Baby Steps, America. Baby Steps, America isfunny.net/every-time-i-shower/. Alejandro Cross Hey Americans now that you realized you like soccer, let me tell you  funny
x
Click to expand

Baby Steps, America

Tags: funny
Alejandro Cross
Hey Americans now that you
realized you like soccer, let me tell
you about this other really
awesome thing called "the metric
system".
21/ 07/ 1415: 50
5. 1335 RETWEETS 2. 504
...
  • Recommend tagsx
+960
Views: 32181
Favorited: 30
Submitted: 07/18/2014
Share On Facebook
Add to favorites Subscribe to picsfunny submit to reddit

Comments(442):

[ 442 comments ]
What do you think? Give us your opinion. Anonymous comments allowed.
#261 - tiberioustyphr (07/19/2014) [-]
Americans don't like Soccer, we like winning.   
When we win a game of Metric System, give us a call again.
Americans don't like Soccer, we like winning.
When we win a game of Metric System, give us a call again.
0
#279 to #261 - xjiicx has deleted their comment [-]
#297 to #261 - sinconn (07/19/2014) [-]
Soccer is sissy sport meant for limp wristed Europeans.
Soccer is sissy sport meant for limp wristed Europeans.
#301 to #261 - detoxpain ONLINE (07/19/2014) [-]
Comment Picture
#214 - truesmokewolf (07/19/2014) [-]
MFW most Americans understand metric but prefer customary/imperial measurements because they teach us both in school while only metric is accepted in college and the higher sciences (Physical Science/Chemistry/Physics).
MFW most Americans understand metric but prefer customary/imperial measurements because they teach us both in school while only metric is accepted in college and the higher sciences (Physical Science/Chemistry/Physics).
#153 - foxranger (07/19/2014) [-]
We'll never switch to the commie system!!
#155 to #153 - zielscheibe (07/19/2014) [-]
>Obama in office and charge
>Never switch to commie systems

pick one

and pick metric system for **** sake - it is good stuff

#157 to #155 - foxranger (07/19/2014) [-]
Obama is a commie punk. Thank god for congress! (that was a joke)
#158 to #157 - zielscheibe (07/19/2014) [-]
It's FJ - thats the right place for jokes ... i guess
It's FJ - thats the right place for jokes ... i guess
#170 to #158 - foxranger (07/19/2014) [-]
Idk man, the worlds a changin.
Idk man, the worlds a changin.
#178 to #170 - zielscheibe (07/19/2014) [-]
Change is natural - so yeah we just gotta play the hand we are dealt with
Change is natural - so yeah we just gotta play the hand we are dealt with
#348 to #178 - foxranger (07/19/2014) [-]
True true
#26 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
When will you Europeans figure out that all Americans are taught both systems. We use Imperial for everyday things that don't require calculations, and we use metric (mostly) for science.

According to Europeans, we are stupid because we know two systems. I guess Bi-linguals are stupid too. Why don't they just learn English and nothing else?
#174 to #26 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
well, everyone i know I ask about cm instead of foot or inches and they are like: hurr durr I dont know you come here and you dont know that what you expect blablabla
its a bit pathetic, but well....
#189 to #26 - implicationsofcrap (07/19/2014) [-]
Atleast we know how to use it.
User avatar #101 to #26 - envinite (07/19/2014) [-]
Wow, because everyone that criticize Americans are always Europeans? Suuuure.

And how many American exactly know well using metric system? Sure they ever heard of metric and may be learn about it in school. But from my experience talking to American, most of them don't know **** about using metric measurement.
User avatar #417 to #101 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
The only ones that criticize the US are Europeans or wanna be Europeans (aka Argentina).
User avatar #277 to #101 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
Well I know plenty considering I am an Engineer.
#103 to #26 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
That's ******** . If you asked 50 average Americans on the street what a metre or a kilometre is, all 50 would be completely clueless.
User avatar #294 to #103 - nigeltheoutlaw (07/19/2014) [-]
I'm sure you've based that on an actual study, and not off of your stupid presumptions about Americans, right faggot?
User avatar #416 to #103 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
mostly because it is spelled meter.
User avatar #91 to #26 - zwaxor (07/19/2014) [-]
Wowowowowowowow, way to twist your own words there.

You can't open by saying that Europeans don't know you're being taught both, and then pick on them for thinking you're dumb despite knowing that you're being taught two systems. That's not how those things work, m8.
#92 to #26 - hazelnutqt (07/19/2014) [-]
Sitting with an american right now
She doesn't know the metric
User avatar #93 to #26 - nustix (07/19/2014) [-]
That's so inconvienient, and I doubt you can use them interchangibly in everyday live.
User avatar #409 to #93 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
Yes, it is; no, most of us can't.
User avatar #424 to #409 - nustix (07/19/2014) [-]
What's the point of being bilingual when you can only talk about certain subjects in one and certain subjects in other. That's worse than being monolingual.
User avatar #442 to #424 - apurpleliger (07/20/2014) [-]
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely.
#142 to #26 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
so the intelligent scientists use metric but the common day folk use imperial
#218 to #26 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
It takes very little effort to learn both, it's just impractical and stupid to not use the same measurements for everything
#240 to #26 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
everyone knows the two, they are not hard to learn at all. the difference is the usage, my friends have no idea how to estimate the weight of a kilogram or the distance in meters even though a meter is almost the same as a yard
User avatar #138 to #26 - coolalliki (07/19/2014) [-]
-"Let's teach the kids two different ways to measure things. One for in their daily lives and one for science and calculations and whatnot! But the one for their daily lives is... guys listen up... the one for their daily lives is something no other person on this earth uses."
-"Wouldn't it be easier to learn just one? The one everyone uses and just use it for everything?"
-"No that's stupid."

You're proud of 'knowing' (which everyone here doubts) two systems, but you don't realize you're complicating things big time. It's so. ******* . Stupid.
User avatar #276 to #138 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
Most people on Earth speak Chinese as either a first or second language. I guess we should abolish all other languages, and all other cultures too. Wouldn't it be nice if we were all the same?
User avatar #411 to #276 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
So let's say that Chinese was a very efficient language that all but maybe three countries in the world didn't use. And let's say that the remaining countries use a rather convoluted language with arbitrarily chosen methods of speaking. Then yes, the last three countries should change to speaking Chinese because it would be stupid not to. Your argument as it stands however, does not quite fit under that because there are quite a few different "mainstream" languages and it's not like most of the world speaks just one of those.
User avatar #412 to #411 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
Doing things because most people do things is a pretty stupid reason.
User avatar #413 to #412 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
What about doing things because they're clearly much better alternatives with no downsides?
User avatar #415 to #413 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
What problems do having road signs in miles, and having the temp in Fahrenheit of the news cause? British people still weigh people in stones.
User avatar #418 to #415 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
They're just not logical methods of measurement. The distance of a mile is just arbitrarily chosen in relation to feet or yards. At least the metric system works in base ten where everything is just ten times the previous level of measurement, instead of 12, then 3, then 1760. There isn't anything inherently bad about the imperial system, but the metric system is just so much more effective, and the fact that we're basically forcing people to learn two systems instead of one if they want to work with anyone outside of the US is just silly.
User avatar #419 to #418 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
The only reason 10 makes sense is because we use the decimal system. For the modern age hexadecimal is more logical because it works with computers better (32 bit, 64 bit etc.). Does that mean we should switch how we count, and change the metric system to work in factors of 16 too?
User avatar #421 to #419 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
It'd be better than sticking to the arbitrarily defined imperial system, if that's what you're wanting to hear.
User avatar #423 to #421 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
But the decimal system is defined by the number of finger we have. The imperial system in based on lengths of certain body parts. And things like how a mile was decided to be 5280 ft have significance to them. A 2000 year old system is not arbitrary.
User avatar #443 to #423 - apurpleliger (07/20/2014) [-]
Just because there's reasoning behind it (read: excuses) doesn't mean that it's a logical system. An Acre is roughly 43,000 square feet. I'm sure someone had a decent reason to call that amount of land an acre, but that doesn't mean that it's a logical step. There's so many more conversions you need to know in the imperial system just to use the imperial system. It's not efficient. The only conversions you need to use in the metric system are powers of 10.

Also, it's the lengths of specific people's body parts. I can't just take 13 steps heel to toe and say that's 13 feet. The only thing arbitrarily chosen in the metric system is the length of a meter, but then from there it's either 10x up or 10x down to get to the next one. Not 12, then 3, then 1760.

Counting is something that everyone does the same way. And there aren't any intricacies with counting; There are 100 numbers from 1-100, and 100 numbers from 101-200. We don't make it take 176 numbers to get from 100-200, do we? Measurements should similarly be done in a logical, globally accepted way.
User avatar #160 to #138 - kameken (07/19/2014) [-]
Shouldn't we all just speak chinese, since it's the most common language?
User avatar #410 to #160 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
So let's say that Chinese was a very efficient language that all but maybe three countries in the world didn't use. And let's say that the remaining countries use a rather convoluted language with arbitrarily chosen methods of speaking. Then yes, the last three countries should change to speaking Chinese because it would be stupid not to. Your argument as it stands however, does not quite fit under that because there are quite a few different "mainstream" languages and it's not like most of the world speaks just one of those.
User avatar #444 to #410 - kameken (07/20/2014) [-]
Being able to communicate is much more important than having the same measurements, and it's harder to translate words than measurements. A meter is always about 3.3 feet, but one word can have multiple meanings depending on how it's used.
User avatar #31 to #26 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
"Taught" two systems. As in we use the metric system in calculations. I don't know a single American person who can guestimate a person's height in meters as well as they can in feet. I know that 240 kph is approximately 150 mph, and even then that's just because it says so in the cars. Most Americans have no idea how much distance a kilometer covers. How many Americans ever use Celsius outside of chemistry?
User avatar #89 to #31 - tavafanduvill (07/19/2014) [-]
Who the hell uses Celsius in chemistry? Ever heard of Kelvin?
User avatar #122 to #89 - ieatbengay (07/19/2014) [-]
kelvin is based on celsius though
User avatar #398 to #89 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
Kelvin is just Celsius without negatives, they're still the same scale.
User avatar #202 to #89 - mutzaki (07/19/2014) [-]
Chemistry teacher: "Okay, we want to boil this water. Water starts boiling at 100 Celsius 373,15 Kelvin."
User avatar #63 to #31 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
I think all Americans know how much distance a kilometer covers.

1000 meters
User avatar #401 to #63 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
oh thanks
User avatar #203 to #63 - chuckey (07/19/2014) [-]
i always think of it as 2 and a half track fields

1 lap=400 meters
#32 to #31 - bausch (07/19/2014) [-]
When will you Europeans figure out that all Americans are taught both systems. We use Imperial for everyday things that don't require calculations, and we use metric (mostly) for science.
#33 to #32 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
I'm sorry, but did the "we" not clue you in? I'M AN AMERICAN. I'm saying this because I am a natural born American citizen who has lived in, and gone to school in, America for almost 20 years. We aren't taught them both in the same way. We aren't taught metric in a way that we can use it interchangeably with imperial. We're taught how to use it in scientific calculations, but most of us have no idea to use it in everyday life. We aren't taught them. We don't know two systems like someone who is bilingual knows two languages. We know the imperial system about as well as most people know Spanish; that is to say most of us can count in it some and maybe ask where the bathroom is. Even then we're taught more about Spanish than we are about the metric system.
#74 to #33 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
"We use Imperial for everyday things that don't require calculations"
User avatar #402 to #74 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
because we aren't familiar enough with metric to use it in that way
User avatar #64 to #33 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
Maybe in Texas. But in New York I was taught much more about the metric system then I was about Spanish.
User avatar #406 to #64 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
Maybe Spanish is a southern thing, but do you have whole classes dedicated to the metric system? Can you take four years of "metric" classes in order to become more or less "fluent" in its usage? We don't have to talk about Spanish specifically, foreign language classes in general can be substituted. We have foreign language classes, but we don't have classes dedicated to learn about the metric system. We only actually learn about the metric system as a secondary objective of our science classes.
User avatar #414 to #406 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
Practically every problem I did in my two years of AP physics in high school was in metric. All of chem is in metric. But physics really makes the difference, because you start to visualize what a kg, or what a kilometer is.
User avatar #420 to #414 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
And that doesn't happen til the last two years of highschool and even then it's only in two classes at most. You can't "fluently" use the metric system after learning about it in 4 (more like 2 since chemistry doesn't introduce much knowledge of the metric system that can be used outside of chemistry classes or that isn't already taught in physics) classes that aren't even primarily focused on teaching the metric system.

Following the original argument, we can't use metric nearly as well as we can use imperial. And there's no reason that we should be using imperial when metric is available.
User avatar #422 to #420 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
Do you know how much it would cost to change everything? Do you want to pay that? I think was we have is just fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
#41 to #33 - bausch (07/19/2014) [-]
in hindsight that reply was poorly done. I was quoting the thread OP trying to point out that all you did was reiterate exactly what he said.

""Taught" two systems. As in we use the metric system in calculations. I don't know a single American person who can guestimate a person's height in meters as well as they can in feet. I know that 240 kph is approximately 150 mph, and even then that's just because it says so in the cars. Most Americans have no idea how much distance a kilometer covers. How many Americans ever use Celsius outside of chemistry? "

says literally the exact same thing as
" When will you Europeans figure out that all Americans are taught both systems. We use Imperial for everyday things that don't require calculations, and we use metric (mostly) for science. "

also, in your reply to my comment you say "We know the imperial system about as well as most people know Spanish" . You meant to say metric right?

And your argument of there being a difference between being bilingual and having only "scientific" (I dont really have another way of saying this but you get my point) knowledge is total ******** . By that logic a "bilingual" person isn't bilingual unless they know the slang in both languages they speak.

Final remark, Congratz you're showing off being an american. To an american.
#68 to #41 - terminalinfinity (07/19/2014) [-]
Your logic is the equivliant of "why do people who speak spanish only speak spanish to other people who speak spanish?" Its because its common courtesy to speak in a language that everyone who's listening can understand. Of course you'd speak in Fahrenheit in America, because there are some people who don't understand Celsius.

But I can quickly covert centimeters to inches, kilometers to miles, liters to gallons, etc. Just because I dont use it all the time, doesnt mean Im not proficient at it.
User avatar #407 to #68 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
I'm not sure if you were arguing against me or for me, but here are some comments on your post in relation to my argument.

"there are some people who don't understand Celsius."
This partially sums up my primary argument, that Americans cannot use the metric system as well as we can use the imperial system.

"But I can quickly covert centimeters to inches, kilometers to miles, liters to gallons, etc. Just because I dont use it all the time, doesnt mean Im not proficient at it."
There are a lot of people who can convert it and use both well enough, but we still have to do that conversion to have an idea of what the measurement is. For example, Americans who are traveling abroad may be able to see a sign saying "such and such in 170km" and be able to convert it to ~106 miles and have an idea of how long that is. But most of us can't just see 170km and have an understanding of how far that is without converting it to miles first.
User avatar #405 to #41 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
My understanding of the original comment was that he was implying we could use metric as well as imperial, and I was arguing that we aren't taught both systems equally. We are taught enough about metric to use calculations with it and to know a few basic measurements in it. We use it mostly for science because most of us aren't familiar enough with it to use it for everyday stuff like the rest of the world.

Yes, I did mean to say metric.

And I'm not seeing where my logic said that. There's no slang in the definition of bilingual. If you can fluently two languages you're considered bilingual. Most of us can't "fluently" use the metric system. There's no slang. There's "practical usage" where you can use it "well enough" to say that you understand it, but that doesn't mean that you can use it interchangeably. Most of us Americans have "practical usage" of the metric system but we are not familiar enough to have no problems if we were to suddenly convert to the metric system tomorrow.
User avatar #291 to #33 - nigeltheoutlaw (07/19/2014) [-]
Speak for yourself. I was taught the metric system quite well.
#47 to #32 - someoneforamoment (07/19/2014) [-]
How many Americans are scientists? I believe that's checkmate.
#65 to #47 - terminalinfinity (07/19/2014) [-]
The United States has more educational facilities, more research facilities, and therefore more scientists than any country in the world.

www.webometrics.info/en/node/54

The US has the most universities in the top 10 as well.

Checkmate indeed.
User avatar #154 to #65 - internetexplain (07/19/2014) [-]
that's not hard being the most populated country in the west.
#67 to #65 - someoneforamoment (07/19/2014) [-]
Good to see that you make sure all of your citizens are scientists. Or was that your point? How many Americans would you say are NOT scientists?
#71 to #67 - someoneforamoment (07/19/2014) [-]
I'm going to bed now so you have plenty of time to come up with a flawless argument. But based on your current line of thought I can guess as to what my counterargument will be.
#77 to #71 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
It isn't flawless, because what you just did is something we call "moving the goalposts". Therefore, your argument is invalid and you no longer have any credibility on this subject.
#435 to #77 - someoneforamoment (07/20/2014) [-]
Moving the goalpost? You arguments hinge on the fact that there are a lot of American scientists without taking into consideration how many Americans are scientists. That is straying a bit from my original statement that Americans generally are unfamiliar with the metric system; but you said that Americans do use science, but mostly for science. I'm merely trying to establish that a significant portion of Americans do not do science, and would purge memory of the metric system shortly after high school.
#50 to #31 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
thats becuase we dont need to know it
User avatar #259 to #31 - sharklazers (07/19/2014) [-]
i'm american and a kilometer is 1000meters and 0.6 miles.
User avatar #395 to #259 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
Could you look at someone and accurately tell them how many meters tall they are? Sure we're taught in school that kilo-anything means 1000 of that anything, and you may know the conversion factor, but that doesn't mean that most people can actually use them interchangeably.
User avatar #397 to #395 - sharklazers (07/19/2014) [-]
yeah, sure I could.
User avatar #400 to #397 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
Well then you're one of few, because the majority of Americans cannot use the metric system as well as they can use imperial
#166 to #31 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
You must not have met many Amerricans then..most of my friends can use metric and imperial measurements interchangebly. Come to the NW!
User avatar #408 to #166 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
Do you and your friends have an understanding of distance or volume in metric without first having to convert it to imperial? Can you see a sign saying something is 170km away and understand how far that is without first converting it to miles?
User avatar #425 to #408 - damping (07/19/2014) [-]
volume is pretty basic. 2 liters man.

And because when I see KM i know that there are 1.6 km in a mile doesn't mean I don't know metric. When you are speaking a different language you think about English first, then convert it. Doesn't mean you don't know Spanish.
User avatar #441 to #425 - apurpleliger (07/20/2014) [-]
You do if that becomes the primary language that you use. Which is what should happen with the metric system.
User avatar #399 to #166 - apurpleliger (07/19/2014) [-]
Considering I've lived my entire life in America...
User avatar #111 - whtkid ONLINE (07/19/2014) [-]
> Attempts to call out America on using the metric system
> Calls it Soccer

***** you gotta get yourself in order first before telling others what to do
User avatar #236 to #111 - namnori (07/19/2014) [-]
Some non-americans call it soccer like myself because it's a legit name for the sport. It was called soccer before America became independent.
User avatar #1 - peanutsaurusrex (07/18/2014) [-]
i dont think that this guy gets that americans only care about soccer to win the world cup
#3 to #1 - anon (07/18/2014) [-]
"We entered the FIFA world cup competition, but we aren't trying to win"

-no country ever
#5 to #3 - anon (07/18/2014) [-]
No one here doesnt care for the sport itself. We only care about winning. duh
User avatar #4 to #3 - peanutsaurusrex (07/18/2014) [-]
you missed the point you dumbass anon
User avatar #75 to #3 - adrilazzaro (07/19/2014) [-]
eh i'd say scotland would be happy to not get knocked out in group stages
User avatar #199 - skypatrol (07/19/2014) [-]
ITT everyone is jealous of merica, and thumbs down to everyone who shows pride in the moon landing
User avatar #201 to #199 - mutzaki (07/19/2014) [-]
If that's what you want to believe to sleep easier at night, sure.
User avatar #217 to #201 - mangostormlegend (07/19/2014) [-]
There is a retroreflector...
on the moon...
that the Apollo 17 crew left...
that a laser can be shone on...
that will be reflected back...
that undeniably proves that there really was a moon landing.
User avatar #250 to #217 - mutzaki (07/19/2014) [-]
Oh, I didn't mean anything like that. I was referring to you believing that everyone is jealous of America.
User avatar #382 to #250 - mangostormlegend (07/19/2014) [-]
In what part of my reply did I say that I am jealous of America?
User avatar #387 to #382 - mutzaki (07/19/2014) [-]
Oh, sorry, I thought you were the same guy.
#114 - onanu (07/19/2014) [-]
User avatar #225 to #114 - bestfoxgirl (07/19/2014) [-]
Given that USA is controlled by Jews, it would be logical for USA to listen to them...
User avatar #128 to #114 - freshpound (07/19/2014) [-]
It should be year/month/day really though.
User avatar #146 to #128 - arguemango (07/19/2014) [-]
But we write it like we speak it
User avatar #159 to #146 - freshpound (07/19/2014) [-]
"Nineteen slash zero seven slash two thousand and fourteen." Is not how we say it.
"2014, July the 19th." Would make sense and also in logical order.
"The 19th of July, 2014." Makes sense but is in illogical order.
User avatar #163 to #159 - arguemango (07/19/2014) [-]
Thats not what i meant
User avatar #167 to #163 - freshpound (07/19/2014) [-]
Who is we? How do you say it? Some people put the day first some people put the month first, people rarely add the year. Since many already say "July the 19th" I don't see how it's a problem.
User avatar #168 to #167 - arguemango (07/19/2014) [-]
I hear most people say July 19th. Thats how americans would normally write it too.
User avatar #171 to #168 - freshpound (07/19/2014) [-]
Yes, that still follows the logical order (yyyy/mm/dd). Where's the problem?
User avatar #172 to #171 - arguemango (07/19/2014) [-]
Well americans say July 19, 2014 and write it like this not (yy/mm/dd)
User avatar #176 to #172 - freshpound (07/19/2014) [-]
Right but yyyy/mm/dd is still the most logical way to write (and say) the date.
User avatar #177 to #176 - arguemango (07/19/2014) [-]
I'm not saying its not logical, but the way Americans say it isn't wrong either, only because this way is easier to say
User avatar #180 to #177 - freshpound (07/19/2014) [-]
Nonono.
"2014, July the 14th" Is just as easy as...
"July the 14th, 2014". Both have exactly the same amount of syllables.
Using mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS is just as 'wrong' as using HH:mm:SS/yyyy/MM:dd. Neither follow any sort of logic. yyyy/mm/dd HH:MM:SS is in perfect order.
User avatar #181 to #180 - arguemango (07/19/2014) [-]
Just because it has the same syllables doesnt make it as easy to say. One rolls off the tongue easiier than the other
User avatar #185 to #181 - freshpound (07/19/2014) [-]
Only because you've used it your whole life. Here in the UK most people will say "14th of July, 2014" and I'm sure they would make the same complaint about your way of doing things.
User avatar #187 to #185 - arguemango (07/19/2014) [-]
Using it all your life means your used to saying it as a reflex, still doesnt make it easier to say it just makes it difficult to remember to say it a certain way
User avatar #190 to #187 - freshpound (07/19/2014) [-]
You would develop the same reflex whichever way you learn to say the date. It would only be a problem for the people currently using the deprecated system, that's why America is still using imperial despite it's inferiority. You have to think about the future, one generation of people having to retrain themselves to use another system is worth it in the long run.
User avatar #156 to #146 - internetexplain (07/19/2014) [-]
if "we" refers to americans , you don't, you're doing the exact opposite.

in the imperial system you write Month/Day/Year , and speak it Day/Month/Year (when written out) so why not just change to the proper measurement system right away?
User avatar #165 to #156 - freshpound (07/19/2014) [-]
mm/dd/yyyy < dd/mm/yyyy < yyyy/mm/dd
User avatar #161 to #156 - arguemango (07/19/2014) [-]
Most people in america will say July 19, 2014 not 19 of july
User avatar #169 to #161 - internetexplain (07/19/2014) [-]
apparently, a small portion is now called " most people " because all the amerifags I've seen so far , spoke it just like in the metric system , I've seen a few couple thousands already from all over the place, I'd say enough to be representative.
User avatar #21 - LifeIsADisease (07/19/2014) [-]
Jesus Christ, not this again.
User avatar #22 to #21 - durkadurka (07/19/2014) [-]
"My arbitrary system of measurement is better than your arbitrary system of measurement!"
User avatar #24 to #22 - LifeIsADisease (07/19/2014) [-]
Yeah well my arbitrary system of measurement is better than your arbitrary system of measurement because of several arbitrary reasons, get with the arbitrary times jeez.
#37 - lordraine ONLINE (07/19/2014) [-]
We did better than you at the Soccer World Cup.

That means you have to call it soccer now.
#81 to #37 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
I think they did, in this image lol
#98 to #37 - breekibree (07/19/2014) [-]
But we won. So everyone has to call it Fussball now.
User avatar #102 to #98 - blokrokker (07/19/2014) [-]
I'm okay with calling it Fußball
#162 to #37 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
Because you didn't face England in the cup, and because you lost you have to call it football
#105 to #37 - stefanovic ONLINE (07/19/2014) [-]
And we won against you, guess you have to call it voetbal now.
#106 to #105 - lordraine ONLINE (07/19/2014) [-]
And you're about to get conquered by Russia. Let us know when we have to come save you.
User avatar #133 to #106 - listerthepessimist (07/19/2014) [-]
like you'd stand a chance against russia
#140 to #133 - lordraine ONLINE (07/19/2014) [-]
We'd stand a better chance than you. Or have you already forgotten what happened last time?
User avatar #314 to #140 - listerthepessimist (07/19/2014) [-]
i didn't say you wouldn't

grats for nam btw
#151 to #140 - zielscheibe (07/19/2014) [-]
DA ! Tell us most of glorious story's  what happend.   
But tell it right , Towarisch   
   
Great and powerfull Soviet Union destoyer of fascism  devils !   
It stomped all enemy's  and took Berlin in most of honor ever to be.   
While U.S of A still faught against beat up Nazi leftovers that ran away from mighty    
slavic  forces of red army. Too the U.S of A more than a year to conquer  the same amount of land  the mighty UdSSR  gained in one charge after the weeks of battle of Kursk.    
   
Only the feared Patton was much of a fighter. He would have made a good enemy as he wanted to fight the motherland.   
Yet  the U.S of A did fear power of  glorious Red Army  !    
   
Until the blackest of years 1989  U.S of A was haunted by reddest of nightmares.   
Foolishly they think of  Russia dead or weak of country now.   
Much mislead   
Power of Russia is like power of great  Siberian Brown Bear on battle drugs.   
Better be of much respect americans    
   
If Nazi fascist devisl not of able to crush the power of Russia    
What does the now  rotten and flawed U.S of A think it has of chances to stand ?   
   
Face it  Towarish - War with Russia means new russian colonies in the U.S of A nothing more or less.  Better not  do that . would be much of work rebuild U.S of A afterwards.... looking at the city's of Detroit or such  it already is much of work.   
   
Better get going rebuilt own city's before messing with other nations    
Have nicest of day's Towarisch
DA ! Tell us most of glorious story's what happend.
But tell it right , Towarisch

Great and powerfull Soviet Union destoyer of fascism devils !
It stomped all enemy's and took Berlin in most of honor ever to be.
While U.S of A still faught against beat up Nazi leftovers that ran away from mighty
slavic forces of red army. Too the U.S of A more than a year to conquer the same amount of land the mighty UdSSR gained in one charge after the weeks of battle of Kursk.

Only the feared Patton was much of a fighter. He would have made a good enemy as he wanted to fight the motherland.
Yet the U.S of A did fear power of glorious Red Army !

Until the blackest of years 1989 U.S of A was haunted by reddest of nightmares.
Foolishly they think of Russia dead or weak of country now.
Much mislead
Power of Russia is like power of great Siberian Brown Bear on battle drugs.
Better be of much respect americans

If Nazi fascist devisl not of able to crush the power of Russia
What does the now rotten and flawed U.S of A think it has of chances to stand ?

Face it Towarish - War with Russia means new russian colonies in the U.S of A nothing more or less. Better not do that . would be much of work rebuild U.S of A afterwards.... looking at the city's of Detroit or such it already is much of work.

Better get going rebuilt own city's before messing with other nations
Have nicest of day's Towarisch
User avatar #373 to #151 - meganinja (07/19/2014) [-]
In a ground war, the Americans will have casualties roughly equal to Russia's. The USA will have air superiority to compensate for Russia's defensive advantage. The USA has the ability to hit Russia from the West, East, North, and South with assistance from allies. Russia, if they could even reach America, could only attack from the East and West, unless it wants to also invade Canada or Mexico, because neither would actually allow Russian forces to go through if USA and Russia were at war. So while Russia's fighting off American forces approaching Volovograd being supplied by Turkey, forces approaching Moscow being supplied by Europe, and already besieging/taken St. Petersburg from Scandinavia, You've already lost Vladivostock and Americans are running rampant through the Eastern part of your country unchecked. The USA can successfully blockade Russia from every direction but from the South. And who would help Russia? Certainly not China. China's loving all the business that the USA gives it, and China's main policies in recent years have reflected a stance on isolationism, and a stance of economic growth over all else. China would be busy selling war materials to the USA for big bucks, and they'd be loving it. No other country would either be willing or able to send supplies over except for maybe Iran. Most of your population is in the West, near Europe. Once Moscow is gone it's over. GG. But America treats their enemies better than Russia does. America will actually give the land back to Russia, maybe a few chunks to neighboring countries though. They'll probably even help Russia build up an economy too afterwards, so you should be grateful after you lose.
#426 to #373 - zielscheibe (07/19/2014) [-]
Good thinking comrade !

Yet we have heard of same things from Nazi Germany 1941
> Russia so weak - it's military is not good enough no support
> once we reach Moskau it is all over , we are back home before christmas.
> Russias economy is down and we have way better income
> ... 1945 , Red army is taking Berlin after burning down all our stuff, dreams and hopes- we did nazi that coming mein Führer - End of story

U.S. of A would have good of chances if not for all the war it already is of doing around all the world. If you think they have the power of doings a full out war with Russia whilst fighting half of the arab world and beeing *hated* by almost every other nation + beeing of highest of depts in history of U.S. of A .

Dont think everything is of going to be as you have stated towarish. And dont count to much on turky just of saying.
User avatar #427 to #426 - meganinja (07/19/2014) [-]
Yeah but Germany had half of the Soviet's population, not twice of it's population, and was also fighting on many other fronts. The USA is in a position against Russia like the Soviet Union was against Germany, except if the Soviet Union were the richer country. The USA's commitments to its current wars are negligible, and the only valid points you've made are the war won't actually be over when Moscow's taken, and that maybe some countries wouldn't be willing to help out, even as just a staging base. But a lot of countries hate Russia even more and if America promises some land afterwards I'm sure they'd help out.
#429 to #427 - zielscheibe (07/19/2014) [-]
Da ! It is different of matches now against the U.S of A
But all the deals that are offered by the U.S. of A could be offered by Russia as well if it comes down to land and power.

If you think that of fightings in the middle east or others of nations is negligible ... well thats good for the motherland.

Ahhh i am running out of russian ideas you brought me to the limit of my inner Ivan dude . Still you brought up some good points and ideas - Will have to think about those in time. For the current situation in Ukraine or Israel give me some stuff to think about.

So have a nice day mate , was fun talking to a well educated american that knows his **** if it comes down to it.

User avatar #350 to #151 - meganinja (07/19/2014) [-]
Lol. Lemme hit ya with a few facts, champ.

1) You defeated Germany with superior numbers. That was the number 1 asset that Russia brought to the war. The only other good thing about Russia was once you got the T34 it was actually a good tank. You were inferior in all other ways to the Germans, but because your forces were almost 3 times larger than all of what Germany had, and only on one front compared to Germany's multiple fronts, you were able to win your front even after MASSIVE casualties. Infact, the Soviet Union lost more soldiers than Germany even had deployed during the entire war. And it's not like Germany lost all their soldiers to the USSR either. German losses came from multiple fronts at multiple times, and many of those deployed went home without being killed OR injured.

2) Russia has 143 million people. The USA has 314 million. If you can't do math that's about 2.2 people the USA has for every 1 that Russia has. The USSR's population in 1940 was about 170 million, which varies depending on the source you use, and Germany's population was about 80 million in 1939 according to an official Nazi census. Again using the math that's about 2.1 million Soviets for each German. So the numerical advantage the Soviets had over the Germans is less than what the USA has over Russia, although not by very much.

3) Russia's GDP is about $2 trillion. USA's GDP is about $16 trillion. The USA's economy is 8 times stronger, with a larger industrial base than Russia has. The USA for the most part has the better tech, and better means of producing it, although I wouldn't go as far to say the difference is similar to that between USSR and Germany during WWII, so it's slightly less of a factor, but it still is one to some extent. In ground combat Russian troops are probably on equal or near equal terms with the Americans, but in Air combat the USA takes the cake easily. Russia has good planes but the USA has many, many more.
#428 to #350 - zielscheibe (07/19/2014) [-]
Not to bad of lels

1) So what it worked and it will of work again. Will of people of the Motherland is 100 times as strong as of softened and sometimes very overwight citizen of U.S. of A.

2) If child cant survive the cold winters of mother russia and some starving times or life giving him tough **** - it aint good enough to be of russian class. That is why U.S. of A citizen cant compare to slavic people.
And do not of forgett that there are plenty of russians all around europe - they will answer the call of the Rodina if times is of need.

3) This is of bad thinking. All this point is of making is that you think that money does count so big in worst of happenings. Leaving out the fact that U.S. of A 's economy is more broken than the moral code of the high buisness man in charge.
If in need - Mother Russia will rebuild tanks out of old pans well welded together.
Is of thinking like the T 34 - it does not need much money or extra suffs it just needs to kill the enemy's of the motherland.
Nice of day Towarisch

But first and foremost comrade ! You have been mislead all along.
I am not of russian blood towarisch - And all i just stated is to my pure amusement and the sicker kicks of it.

But hey to be honest - As a German - Dont **** with Russia it would be bloody messy and nobody will win a damn thing if we are done destroying ourselfs.
My bet would be on Russia but it would be a close call mate. Yet i know how russians fight and are - they are just a nick harder if it comes to taking **** .
Yet i have served with US- Soldiers in the past and i do not doubt the will to fight or the level on wich they operate.
So cheers mate
User avatar #430 to #428 - meganinja (07/19/2014) [-]
I don't think the will of the people is going to keep somebody alive after getting hit by a bomb. Face it, Russia isn't as strong as the USSR was. Unless it comes down to exhanging nukes, Russia will lose, or at least not win. And if nukes are used, Russia and the USA will become total nuclear wastelands.
#431 to #430 - zielscheibe (07/19/2014) [-]
Yeah that would be  a total 			***********		 with the bombs 'n 			****		    
   
Modern Russia is ... well i guess 2/3   or 50 % as strong as the  soviet union was .   
But i think the will of the russian people should be taken into count   
   
I mean - my great grandfather was serving on the eastern front ( and others of my family too )  And they all told us that it was amazing  or stunning  how strong the russian people held against them no matter what happened or what little they had left. You  just could not knock them down hard enough to make them stay down for long.   
And they had to take a lot of 			****		 back than - Sure the Soviet Union was way bigger and it was other times - yet as i went trough russia on my travels it is still a strong will inside the hearts of those people . Most of them nice and friendly folks - but tough as 			****		 if they need to be.   
   
So lets hope it wont turn out to be a worst case thing -  I fear a great deal of europe would be the first place to kick the bucket  in a clasch of  the two  titans  USA and Russia
Yeah that would be a total *********** with the bombs 'n ****

Modern Russia is ... well i guess 2/3 or 50 % as strong as the soviet union was .
But i think the will of the russian people should be taken into count

I mean - my great grandfather was serving on the eastern front ( and others of my family too ) And they all told us that it was amazing or stunning how strong the russian people held against them no matter what happened or what little they had left. You just could not knock them down hard enough to make them stay down for long.
And they had to take a lot of **** back than - Sure the Soviet Union was way bigger and it was other times - yet as i went trough russia on my travels it is still a strong will inside the hearts of those people . Most of them nice and friendly folks - but tough as **** if they need to be.

So lets hope it wont turn out to be a worst case thing - I fear a great deal of europe would be the first place to kick the bucket in a clasch of the two titans USA and Russia
#141 to #106 - zielscheibe (07/19/2014) [-]
Silly American- Europe is of happening with Mother Russia now
because of much american misslead and conflict
because of distrust for american intelligence doing spy game with everybodys

You see comrade , U.S of A is not praised master of freedom and liberties anymore
Glorious Putin will put you in your place
Praise the Motherland - Za Rodina !
Have a nice of day - oh , and start of learning russian today Towarish !

User avatar #292 - mewxchii (07/19/2014) [-]
He called the game soccer instead of football and he's obviously in a different country. Why would we give in to your customs when you've already given in to ours?
User avatar #272 - elcreepo (07/19/2014) [-]
Soccer is about as interesting as tennis to me.

And now I'm awaiting the shipment of angry comments due to my expressing my opinion
#296 to #272 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
Wow, you love tennis and worship it like a god!?
lel
#85 - robuntu (07/19/2014) [-]
True story - I live in Europe.....

If I go to buy a TV - it is advertised in inches. The plates at the gym I go to still have pounds printed on the side. I have plenty of co-workers who measure distance in miles instead of kilometres. oh, and cooking.....none of the recipes I've found here use the metric system.

The only thing people seem to consistently use here is C instead of F for temperatures - and that's probably the one example where there is absolutely no benefit. The range of temps I've seen go from about 15 to 22. Nobody is converting to another unit.
User avatar #86 to #85 - testaburger (07/19/2014) [-]
Where in europe do you live?
#87 to #86 - robuntu (07/19/2014) [-]
Dublin, Ireland.

User avatar #88 to #87 - testaburger (07/19/2014) [-]
Figured.

The UK is somewhat unusual in their use of units.
The rest of europe is a lot more consistent.
#197 to #88 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
It's difficult to change these things. My parents were taught both system, I was only taught metric. I think we will get there eventually, just changing all the roads signs will be expensive.
User avatar #104 to #88 - stefanovic ONLINE (07/19/2014) [-]
Despite Dublin not really being part of the UK,
testaburger is 100% right. TV's and tire sizes are still advertised in inches, all other things are measured in (centi)meters. And where I live, no one really knows how long a mile is.
#2 - anon (07/18/2014) [-]
Only the united states?

So Burma and Liberia just don't exist?
User avatar #6 to #2 - wedgehead (07/18/2014) [-]
He didnt even mentioned the USA.
User avatar #56 - negitivzero (07/19/2014) [-]
while the metric system is way better for science, I feel the Imperial system has a better scale for every day use for some of the units
#439 to #56 - anon (07/20/2014) [-]
Nope. Everyday use comes down to habbit. There is no "better" there is only a "I'm used to"
User avatar #286 - xjiicx (07/19/2014) [-]
I actually am better withe metric system due to science class ( i like science) and i'm more familiar with meters cuz Battlefield. ( I snipe alot.)

true story.jpeg
#295 to #286 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
Only the stupid ones don't know both in America.
User avatar #251 - Greevon (07/19/2014) [-]
Most Americans know both. We use metric for science and imperial for casual conversation. And that's because imperial is a lot more geared towards everyday situations while metric system is aimed at being precise.
You could say that a sandwich is "A foot long" or that the sandiwch is "30 centimeters/ .3 meters"
I'll take the foot.
User avatar #283 to #251 - thatoneiranianguy (07/19/2014) [-]
I agree with this.

In the shop we always use metric because 1. It's precise and 2. It's fairly standard world wide.

So I think this argument is really dumb, because if anything most people know both systems and like you said - applies each on to specific situations where they're required. So seriously the rest of the world need to go worry about itself.
User avatar #298 to #251 - blesstheinternet (07/19/2014) [-]
i live in canada, we do the exact same thing. i know my body weight in pounds, not kilograms. i eat ounces of steak, and the TV is a few feet away from the couch.

i don't get the fuss, Americans aren't the only ones. just because it's not the official system doesn't mean you/we won't/don't stop using it.
User avatar #231 - skeptical (07/19/2014) [-]
We use imperial for casual measurements and metric for scientific measurements, simply because that is what they are optimal for
#73 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
americans sure are stupid =)
#39 to #38 - epicscorpion (07/19/2014) [-]
Who lost a ton of money because of a conversion error on an extremely important calculation?
#76 to #39 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
The physicists insisted on metric, the engineers used imperial, and in the end a ******** of money was wasted.
User avatar #226 to #38 - jokexplain (07/19/2014) [-]
americans who used the metric system.
User avatar #270 to #38 - riddlerenigma (07/19/2014) [-]
A surrender flag, that still blows.
User avatar #273 to #38 - elcreepo (07/19/2014) [-]
our flag has turned white

It's now the frenchmen's moon
#44 to #38 - someoneforamoment (07/19/2014) [-]
The French. haven't you looked at it recently?
#55 to #38 - thismustbeseen (07/19/2014) [-]
... and it was the greatest thing America has ever done, IMO.

If it's a source of that much pride, why is it not funded?
#149 to #55 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
1966 was the highest % for nasa, while 2010 was the lowest %, yet in 2010 they got the most money.

% of a budget only means something if the budget stays the same. luckily that budget increases like crazy
#148 to #55 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
that's pretty stupid. that less % of it is still more.

In 1966 4.41% was 5,933 million dollars.
in 2000 with 0.75% it was 13,428 million dollars.
in 2010 with 0.52% it was 18,724 million dollars.

ShadeElement: sure private space programs are nice, up until you realize that they base most of their work of NASA's and the US gov pays them (like SpaceX, and that other big private space program
User avatar #403 to #148 - zevran (07/19/2014) [-]
6 billion in 1966 isn't the same as 6 billion in 2010 though.

You've got to account for inflation. Otherwise you're just throwing meaningless numbers about.
User avatar #72 to #55 - ShadeElement (07/19/2014) [-]
Because NASA is a bureaucratic government turtle swamped with red tape.

Privatization is the future of space. The X-Prize race to space proved that.
#61 to #55 - ronjeremysweiner (07/19/2014) [-]
cuz we already won
#60 to #55 - wraithguard (07/19/2014) [-]
Because we already did it.
User avatar #127 to #38 - alphabetaanon (07/19/2014) [-]
Well, considering the americans managed to capture and employ von Braun, the German (which means metric) scientist-in-chief of the V2-program, and considered the father of rocket science, it's odd it took such a long time.
#126 to #38 - angelwithashotgun (07/19/2014) [-]
Because NASA used imperial units
Because NASA used imperial units
#78 to #38 - gdikodiak (07/19/2014) [-]
**gdikodiak rolled image** you dont need metric system to shot a movie, right?
dont hate me, its just a joke
#90 to #38 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
w/e faggot

#232 to #90 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
Whose country still exists then?
#445 to #232 - anon (07/24/2014) [-]
>implying the Soviet Union was anything economically other than Russia and Ukraine
#312 to #90 - anon (07/19/2014) [-]
by the way, scientists worldwide use the metric system because it is precise. Your trip to the moon was calculated with km, kg and all the other metric units.

you're welcome
#117 to #38 - gremious (07/19/2014) [-]
Because it's on the moon, the flag slowly lost color and became pure white.

So France's.
[ 442 comments ]
Leave a comment
 Friends (0)