Waht. a. File: -( KB, 1500x844, Hegelian memetics, jpg) gunplay character fer nerds of science is tacked onto seem intelligent plot attempts to appear deep er c Twist
x

Waht

Tags: Twist
File: -( KB, 1500x844, Hegelian memetics, jpg)
gunplay
character fer nerds
of science is tacked onto seem intelligent
plot attempts to appear deep er complex
Exetremely linear
Scripting
average gameplay
Underrated by fans and critics alike
So what did N/ think at Half Life 2?
Anonymous (( Thu) 13: 34 Replies: :? 512
File: , 306x239, Batman Laughingg, jpg)
...
  • Recommend tagsx
+736
Views: 39386
Favorited: 62
Submitted: 09/06/2013
Share On Facebook
Add to favorites Subscribe to sawdragon Subscribe to videogames submit to reddit

Comments(218):

[ 218 comments ]
What do you think? Give us your opinion. Anonymous comments allowed.
#27 - bitchletsgo (09/06/2013) [-]
Well I disagree, HL2 was out in 2004 and BS this year. That's like 11 years to make a progress other than graphics and adding some guns. BTW as far as I know the big thing about HL2 was adding some good physics to a game.
User avatar #102 to #27 - rivenworlder (09/07/2013) [-]
What made Half-Life 2 explode was how advanced the game engine and fidelity was, at the time. The physics, the lighting, and the sheer detail of the world was something that had never been seen in gaming at the time.

By comparison, in that year Battlefield Vietnam and Unreal Tournament 2004 released.
User avatar #151 to #102 - johnthunda (09/07/2013) [-]
it also could have been released a year earlier if valve didnt get haxd
User avatar #40 to #27 - Jabberwocky ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
2004 + 11 = 2015

is that the projected release date for the sequel or something?
User avatar #158 to #40 - bitchletsgo (09/07/2013) [-]
Well it was pretty late when I typed that, but ye ****** math man...
#146 - erodus (09/07/2013) [-]
I liked bioshock infinite
I liked bioshock infinite
#149 to #146 - anon (09/07/2013) [-]
hnnng
#154 to #149 - vampyrate (09/07/2013) [-]
Here, have this!
#155 to #146 - rasrors (09/07/2013) [-]
Mhm. Gonna need for source for that one.
User avatar #208 to #202 - tomahawkit **User deleted account** (09/07/2013) [-]
how about a not safe for work warning there bud?
User avatar #209 to #208 - scytherkris (09/07/2013) [-]
Well it's quite obvious that it's **** seeing as it's the source to the above Elizabeth gif...
User avatar #210 to #209 - tomahawkit **User deleted account** (09/07/2013) [-]
I thought it was a glitch, my bad I guess
User avatar #180 to #155 - kabasta (09/07/2013) [-]
Ellowas
#201 to #146 - bloofy (09/07/2013) [-]
Comment Picture
User avatar #12 - finblob (09/06/2013) [-]
I've never played any Half-Life games.

i'm sorry please don't hurt me i'm just not good at video games
User avatar #41 to #12 - mechaemperor (09/07/2013) [-]
They're decent and quite fun to say the least. Though, if you can, get vanilla copies. Valve updates ****** up mod support and DX9-10 features.
User avatar #64 to #12 - RisenLichen (09/07/2013) [-]
Same, I'm not really into shooters
User avatar #68 to #12 - nlogax (09/07/2013) [-]
Check out the Black Mesa mod for the first Half-Life with dope ass graphics.
User avatar #84 to #12 - hates (09/07/2013) [-]
I only downloaded Half Life 2 so I could see all the models in Garry's Mod.
#114 to #12 - nonanonnon (09/07/2013) [-]
Hell, I played them before I had ever encountered AI before.

"hah, you simpletons, just keep walking into my bullets- IS THAT A GRENADE?! *boom*"

Just gotta lower the difficulty down below easy to "frilly pink princess" level and you'll be fine.
User avatar #182 to #12 - greedtheavaricious (09/07/2013) [-]
I kinda quit because the long loading times/autosaving were so annoying. Might as well be my laptops fault, though.
#203 to #12 - anon (09/07/2013) [-]
I tried them.Thought it was the most overrated **** I have ever played.Just like every valve game
#18 to #12 - anon (09/06/2013) [-]
They are incredibly overrated. I was very disappointed when I actually played half life the first time.
User avatar #20 to #18 - finblob (09/06/2013) [-]
Yeah, I'm wouldn't say I'm a gamer, I'm a casual.
I play things like TF2, Minecraft, Morrowind and Skyrim..a couple of things on Steam, I just started playing Fallout 3 (My friend got it for my Birthday and I only just managed to get it to work) but other than them I don't play too many games.
#184 to #20 - daichialkoor (09/07/2013) [-]
Mhh, yes, those are pretty much casual games, but it's not like you played COD and Fifa, and on the top of that, you play Morrowind, wich is absolutely not casual.
User avatar #87 to #20 - roflnaut (09/07/2013) [-]
I think I fall into the same boat as you. I prefer a fun experience with quick, intense moments that keep me interested, as I cannot play a game for more than an hour or two before I have to start doing work and **** like that.
I would rather spend the slightly short time I have playing a game that won't make me scream and punch a hole into my monitor.
I used to be a relatively hardcore gamer, but times like that are gone.
User avatar #14 to #12 - koff (09/06/2013) [-]
They are great games. (Pro of not playing them is that you aren't waiting for Episode Three)
User avatar #51 to #12 - supamonkey (09/07/2013) [-]
You're doing yourself a disservice by not playing them.
User avatar #134 to #12 - europe (09/07/2013) [-]
**europe pokes you with a stick**

There.
Half-Life 2 has an EZ difficulty option so there's no need to worry
#24 to #12 - streetgoblin (09/06/2013) [-]
You should really give half-life a try, they are amazing games
User avatar #117 to #24 - drunkasaurus (09/07/2013) [-]
I've been trying but it's a little difficult when you're almost dead and when you die you keep respawning with 5% health and there's nowhere to go to find more but there's a **** ton of aliens right around the corner...
User avatar #122 to #24 - liftplus (09/07/2013) [-]
i disagree but thats your opinion and i respect that
#206 to #24 - anon (09/07/2013) [-]
how cheap is it?
User avatar #207 to #206 - streetgoblin (09/07/2013) [-]
well, you could buy the orange box which will give you half-life 2 with both episodes (3 games total) and also includes Portal 1 and TF2 for 14 euro, or you could buy each half-life separately for about 6-8 euro each
User avatar #3 - matamune (09/06/2013) [-]
HL2 is like the holy grail of gameplay
#11 to #3 - anon (09/06/2013) [-]
It was mediocre at best, there are game's now a days that easily surpass it.
HL2 was rather boring and i love FPS.
User avatar #28 to #11 - majormoron (09/06/2013) [-]
Well you know it's hardly fair to compare a game from 2004 to a game from 2013.
#43 to #28 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
Half-life 1 had better gameplay. It wasn't that much better, but it was, and it was from 2001. Also Deus Ex was from 2000, and it is one of the best, if not the best game I have ever played
User avatar #52 to #43 - BmanX (09/07/2013) [-]
Half-Life 1 came out in 1998, not 2001.
#54 to #52 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
Just looked it up, turns out it did come out in 1998, and it was the PS2 port that came out in 2001
User avatar #57 to #54 - BmanX (09/07/2013) [-]
Ah, honest mistake I see. I actually started playing it not too long ago, and so far, it's pretty sweet. Though I wouldn't say it has better gameplay than HL2, especially with the gravity gun being in there. That thing kicks so much ass.
#58 to #57 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
I think the gunplay was better in the original, but the gravity gun just added so much to the game, and the physics were unbelievably good in 2. Also I liked the setting and story better in the first one, even though the second was exceptional with those as well
User avatar #95 to #58 - BmanX (09/07/2013) [-]
Well for as far as I've gone, the setting has been kind of blah as the whole thing has been in the Black Mesa facility.
#96 to #95 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
The whole game is in the black mesa facility, the setting doesn't change nearly as much as HL2, but I loved the facility, even if it's layout was linear and relied on breaking walls and generally didn't make sense
User avatar #100 to #96 - BmanX (09/07/2013) [-]
That's what I figured. So, gotta say HL2 easily has the better setting. As for story, I'm not too keen on either of them.
#101 to #100 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
The setting is opinion, the story in half-life one is basically not a factor except for the beggining and the end of the game, and HL2 didn't have a very good story, it had good lore, but not a good story
User avatar #44 to #43 - majormoron (09/07/2013) [-]
You notice I only said its not fair to compare HL2 to modern games, Im well aware that there might be games that are better than HL2 from the same era.
#46 to #44 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
Well why would it be unfair to compare HL2 to current games, but not a game 4 years older than HL2?
User avatar #48 to #46 - majormoron (09/07/2013) [-]
firstly because 2004 to 2013 is 9 years, while 200 to 2004 is only 4, so less than half the first scenario. Secondly, if a game that was made EARILIER than another game happens to be better, then by all means that's a really good game, But the other way around is unfair. Saying a game that was made AFTER another game is better than the first isn't fair because who knows what advances were made between those two games (i.e. better writers hired, technological upgrades)

does that make sense to you? Im not sure if I worded this right.
#49 to #48 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
I'm comparing Deus Ex to modern games, not to HL2, but I can see how you got confused about that
User avatar #50 to #49 - majormoron (09/07/2013) [-]
Ah, ok well either way Comparing an old game to new game is fair, but comparing a new game to an old game isn't. Make sense?
User avatar #223 to #43 - matamune (09/09/2013) [-]
I tried Deus. Couldn't get hooked, and you need to be hooked to enjoy it
#224 to #223 - siemorecox (09/09/2013) [-]
The tutorial and first level suck, it's really easy to become hooked after that
User avatar #26 to #11 - hanakoikezawa (09/06/2013) [-]
But the mods that came from the community made what most FP games today.
#113 to #3 - arrowshock (09/07/2013) [-]
Wouldn't HL3 be the Holy Grail of gaming, since it has not yet been found?
#33 - allamericandude (09/07/2013) [-]
>Gunplay is the default game mode of the vast majority of games on the market. You point a boom stick at something and it dies. There's not much you can do to improve it.
>Stylized characters compliment the setting and the story.
>Sciency theme suggests they actually put thought into the game.
>Interesting plot with a neat twist that rivals most movies.
>I don't give too many ***** about linearity as long as the story/gameplay is still interesting, which it was.
>Scripting builds the story.
>Gameplay had some faults, but they were balanced by features that made it stand out.
>Rated highly 'cause it's so ******* good.

I like a game that has a good story and creative theme, and Bioshock Infinite was one of the best games I've played in a long time.
User avatar #126 to #33 - traelos (09/07/2013) [-]
>You've never played Borderlands, or Half-Life, or Team Fortress 2, or Mass Effect, or Halo, or even a realism shooter like Red Orchestra 2 have you?
> Elizabeth, while nice, was neither original or well written. She even did the thing in the middle where she throws a hissy fit because she refuses to listen to even one sentence from him when she finds out the "horrible truth" about Booker.
> Suggests it, but upon closer inspections proves they did not. That's not how multiverses work, and if I wanted a poorly written multiverse story I'd read DC comics
> Most movies don't have interesting plot twists, Infinite's wasn't either, so I suppose you're half right
> The only thing better than scripting is having the events happen naturally
> Nothing in Infinite really stood out, if anything it was less fulfilling than the first game, which admittedly had **** gunplay
> Rated highly because the first one was so ******* good

I like a game with a good story and high immersion and Infinite was entirely underwhelming.
#56 to #33 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
>Limited to 2 guns, which can be a good thing and add depth to the game, but doesn't in infinites case, instead it only limits it, enemies are bullet sponges, especially the patriots, cover isn't nescesary at all except on the top 2 difficulties, the vigors feel like they were shoehorned in at the last minute to make it feel more like bioshock, they're not useful, there's little variety between them, and the trap option for them isn't useful at all.
As for improving it, they could have done a lot of different things. They could have added more variety of weapons, instead of the same ones with different firing patterns, allowed you to hold more than 2 weapons, lower your health and make cover more necessary against trash enemies but still not overly important on difficulties lower than hard, made patriots more than just walking bullet spraying bullet sponges, they could have taken fewer bullets to kill, but done more damage and stay in generally the same favorable position, it would have made the fights much more intense, and feel like less of a chore, the rails could have been utilized much, MUCH more, instead of just being nescesary to get to that one enemy on the roof, and then not used again afterwards
>The Style is definitely good, no-one can deny that, and it does fit very well
>The sciency theme is there because steam punk is popular, and a bunch of people seem to think it's just the coolest thing ever, so it's based on popularity, not "Putting thought into the game" Unless you count following popular themes as that thought
>The plot is OK, not amazing like everyone claims, the twist was interesting, but the ending made no ******* sense at all. There is an unbelievable ammount of plot holes you can find by just thinking about it for a few seconds
>Linearity really shouldn't matter, I prefer open world and non-linear, but it doesn't affect gameplay, and people shouldn't be complaining about it
I would right more, but I'm out of characters.
#59 to #56 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
Eh, I'm gonna continue anyways
>Scripting can help the story, but when you have it happen too much, it takes away the feeling that you're in control, that things that are happening are happening because of you, bad things that happened were your fault, and good things were earned through effort, instead they just happen, which takes away from it
>Gameplay had a lot of faults, there were'nt really that many good features, and it didn't add anything to the current norm, and in some cases, it had less
>Rated highly because people seem to just want good looking games with 2deep stories instead of good gameplay these days
User avatar #77 to #59 - allamericandude (09/07/2013) [-]
I guess I just value a good story and artistic theme (graphics) over gameplay (though that isn't to say I don't value gameplay). Especially in campaign-based games like Bioshock--where gameplay takes a back seat. At the end of the day, you're only facing a computer, so I've got no problem turning the difficulty down to easy and just watching the story play out. (The exception to this was Crysis 3, where the gameplay was so horrible I couldn't bring myself to keep playing it--beautiful as it was.) And I usually only rent games like this, so it's not like I'm wasting my money and missing out on the game's "full potential".

The only time gameplay really becomes important to me is online, like in war or racing games. But those are a dime a dozen (not literally, sadly).
#79 to #77 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
I guess that's just how you play. Personally, I can't stand games with bad gameplay, it takes away the reason for playing.  I think gameplay is more important than everything else because the gameplay is the fun part of the game, graphics and story are just icing on the cake. And personally, I don't want a glob of beautifully drawn frosting. I want cake.
I guess that's just how you play. Personally, I can't stand games with bad gameplay, it takes away the reason for playing. I think gameplay is more important than everything else because the gameplay is the fun part of the game, graphics and story are just icing on the cake. And personally, I don't want a glob of beautifully drawn frosting. I want cake.
User avatar #80 to #79 - allamericandude (09/07/2013) [-]
In the words of Tumblr: "There are two kinds of people."
#89 to #80 - lycoris (09/07/2013) [-]
Just wanted to point out that you two exchanged personal opinions on a vidya game without turning it into a ********* ragematch. It was so beautiful. Least I can possibly do is thumb all your comments.
User avatar #124 to #59 - qosfortyone (09/07/2013) [-]
you mean the ending where all the elizabeths drowned him or the real ending?

after the drowning scene the credits roll
in the middle of it you wake up in your office and hear anna in the next room which booker rush to meaning he still have his memory of losing her

he got what he wanted, he got the girl and wiped away the dept
#125 to #124 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
That ending didn't make any sense. At all. Was he dreaming the whole time? Or did Elizabeths drowning every version of him that turns into comstock just put him into a different life? Either way it was a dumb ending. Also this seems like just the kind of situation admin added spoiler tags for
User avatar #129 to #125 - qosfortyone (09/07/2013) [-]
i forgot these exist

when they were walking between the lighthouses you see another booker with his elizabeth
and in the drowning scene there were multiple elizabeths
each came with her booker, drowned him and waited for the next elizabeth in line

until he got his Anna
hope that makes sense
#144 to #129 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
Actually Anna is Elizabeth, she was renamed at some point after Comstock took her away from Booker, and when alternate booker accepted the baptism, he turned into Comstock later in his life, due to being religious instead of having a family, and as long as Comstock existed, he would take Elizabeth/Anna from non-Comstock Booker, and so they would always be seperated as long as there were Comstocks, and Booker would keep going in loops trying to save Anna/Elizabeth, and has already gone through Columbia over 100 times, and every time he did the Lettuces(I don't remember how to spell their names, the twins that are actually alternate universe versions of each other) had been keeping track of a coin flip every time you go through columbia, and it had been heads every time, over 100 times, and since this was an infinite loop(I don't remember exactly how it becomes an infinite loop with Booker, I haven't touched the game since very soon after it came out) he decided to let the elizabeths kill the original him right before he made the decision whether or not to be baptized, which removed current booker, comstock, and all elizabeths(Which should be making the whole thing moot/making a paradox, because they couldn't exist to kill him if he died) and then for some reason, only the Comstock version died and Booker version is with Anna It makes no ******* sense and is just a *********** of confusion. The story was pretty good up until that point
#148 to #144 - qosfortyone (09/07/2013) [-]
now i'm confused it used to make sense to me
now i'm confused it used to make sense to me
#152 to #148 - siemorecox (09/07/2013) [-]
Heres how it happened to me: I watched the ending, it didn't make too much sense, left a lot of questions, watched it again, thought I understood it, realized there were still things I didn't know, watched it couple more times, and each time I watched it again I discovered more *********** of time paradoxes and plotholes
User avatar #183 - nustix (09/07/2013) [-]
>uninspired gunplay
>waifu character for nerds
>Theme of science is tacked on to seem intelligent
>simple plot attempts to appear deep or complex
>extremely linear
>Excessive scripting
>below average gameplay
>overrated by fans and critics alike

So what did funnyjunk think of the last of us.
User avatar #186 to #183 - blueboysixnine (09/07/2013) [-]
I dropped it after the guy's daughter got shot. it was pretty good until then though
User avatar #190 to #186 - lostbutseeking (09/07/2013) [-]
well thats the first 5 min of the game...
User avatar #191 to #190 - blueboysixnine (09/07/2013) [-]
yes, and?
User avatar #192 to #191 - lostbutseeking (09/07/2013) [-]
i guess you should give the game a chance , that is all.
User avatar #196 to #186 - balaboo (09/07/2013) [-]
Why?
#127 - sirbutterballs (09/07/2013) [-]
Time to read the nerd rage.
Time to read the nerd rage.
User avatar #93 - rplix (09/07/2013) [-]
HL2 was a revolutionary game...and the source engine in general was a crazy concept back in early 2000's
User avatar #63 - darkangeloffire (09/07/2013) [-]
I played Half-Life 2 and while it was a great game..... I really think it's overrated. I mean it's a damn good game but not the god-tier pinnacle of holy awesomeness. Plus, I think Gordon Freeman really isn't a good character.
#66 to #63 - boothead (09/07/2013) [-]
>I think Gordon Freeman ins't really a good character

Alright you little **** you better have some reasons or splatter you further then Gabe Newells crater after re-entry.
User avatar #70 to #66 - darkangeloffire (09/07/2013) [-]
All right, let's see.

1: He isn't an immersive character. He's silent yet has a face and backstory which ruin the thought of "being" Gordon Freeman.

2: He's silent. He has no reason to be, and his interactions with other characters are boring and one-dimensional. As in the characters would be better simply talking to themselves.

3: He has no personality. He's just a man in a hazard suit with a beard, glasses, name, and crowbar. He's very bland and boring.

Hope that helps.
User avatar #71 to #70 - umaya (09/07/2013) [-]
Because YOU are Gordon Freeman, that's how some developers feel the game should be, they think if you hear yourself talk in another persons voice it wont feel like YOU are the one who is doing the adventuring, something along the lines of immersive role playing experience, some people like it, some devs like it, but so far a game hasn't really lost rating because of it. But I agree, sometimes it's annoying to have a blank character who you have no idea, all we know about him is black mesa scientist and crazy awesome at shooting things.
User avatar #74 to #71 - darkangeloffire (09/07/2013) [-]
Thank you for being civil. And yes, I can see the angle Valve was going for in Gordon Freeman. I just think, personally, it wasn't the best. I just never felt immersed. And if others did, good for them. I personally felt like I was just using Gordon and not being him. But hey, that's just me.
#73 to #71 - boothead (09/07/2013) [-]
This is me agreeing but disagreeing because Gordon Freeman is better then average Joe in the Marine Corp Shepherd banging his crew instead of saving the Universe
User avatar #72 to #63 - alexownz (09/07/2013) [-]
If you've played Episode 1 and 2, you would think other wise. The episodes really add on to the game, and episode 2 is miles better then than Half-Life 2 it self. Although Half-Life 1 is the best because its more immersive than half-life 2 even today with its ****** graphics because the Black Mesa Research Facility was honestly so well made that you actually felt like you were there.

tl;dr, Play the Half-Life 2 episodes if you havent, and Half-Life 1 is better then Half-Life 2 and the episodes.
User avatar #75 to #72 - darkangeloffire (09/07/2013) [-]
I've played some of Episode 1 and I do agree it's better story-wise. So far at least.
User avatar #76 to #75 - alexownz (09/07/2013) [-]
just for clarity when i said half-life 1 i meant the original not episode 1.
wasnt sure if that was clear enough after re-reading it
User avatar #78 to #76 - darkangeloffire (09/07/2013) [-]
I know what you meant. And I do need to play Half-Life 1 at some point. They're great games and I am probably missing out on a lot by not playing more that HL2 and part of HL2 episode 1.
User avatar #98 to #63 - CrowbarNinja (09/07/2013) [-]
Gordon freeman is a character developed like most game protagonists but is taken to more of an extreme. The point of his lack of voice is so you can give him one, it is a common thing in games.
User avatar #99 to #98 - CrowbarNinja (09/07/2013) [-]
**** , i just realized my profile pic sends off waves of bias.
User avatar #36 - bothemastaofall ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
>2 weapon limit
>used alternate realities in story, basically activating story telling god mode, then expecting players to be surprised
>srsly spoiler alert but if you were surprised at lizzie being your daughter or you being comstock you haven't ever seen a movie or any other form of media in your life.
>Honestly the devs practically told you what they were going to do when lizzie opened her first tear.
>plotholes. Why would a songbird in a different universe still be attracted to your elizibeth?
>insipid upgrade system combined with 2 weapon limit makes it so you can't use guns you upgrade for extended periods of gameplay
>generic guns with generic upgrades
>generic gun spawns are watered down with generic gun varients, further making it so you can't use the guns you upgrade.
>perks
>health regen

Yeah it was so much like half life 2
0
#39 to #36 - rhion has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #123 to #36 - PolarGhost (09/07/2013) [-]
Because carrying a pistol, shotgun, machine gun, and rocket launcher all at once makes sense.
User avatar #137 to #123 - arstya (09/07/2013) [-]
The point being made was that the upgrading system was pointless.
User avatar #145 to #123 - bothemastaofall ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
Who cares? It's a video game. In the first Bioshock you could carry all guns at once.
They dumbed down their game so they could copy every other game with a grizzled man on the cover with a gritty backstory.
I want the game to be fun, not copied from every other generic shooter.
BTW you are your own bad guy on a flying city I think we've suspended realism already
#189 to #36 - lolikikolik (09/07/2013) [-]
I liked Bioshock infinitive a lot, but the plot holes were terrible. I still quite dont understand the ending. Let your self get drowned so there is no more Comstock? but they said there are infinitive ammouns of realities, so what was that good for? Am I sou stupid, or Im missing something?
User avatar #211 to #189 - bothemastaofall ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
I dont think anybody knows. I think Ken Levine just wanted to have some completely out of place creepy surreal ending to copy ME3.
#105 to #36 - anon (09/07/2013) [-]
if ONLY they had made a button for text to LITERALLY HIDE SPOILERS. OH WAIT THEY DID YOU FILTHY PEASANT
User avatar #1 - FligFlag (09/06/2013) [-]
Couldn't agree more, such an overrated game. First game I have ever gave up on.
User avatar #4 to #1 - mrshrapnel (09/06/2013) [-]
then how can you judge a game without finishing it?
#7 to #4 - anon (09/06/2013) [-]
Gameplay, mechanics and story can all be judged without finishing easily
User avatar #8 to #7 - mrshrapnel (09/06/2013) [-]
Story cant, but still other than that you are kinda right, but i would still consider it a bad judgement
#23 to #8 - telamatoes (09/06/2013) [-]
Story can. If a story is so boring that you can't finish it, it's a bad story.
User avatar #16 to #4 - drainbramage (09/06/2013) [-]
If it's not good enough to grip you for long enough to finish it, you can judge it, games are made for entertainment, if it fails at entertaining you, it has failed.
User avatar #5 to #4 - milnerdk (09/06/2013) [-]
I agree with you. Its like stopping in the middle of sex like "naah not that good, i think ill just stop here" ... Not that ive ever tried it before
#81 to #1 - ohhitheree (09/07/2013) [-]
I agree, no where near as good as reviews made it out to be. It wasn't like it was a ****** game you couldn't stand playing, just one that is easy to gt bored of.
#38 to #1 - hopskotch (09/07/2013) [-]
Sounds like someone couldn't get passed Lady Comstock
User avatar #168 to #38 - FligFlag (09/07/2013) [-]
Haha, no I beat that hoe, but I gave up when you have to defend the power core thing which they stuck in the most stupid place.. And just got generally bored with the story line and repetitive game play.
#85 - poniesnstuff (09/07/2013) [-]
The person who wrote that would probaly love the game if it wasn't as popular.
The person who wrote that would probaly love the game if it wasn't as popular.
User avatar #128 to #85 - traelos (09/07/2013) [-]
Not if they played Bioshock 1.

Infinite was to Bioshock what Skyrim was to Elder Scrolls. Slightly worse, but hyped up beyond your imagination so that anything short of the best game ever seems lackluster.

It's funny to watch the divide about those games because the people who like them invariably never played the originals.

At least Skyrim made up for it with mods though...
User avatar #130 to #128 - greatgranpapy ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
So there's a conformation bias of sorts?
User avatar #135 to #130 - traelos (09/07/2013) [-]
More of the opposite.

People who played the originals were(are) very disappointed because it's not as good, people who didn't fall in love with the mechanics the series is based on.

I remember it took me 6 months to convince this kid to buy Oblivion after he played Skyrim and he came in one day and yelled at me because he had wasted $60 on Skyrim when he could have gotten Oblivion for $10 the entire time.
#136 to #85 - wheredahoodat (09/07/2013) [-]
Or, you know, he might just have wanted to make a joke.
User avatar #156 to #85 - theshadowed (09/07/2013) [-]
Or you know, they're allowed to have a different opinion. Don't act like a ******* 12 year old
#140 - zomitlu (09/07/2013) [-]
Half Life 2 and BioShock Infinite are still in my top 5 favourite games ever.
Half Life 2 and BioShock Infinite are still in my top 5 favourite games ever.
#174 - shishiko **User deleted account** (09/07/2013) [-]
To this day, I will never understand why people still revere Half Life 2 as some kind of masterpiece.   
   
Everything that /b/tard said was true.    
   
Hell I can't even remember the story from Half Life 2. Something about Breen being a bad guy or something.
To this day, I will never understand why people still revere Half Life 2 as some kind of masterpiece.

Everything that /b/tard said was true.

Hell I can't even remember the story from Half Life 2. Something about Breen being a bad guy or something.
User avatar #188 to #174 - alekksandar (09/07/2013) [-]
I agree. I enjoyed Half-Life 1 much more than Half-Life 2. I still do.
User avatar #220 to #174 - sexyhimself (09/08/2013) [-]
Breen has taken over the wordl using these combine soldier thingies and you have to stop him and it's like 30 years or something after HL 1 and Gordon just appears out of nowhere and **** . also, Alyx is hot
#142 - okthxbye **User deleted account** (09/07/2013) [-]
Awesome for its time, can still remember the tension when preloading it, and then waiting for the release. Played two hours before work that day and couldnt wait to get home.   
   
 At that time anyone had a maximum of three steamgames or something.
Awesome for its time, can still remember the tension when preloading it, and then waiting for the release. Played two hours before work that day and couldnt wait to get home.

At that time anyone had a maximum of three steamgames or something.
#19 - cloymax (09/06/2013) [-]
I loved the first half-life

hl2 was k
hl2ep1 was a disgrace
hl2ep2 was k

Bioshaq infinite was good.
User avatar #37 - stonermatt (09/07/2013) [-]
I played about 3 hours of Infinite, and then never touched it again....
User avatar #88 - dongers (09/07/2013) [-]
here's my opinion, and remember opinions are like assholes everyone has them, doesnt mean they are good
i dont really like bioshock it feels too story heavy, same reason i cant get into final fantasy and a bunch of other games, portal is like the perfect game to show how to do story in a game. You can play the game without listening to a word of the story, but you can just listen here and there as you go and you understand it fine.
User avatar #90 to #88 - doopleganger (09/07/2013) [-]
WELL WELL **** YOU AND you're actually respectable and reasonable opinion
User avatar #94 to #88 - weightedtemp (09/07/2013) [-]
everyone has one and they all stink
User avatar #106 to #88 - miia ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
my problem with bioshock is that the first game sucks so i feel no inclination to play any of the others.

Bioshock 1: Walk into room, encounter 20 splicers, kill them all, have 0 ammo, encounter big daddy, die, Vitol Chamber, run back to big daddy, hit him once with wrench, repeat from Vitol Chamber
User avatar #108 to #106 - vladhellsing (09/07/2013) [-]
It's not bad. You just suck.
#110 to #108 - miia ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
#112 to #111 - miia ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
#170 to #106 - Bloodgartham (09/07/2013) [-]
Haha, if that is how you played it, you just suck.
User avatar #194 to #170 - miia ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
No other way to play it
#195 to #194 - Bloodgartham (09/07/2013) [-]
Haha, I beat it in survivor, and even I didn't die so much ^^
Haha, I beat it in survivor, and even I didn't die so much ^^
User avatar #197 to #195 - miia ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
Must have played a different game, because every time I walked into a different room there were a ridiculous amount of splicers coming at me one by one
Bioshock could learn a lot from Dead Space
Having a horde of screaming retards run at you shouting things like "I SEE YOU" isnt scary, or fun
having a single corpse thats been twisted into something insane lumbering at you in a narrow hallway is scary, and fun...after you've killed it. Not to mention the fact that you actually have to try in Dead Space because you don't have a ****** vita chamber system that the devs through in because they couldnt be ****** to fix all the problems they had after beta testing
#198 to #197 - Bloodgartham (09/07/2013) [-]
Dude, wanna know why you didnt enjoy it? 'Cause it's not a horror game you dunce. It's a dark adventure. And I have all the Dead Space games at home, and you are trying to compare FiFa to Battlefield. They are 2 completly different genres.

And you complain about Vita Chambers? In Dead Space you have checkpoints every 10 seconds, and if you die, everything happens exacly like last time: The enemies don't move around to create new attack pattersn. Which I really didn't like. But if you don't like it, fair enough.
User avatar #200 to #198 - miia ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
Dark adventure isnt horror? ******** .
If they're not the same genre, then one is just a pussied-down version of the other made for little kids.
What genre it is doesn't matter anyway, the game still sucks and the devs were too lazy to actually fix the problems they had and instead made your character "immortal".
#205 to #200 - Bloodgartham (09/07/2013) [-]
Meh, you must be a troll. No one can be this retarded without doing it on purpose. Not your opinion, I mean the difference between "Dark Adventure" and "Horror".

Should have seen it earlier.
User avatar #107 to #106 - miia ONLINE (09/07/2013) [-]
AND THEN YOU WALK INTO THE NEXT ROOM AND ENCOUNTER 20 MORE SPLICERS
User avatar #160 - julenisse (09/07/2013) [-]
Bioshock deserved that more than half-life. ******* bioshock ruined old bioshock by being stupid. (If I can make an apple fly, why not a city, hurr durr)
User avatar #161 to #160 - mikeW (09/07/2013) [-]
You have a right to an opinion, but I believe Infinite was extremely well made. And I disagree.
User avatar #162 to #161 - julenisse (09/07/2013) [-]
Fair enough, but can I have an experienced opinion? I mean, so it doesn't float up in the sky and suddenly there's a whole bad shooting gallery on top of it!
User avatar #164 to #163 - julenisse (09/07/2013) [-]
I'm about 99% sure that arin would agree, wrong face yo!
+1
#185 to #164 - deergod **User deleted account** has deleted their comment [-]
#187 to #185 - julenisse (09/07/2013) [-]
I'm so angry I split into two shades of ghost, or something, maybe?
#165 to #164 - mikeW (09/07/2013) [-]
****		..
**** ..
User avatar #166 to #165 - julenisse (09/07/2013) [-]
Play Virtue's Last Reward(3DS, Vita) And come back and say Bioshock is a "good" game
User avatar #167 to #166 - mikeW (09/07/2013) [-]
I don't need to play another game to change my opinion. A lot of people love Bioshock Infinite, and that will never change.
User avatar #169 to #167 - julenisse (09/07/2013) [-]
Well, what if that game is that good? It shows how thinly veiled the facade of Bioshock truly is, and ridicules the whole story. Bioshock 1 and even 2 are much better games, because they have a smart story, not just "things fly, hey a multiverse!"
User avatar #173 to #169 - mikeW (09/07/2013) [-]
And I'm not going to disagree that the game you mentioned is a great game, unfortunately, I have neither of the systems.
User avatar #176 to #173 - julenisse (09/07/2013) [-]
If you want something that truly makes your jaw drop, that game is worth 160$, easily! So keep it in the back of your head, and maybe one day, pick it up. It's one of the few games that treats you like a real person!
User avatar #177 to #176 - mikeW (09/07/2013) [-]
I will definitely try it out one day, and thanks for the recommendation. For now, I must say farewell. Thanks for not being a gigantic douche bag about our argument. Stay classy!
User avatar #178 to #177 - julenisse (09/07/2013) [-]
I only love games and want to discuss their goodness in the presence of our lord and saviour, Arin.
User avatar #171 to #169 - mikeW (09/07/2013) [-]
Bioshock has always had an amazing story behind the immaculate game play it has to offer. There has always been a twist that make players drop their jaws as well. But in a way, I can agree with you of how people may view Infinite as a "thinly veiled facade".
User avatar #172 to #171 - julenisse (09/07/2013) [-]
I agree so much, for the first and second. But if you learn just a little bit of the things they talk about in infinite, you'll know exactly where it's going. I wanted this game to be good, but it's the best example on how videogames are evolving wrong
User avatar #175 to #172 - mikeW (09/07/2013) [-]
I guess in a way that it hints at what the conclusion of the story is going to be, but you have to agree a lot of the fans were blown away by it.
User avatar #179 to #175 - julenisse (09/07/2013) [-]
Of course I agree, it's just... the explosion was very small for me, like a... puff! And seeing all the jaws drop so easy, makes my job easier I guess...
[ 218 comments ]
Leave a comment
 Friends (0)