from the post and doesn't make it fun. That's what I think anyway, but here's an ice-cream to anyone who actually read this comment.
#486 - pinkiepirate (04/14/2012) [-]
< mfw
#11 - dgrams (04/13/2012) [+] (3 replies)
**dgrams rolled a random image posted in comment #1 at Full of need! **
The question is: what is the probability that you randomly choose the right answer to this question.
we have two possibilites:
1. there is a right answer to this question
2. there is no right answer to this question to see wether or not this is a paradox one can do by testing this two possibilites. If we suppose that there is a right answer, we have three possible answers:
1.1 the probability that we randomly choose the right answer is 25%
1.2 the probability that we randomly choose the right answer is 50%
1.3 the probability that we randomly choose the right answer is 0%
we did suppose that we have a right answer, so one of this three must be correct. If we find contradictions in all the three cases, the hypothesis that there is a right answer must be rejected. If the first one is correct ( A) and D)) we have a chance of 50% to choose this answer at random. This is in contradiction with the answer itself since it states that we have a chance of 25%. The same reasoning applies for the other two answers; we always get contradictions.
We therefore must conclude, that there can not be a right answer.
Now let us suppose that there is no right answer.
If there is no right answer, the probability to randomly choose a right answer is 0%, (since there is none). But if the probability to randomly choose the right answer to this question is 0% and 0% is a possible answer to the question, we get a contradiction, since C becomes a correct answer.
[ 623 comments ]
Leave a comment
 Friends (0)